Old 11-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

I have just finished building mine

WOW, having built AE Touring cars since the tc4, this is fantastic!.

my only gripe would be the lack of a antenna post holder, but thats nothing a bit of tape didnt fix

I have used the same electronics since the tc6 and this is the first time the car (for me) is underweight out of the box,

it was well worth the wait for me

looking forward to trying it out in the weekend

Ed
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Belt tension question

Bear with me on this one I tried to research belt tension and could not find anything....................anyhow after racing 2wd offroad for decades I purchased a TC7.2.

I just finished building it last night and my esc/motor combo should be arriving by the end of the week. Anyhow the rear diff moves freely and is like any diff more or less.........and I used the recommended 9th belt tension option (per AE's recommendation) and the front spool is good to go.

By moving the spur gear and/or the belts I can move the entire drivetrain, but it isn't exactly easy. There are no hang-ups, it does move on a consistent basis, but it does take a little umph to get it going. Again... I have zero experience with 4wd onroad or offroad for this matter.

So I figured I would ask for help before installing the esc/motor combo and overheating something. I wish I could describe it more... again it does move it's just a little tougher than I imagined, but I guess with all the speed and velocity that the 2 belts have it would have to be tight? Any advice would rock, and again I did research belt tension with no luck so truly any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmuscles View Post
Bear with me on this one I tried to research belt tension and could not find anything....................anyhow after racing 2wd offroad for decades I purchased a TC7.2.

I just finished building it last night and my esc/motor combo should be arriving by the end of the week. Anyhow the rear diff moves freely and is like any diff more or less.........and I used the recommended 9th belt tension option (per AE's recommendation) and the front spool is good to go.

By moving the spur gear and/or the belts I can move the entire drivetrain, but it isn't exactly easy. There are no hang-ups, it does move on a consistent basis, but it does take a little umph to get it going. Again... I have zero experience with 4wd onroad or offroad for this matter.

So I figured I would ask for help before installing the esc/motor combo and overheating something. I wish I could describe it more... again it does move it's just a little tougher than I imagined, but I guess with all the speed and velocity that the 2 belts have it would have to be tight? Any advice would rock, and again I did research belt tension with no luck so truly any advice is appreciated.
Without the motor and gears installed it should be really easy to grab the front belt and pull, or a front tire and spin it. It should spin freely.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by tbrymer View Post
Without the motor and gears installed it should be really easy to grab the front belt and pull, or a front tire and spin it. It should spin freely.
thanks... with everything installed but the motor/pinion (spur, spool and rear diff gears installed) thereís quite a bit of tension.

Appreciate it Iím gonna look it over tonight for sure.

thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

thanks... with everything installed but the motor/pinion (spur, spool and rear diff gears installed) thereís quite a bit of tension.

Appreciate it Iím gonna look it over tonight for sure.

thanks!
Should be really free
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Spur gear

Originally Posted by tbrymer View Post
Should be really free
I royally botched the spur gear! Problem solved except for the fact Iím a Teacher and yet canít comprehend instructions.... thanks for your help
tbrymer likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 AM
jpx
Tech Adept

I royally botched the spur gear! Problem solved except for the fact I’m a Teacher and yet can’t comprehend instructions.... thanks for your help
Obviously you allready solved the problem.
anyway thats how I try to make sure the drivetrain is free:
1. bearings on each wheel -> remove casterblock with steering block, turn DCV -> you will feel, if any bearing is binding
2. Diff/spool -> DCV still not attached; belts removed -> diff/spool should run free; if not check bearings or if the bulkheads jam the diff/spool
3. attach DCV, casterblock/steering block again (belts still removed) -> whole assembly front and rear should still run free
4. Spur gear (belts still removed) -> you should feel, if a bearing will bind
5. attach belts again -> whole drivetrain should still run free

You can also go the oposite direction 5. -> 1.
If 5. is ok, you might not like to check 4. to 1.

Last edited by jpx; 11-06-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by jpx View Post

Obviously you allready solved the problem.
anyway thats how I try to make shure the drivetrain is free:
1. bearings on each wheel -> remove casterblock with steering block, turn DCV -> you will feel, if any bearing is binding
2. Diff/spool -> DCV still not attached; belts removed -> diff/spool should run free; if not check bearings or if the bulkheads jam the diff/spool
3. attach DCV, casterblock/steering block again (belts still removed) -> whole assembly front and rear should still run free
4. Spur gear (belts still removed) -> you should feel, if a bearing will bind
5. attach belts again -> whole drivetrain should still run free

You can also go the oposite direction 5. -> 1.
If 5. is ok, you might not like to check 4. to 1.

Right on this will eliminate any possible problems should something come up. Thanks for taking the time to post this. We are headed to 5280 in Denver this weekend.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Right on this will eliminate any possible problems should something come up. Thanks for taking the time to post this. We are headed to 5280 in Denver this weekend.
Will you be racing there? I am a local.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anybody else had a problem cracking shock eyelets? I split 3 over the weekend from just traction rolling
Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

none here... can you post a pic?
Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

From Fenix Racing...
Flexy'n'sexy for the 7.2

Old 11-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

anybody have a problem with the diff leaking i run a race and diff oil leaking out ? rubber o ring is in
Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Megatron328 View Post
Will you be racing there? I am a local.
i practiced last Sunday there. The 3 guys that were there helped me adjust everything, it was a great time. Iím not sure if we will head up thee this Sunday but in the future weíll try to come up as much as possible.

The 7.2ís trim is perfect at low speed however under throttle it pulls slightly to the left. I checked camber, toe in, shocks, wheels, sway bars... canít figure it out, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service