Like Tree47Likes

ISTC 2018

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tygertyger View Post
I kinda feel bad for Xray if they end up winning that title in South Africa. I know they are already world champs in other classes, but I suspect the EP TC title is the one they want most (that's where they started as a company after all). It would suck if any mention of their first TC WC was forever followed by the precision "...but none of the other big teams showed up that year". Like with poor Martin Achter's title...
no Yokomo doesnít mean no Ronald....
Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Ronald is on the list, as are other Yok drivers and also Gilles (infinity).

It would be a shame for X-ray if they didnít have any real competition though. They are on fire at the moment so they do have all the momentum. Letís hope the drivers do all turn up, I always enjoy the worlds and seeing the teams duke it out.

Last edited by Qatmix; 08-10-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Because it was the FAMAR Blocs turn in the rotation, and there was a strong bid by Welkom to host. To be frank, so what if it is not a hot bed today, i guarantee the faciltiy far outstrips anything in the UK...

And as for the attendees, look who was there at the Worlds warmup... everyone went, so why the excuses now?
Red RC ? RC Car News Ľ Coelho & Hagberg successful at IFMAR Worlds warm-up
Facility isn't everything, and the UK seems to be the only country that has zero funding support from the government.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Facility isn't everything, and the UK seems to be the only country that has zero funding support from the government.
Facility is a massive part of it, dont kid yourself.
Given that the sport is already recognised by the MSA in the UK, I'd say you have a pretty good leg to leverage.
Out here in Australia, we have no government funding, as we have no recognition as a Sport (something the governing body is trying to change). Yet we have the 8th scale off-road worlds this year, and our best on-road facilty has hosted worlds in the past. So thats shoots the government funding excuse out the water...
Old 08-09-2018, 05:45 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Facility is a massive part of it, dont kid yourself.
Given that the sport is already recognised by the MSA in the UK, I'd say you have a pretty good leg to leverage.
Out here in Australia, we have no government funding, as we have no recognition as a Sport (something the governing body is trying to change). Yet we have the 8th scale off-road worlds this year, and our best on-road facilty has hosted worlds in the past. So thats shoots the government funding excuse out the water...
Although rc car racing is officially recognised as a sport now in the UK, which like you say should mean there is funding available, unfortunately this hasn't been the case. And how were those facilities paid for then?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Ronald is on the list, as are other Yok drivers and also Gilles (infinity).

it would be massively hollow for X-ray if they didnít have any real competition though. Which is a shame as I always enjoy the worlds and seeing the teams duke it out.
know for a fact that Gilles will not go.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It really is a shame that more teams are not attending and blaming it on the country. Could make for an incredible weekend. The facility is one of the best to ever host. If funds would allow I would definitely be there.

The travel advisory "excuses" are realy a crock of s**t. Disease? Really? This, if it was even an issue would happen in Marginal areas of the country. Googling outbreak in South Africa brings up a Listeria outbreak, and that was due to tainted Bologna sandwich meat.

SA may be Dangerous if you step outside into the slums and wonder around, but being in good neighborhoods, much like anywhere else in the world, the chances of something "happening" to you are slim to none. A good indicator of violent crime for a city/country is Murder rate. For example, Cancun Mexico is one of the most dangerous places in the World right now, far more violent and people still go. The murder rate here is 3-4 times higher than Welkom at 112 per 100,000. Whereas Welkom is somewhere areound 30-34 per 100,000.

For some shock value, and illustration purposes, this is similar to:
-Kansas City (31.2 per 100,000)
-Las Vegas (31.4 per 100,000)
-Cleveland (33.7 per 100,000)

and lower than:

-Detroit (39.7 per 100,000)
-New Orleans (40.6 per 100,000)
-Baltimore (51.1 per 100,000)
and in #1 spot
-St. Louis (64.9 per 100,000)

Just some food for thought. Going to south South Africa is more similar to visiting Brazil than it is to Somalia, Sudan and the Congo.
dawgmeat likes this.

Last edited by CristianTabush; 08-09-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Beating competitors at the pre-worlds into submission to the point of them no longer attending the worlds is not a hollow victory. Congrats to the undisputed champ
dawgmeat and Qatmix like this.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
It really is a shame that more teams are not attending and blaming it on the country. Could make for an incredible weekend. The facility is one of the best to ever host. If funds would allow I would definitely be there.

The travel advisory "excuses" are realy a crock of s**t. Disease? Really? This, if it was even an issue would happen in Marginal areas of the country. Googling outbreak in South Africa brings up a Listeria outbreak, and that was due to tainted Bologna sandwich meat.

SA may be Dangerous if you step outside into the slums and wonder around, but being in good neighborhoods, much like anywhere else in the world, the chances of something "happening" to you are slim to none. A good indicator of violent crime for a city/country is Murder rate. For example, Cancun Mexico is one of the most dangerous places in the World right now, far more violent and people still go. The murder rate here is 3-4 times higher than Welkom at 112 per 100,000. Whereas Welkom is somewhere areound 30-34 per 100,000.

and lower than:

and in #1 spot

Just some food for thought. Going to south South Africa is more similar to visiting Brazil than it is to Somalia, Sudan and the Congo.
agreed I have gone for work in Burundi and Rwanda itís nothing like in South Africa
Old 08-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
If manufacturers had planned to skip the race, they should have said something in advance. I am surprised they were not as vocal as they were last time. And I am not talking about 2009. Most don't realize that the 2010 ISTC Worlds were scheduled for South Africa but because of what happened in 2009 the teams all said they would not go. Because of this the event organizers had no choice but to abandon the event and it was moved to Burgdorf, Germany and was highly successful.

The bloc rotation needs to be used as a guideline but local class popularity AND the ability to run a great event must be considered. South Africa was likely not the best choice if IFMAR wants to have a full event. That said, I think the US should never have an ISTC Worlds either because of lack of local support for the IFMAR classes.

Is Associated sending anybody to the worlds
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Although rc car racing is officially recognised as a sport now in the UK, which like you say should mean there is funding available, unfortunately this hasn't been the case. And how were those facilities paid for then?
Clubs taking out loans, years of member fees, sponsorships, and members putting in personal funds, time and effort. As you would expect.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Your analogy is spot on. But I wouldnít trust the published crime figures. Welkom is quite a way (300km) from Joíburg which is a place you donít leave your hotel at night, ever, but itís still got its own share of problems.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

...... our best on-road facilty has hosted worlds in the past....
England Park?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
England Park?
yep!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

and lower than:

and in #1 spot

Like I will never ever leave Switzerland again lol (2.9 per 100'000)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service