Like Tree43Likes

MST TCR

Old 05-01-2020, 04:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
So Solidworks and some hours after...
Duuuude, way cool. A few months back I tried to make a lowered motor mount for my FWD by modding the bumper and... Well let's just say it's a good thing I bought a spare bumper beforehand . It's definitely doable, but if you don't have a mill it's just bound to be a hackjob. However if you do have a mill, while you're at it you could mill a 2mm pocket under the motor and lower it by almost 8mm. Crazy. Aaanyway, three comments/questions regarding your motor mount. Keep in mind I don't have the car with me so maybe this is all moot. (i) Can't you "rotate" the mouting holes for the motor? (ii) Does the hole for the diff have to be this big? (iii) How about a fillet at the bottom of the pillars? I know you've probably used extra long screws which go all the way through the mount but still.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello,
Is someone already try this chassis in Rwd version?
I have this chassis in FWD but I am thinking about to built up a "VTA" version.
Tires and body VTA style.
What do you think about?
What is
Old 05-01-2020, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The differential hole is this big because of the form of the diffential. I think we can achieve something smaller if we go for a conic hole, with a proper chamfer.
I think we can move the fixation holes also, I just did not want to think about how many millimeters you should have for each pinion, I just copied the design for now.
There is chamfer where you asked for but:
- It is only 0.5mm.
- Chamfers are good idea on CNC, but on 3D-printer, it is not automatically a good idea.

You can find the model here: https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints...ed-motor-mount
tygertyger likes this.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would love a mount where we can run huge pinions, instead of me jacking up my metal one.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:28 AM
Tech Rookie

After testing with a stock version of the TCR FF, I started with a second chassis with some mods.
First mods with standard MST alu motor mount and alu diff + locked.
It works good, but on carpet the whole chassis is too soft and the grip is not the best.
Especially if it must run under ETS or RCK Challenge regulation with a min weight of 1250gr. .
I must load more then 150 gr. weight to reach the minimum. Its difficult to find enough space for all the weight 😉

Latest mods were carbon chassis with shorten WB to 237mm for my HPI Peugeot 106 Maxi shell and oil damper on the rear.
The rear is build with +5 mm per side to make it wider for the body.

Unfortunately the home track is closed and it is not possible to test.

Sorry, pics comes later. Its first allowed to post pics after 2 posts and Im a newbi here. 😩

cheers,
dash
Old 05-27-2020, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

If you must reach minimum weight, you should go for an aluminium chassis, it could help. But I think that with that additional weight you will have problem with springs...
gigaplex likes this.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dashfinder View Post
After testing with a stock version of the TCR FF, I started with a second chassis with some mods.
First mods with standard MST alu motor mount and alu diff + locked.
It works good, but on carpet the whole chassis is too soft and the grip is not the best.
Especially if it must run under ETS or RCK Challenge regulation with a min weight of 1250gr. .
I must load more then 150 gr. weight to reach the minimum. Its difficult to find enough space for all the weight 😉

Latest mods were carbon chassis with shorten WB to 237mm for my HPI Peugeot 106 Maxi shell and oil damper on the rear.
The rear is build with +5 mm per side to make it wider for the body.

Unfortunately the home track is closed and it is not possible to test.

Sorry, pics comes later. Its first allowed to post pics after 2 posts and Im a newbi here. 😩

cheers,
dash
I don't see how it's difficult to find space to add weight. The chassis is little more than a flat plate with tons of room to stick stuff too.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes, with the additional weight the springs are too soft. With the hardest option springs from MST the minumum height of 5mm on carpet is not possible.

On the chassis is space for weight, if the balance between front and rear is not important also enough for more then 150gr. .
The alu chassis is a good idea. Many thanks!

Do yo run the TCR without additional weight? Whats the regularies in your region?

Greetings,

dash
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

I would love a motor mount this is pretty much a stock one, but has provisions to add WAY bigger pinions to it. I can make the stock hole bigger but there is only so much room to allow adjustment.

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
I still have the project to build a RWD version but the design of the motor mount is really silly when put in back. The motor 6mm above the chassis. I did not find it problematic with the FWD version but still I would like to try a lowered version...

So Solidworks and some hours after...

I've printed it with carbon-reinforced PETG, that's why it seems grainy...
Once mounted on the car, it is a little bit stiffer than the original plastic support but the motor is now 0.5mm above the chassis \o/
As you can see I've went for asymmetric design because it is easier to 3d-print. By the way I have the two version, left or right.

I can upload the STL files if somebody is interested.

That thing put aside... Do we talk about that?

M-chassis version with a proper McPherson implementation!
Old 06-03-2020, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Something like that?

I don't have a 74 spur gear butt this is a 83T with a 53T in 64DP, should be enough (that's 1:1.56), right?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Yes. I would love something like that.
Im ok with using the stock spur that comes with the kit.
I just need huge pinion for drag racing
Can you print that?
I will gladly send you some paypal money for one
Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

So I managed to cut the metal motor mount and shove a 23t pinion on it.
With the 6.5t motor and timing all set up is a beast of a car. I lost in the first round by a half a car length and it was a 4tec on 3s on foams(im still on 2s)
Im on giant foams and it spins for at least 122ft
So now i need to figure out how to add weight in the front and not bottom out all the time, May try some sort of stopper on the springs
I may add some stick on weights to the inside of the wheels were I have room, Need a brass hex adapter, maybe some weight in the bumper foam.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

If I understand correctly, you are talking about drag racing, so front suspensions is totally useless to you. Juste remove the springs and install a section of a silicone tube with the proper diameter (like watercooling tube or aquarium tube). You should be perfectly fine... I would also recommend to use a very short servo horn, so you have a lot of precision in your steering, even if you only reach 15 (more than enough for drag racing)

I'm not familiar with the category but is the battery type imposed? I mean voltage and current, but also type, LiPo, LiFe, etc...
Old 08-10-2020, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redemon View Post
Yes. I would love something like that.
Im ok with using the stock spur that comes with the kit.
I just need huge pinion for drag racing
Can you print that?
I will gladly send you some paypal money for one
Sorry I miss your message there. I live on the other side of the planet, but if you find somebody to print it for you near you, I can gladly share the files if you want. But honestly, if you are going for 6.5T, I think that going lower that 1:3.5 would be counter-productive
Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

So i would be put in a basic 2wd class. There is really no rules to what I can do to be honest.
Im gonna start tuning on 3s once I get the traction part figured out.
Im using the 6.5t now. Thought about going to a 3.5t. Lol
Im thinking maybe going up a few more teeth on the pinion will help some.
But traction will always be the problem with this car sadly. Just like every FWD car on the planet. Lol
I thought about building another one and doing a AWD setup. That could be a fun and challenging project for sure.

I have some folks that can print for me. So a file would be awesome. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.