Like Tree44Likes

21.5 motor

Old 08-10-2018, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
I am saying if you choose to run at a sanctioned event, you should familiarize yourself with the rules for the class you intend to run. Whether something "should be legal" is irrelevant, the rules state what is and what isn't. If you don't agree with the rules, that's fine, there's no obligation for you to participate.
leave it up to bert lol
Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am saying if you choose to run at a sanctioned event, you should familiarize yourself with the rules for the class you intend to run. Whether something "should be legal" is irrelevant, the rules state what is and what isn't. If you don't agree with the rules, that's fine, there's no obligation for you to participate.
Roar has a list of legal rotors that still can't be used in spec racing without consulting a Lawyer first: what was the point of the tuning rotor list if they could not be used at all ? The rules have never been clear and airtight, and posting the rules and the list does not help at all when you can't deem a rotor(12.0mm with 7.25mm shaft) legal that falls within the posted specs and might be on the roar spec list....How can racers be sure that the rotor that came with the motor is actually legal when some motors have come with illegal rotors from the manufacturers? I guess they'll have to buy another motor, since they can't use a tuning rotor... Endless Confusion is the perfect way to keep some 'unwanted' racers or manufacturers from ever participating....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-10-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Roar has a list of legal rotors that still can't be used in spec racing without consulting a Lawyer first: what was the point of the tuning rotor list if they could not be used at all ? The rules have never been clear and airtight, and posting the rules and the list does not help at all when you can't deem a rotor(12.0mm with 7.25mm shaft) legal that falls within the posted specs and might be on the roar spec list....How can racers be sure that the rotor that came with the motor is actually legal when some motors have come with illegal rotors from the manufacturers? I guess they'll have to buy another motor, since they can't use a tuning rotor... Endless Confusion is the perfect way to keep some 'unwanted' racers or manufacturers from ever participating....
I can race a spec class without needing a lawyer.

So maybe it's just you?

Look I'll spell it out for you, this is the scrutineering procedures I did up for an event a year or so ago maybe it will help I tried to spell everything out pretty clearly so that anyone at the club can confidently tech motors and it's worked pretty well from what I have seen.
Attached Files
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

And my god I'm so glad can am is right around the corner to set a single motor to use for a entire yr for all supprting events !
I got a headache from the above info (good info about that specific motor) too much to have to deal with
JC3 likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

I can race a spec class without needing a lawyer.

So maybe it's just you?

Look I'll spell it out for you, this is the scrutineering procedures I did up for an event a year or so ago maybe it will help I tried to spell everything out pretty clearly so that anyone at the club can confidently tech motors and it's worked pretty well from what I have seen.
It is a time consuming process that most tracks avoid with their spec classes, but instead of selling racers sealed(unsealed motors can't race) motors for a year, they prefer to charge the racers and keep all the motors, which won't work right since some will just take the motor they paid for home anyway instead of returning it at the end of the day... I think Roar needs to assign yearly a National sealed spec motor that can be used in any US track Spec event. This way the racer will only make one purchase per year for all spec events... If the motor craps out, buy a new sealed one...
Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is a time consuming process that most tracks avoid with their spec classes, but instead of selling racers sealed(unsealed motors can't race) motors for a year, they prefer to charge the racers and keep all the motors, which won't work right since some will just take the motor they paid for home anyway instead of returning it at the end of the day... I think Roar needs to assign yearly a National sealed spec motor that can be used in any US track Spec event. This way the racer will only make one purchase per year for all spec events... If the motor craps out, buy a new sealed one...
Brushless motors last longer than a year. Why should people have to keep buying new ones every year?
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

If you want every three or ten year, no problem, as long as the tracks offer an approved maintenance/reseal service to make sure the motors stay as spec as possible...
Old 08-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Brushless motors last longer than a year. Why should people have to keep buying new ones every year?
bottom line

Sales .... If one manufacturer sells motors for one class forever that essentially have a manolipy on the sales so to keep things fair a new motor will be chosen by can am yearly to the company that best fits the class ...
Old 08-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
bottom line

Sales .... If one manufacturer sells motors for one class forever that essentially have a manolipy on the sales so to keep things fair a new motor will be chosen by can am yearly to the company that best fits the class ...
What is a manolipy again ???... lol...
Monopoly maybe....Just saying....Don't crucify BERT !!!
At this point, I think a 'Cheaters 21.5t class' would not be such a bad idea....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-10-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What is a manolipy again ???... lol...
Monopoly maybe....Just saying....Don't crucify BERT !!!
At this point, I think a 'Cheaters 21.5t class' would not be such a bad idea....
Whats wrong with following the rules?

Want to run 21.5? Follow the rules? Want to go faster? Run 13.5 or Mod etc

Why do we need cheater classes to further dilute the racing community, pretty soon we'll have 100 classes with 2 participants in each if we follow that logic.

Marcos.J and gigaplex like this.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All lot of crying out there. I bet most of those out there crying about the ROAR rules aren't members. ROAR is the santioning body that everyone likes to not join but is the first to shout foul.
WE race 21.5 in our gt12's and most use the same brand of motors "TRINITY'" .were all about the same just driving skill is the difference..Face it folks some people drive better than you. Cheaters are cheaters. . We've - had cheaters caught the and it's not only motors - some people are color blind (red and green).
Can-Am is not the answer- just approach the cheaters and ask them to leave-simple. The big races have tech - just enforce the ROAR rules. Don't like there rules - oh well not the first time nor the last..ROAR#7540.
Almost forgot the charging of batteries 40-50-60-70 amps? Should you limit that also???
Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
All lot of crying out there. I bet most of those out there crying about the ROAR rules aren't members. ROAR is the santioning body that everyone likes to not join but is the first to shout foul.
WE race 21.5 in our gt12's and most use the same brand of motors "TRINITY'" .were all about the same just driving skill is the difference..Face it folks some people drive better than you. Cheaters are cheaters. . We've - had cheaters caught the and it's not only motors - some people are color blind (red and green).
Can-Am is not the answer- just approach the cheaters and ask them to leave-simple. The big races have tech - just enforce the ROAR rules. Don't like there rules - oh well not the first time nor the last..ROAR#7540.
Almost forgot the charging of batteries 40-50-60-70 amps? Should you limit that also???
They're doing that here in Aust, 10 Amp charge rate is the stated limit now.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
bottom line

so all the tracks tht spend a few thousand on motors for all of the Can-am classes, or the people that buy the motors (if that will be allowed) will have to purchase new motors every year to stay within the Can-am rules? I’m still lost on how this will save anyone money.

is there any plan on what to do with all of “last years” motors? Or will those just become paperwieghts?

Last question, when tracks purchase these new motors every year in lots of 20,30,40 and so on for each class based on predicted participant levels, do they buy them straight from the manufacturer, or through someone at the Can-am series?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

so all the tracks tht spend a few thousand on motors for all of the Can-am classes, or the people that buy the motors (if that will be allowed) will have to purchase new motors every year to stay within the Can-am rules? I’m still lost on how this will save anyone money.

is there any plan on what to do with all of “last years” motors? Or will those just become paperwieghts?

Last question, when tracks purchase these new motors every year in lots of 20,30,40 and so on for each class based on predicted participant levels, do they buy them straight from the manufacturer, or through someone at the Can-am series?
Official events representing camam will possibly change motors after 1yr ... Not sating it Will but manufactures will have the opertunity to present there motors to be the new motor for the following season . now some tracks will continue to use whatever motor they choose if the club descides to continue using the motors longer than a yr .... Thats intirely up to each race/club ... Can am is just the go between to keep manufactures from constantly evolving motors and pushing the already past edge of legality.... That why theres no more motor of the month... Look at the NYGP race 130 entries signed up from everywhere within 24hrs ... All classes are Can am speced and the chosen motors havnt even been realeased to the publics ear yet ....
As im sure there will be room for improvement as thwre always is ... But I think its a step innthe right dirrection ... No need to chase rpm stator ,legal rpm rotor ... Finding perfect timing , and then finding the gearing .... Over/dont .
Can am= run this motor , at this FDR .... And drive
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you really think that the one motor made to the same specs are all going to e equal - good luck. You have to factor in batteries, car setup and the driving ablilty of the individual..Then you have the age factor. Not everyone has the same reflexes. You are never going to have equal in racing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.