Like Tree47Likes

ISTC 2018

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:13 AM
  #46  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,515
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tygertyger View Post
I kinda feel bad for Xray if they end up winning that title in South Africa. I know they are already world champs in other classes, but I suspect the EP TC title is the one they want most (that's where they started as a company after all). It would suck if any mention of their first TC WC was forever followed by the precision "...but none of the other big teams showed up that year". Like with poor Martin Achter's title...
no Yokomo doesnít mean no Ronald....
cplus is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 AM
  #47  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,315
Default

Ronald is on the list, as are other Yok drivers and also Gilles (infinity).

It would be a shame for X-ray if they didnít have any real competition though. They are on fire at the moment so they do have all the momentum. Letís hope the drivers do all turn up, I always enjoy the worlds and seeing the teams duke it out.

Last edited by Qatmix; 08-10-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Qatmix is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 AM
  #48  
Bar
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Because it was the FAMAR Blocs turn in the rotation, and there was a strong bid by Welkom to host. To be frank, so what if it is not a hot bed today, i guarantee the faciltiy far outstrips anything in the UK...

And as for the attendees, look who was there at the Worlds warmup... everyone went, so why the excuses now?
Red RC ? RC Car News Ľ Coelho & Hagberg successful at IFMAR Worlds warm-up
Facility isn't everything, and the UK seems to be the only country that has zero funding support from the government.
Bar is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 AM
  #49  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,338
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Facility isn't everything, and the UK seems to be the only country that has zero funding support from the government.
Facility is a massive part of it, dont kid yourself.
Given that the sport is already recognised by the MSA in the UK, I'd say you have a pretty good leg to leverage.
Out here in Australia, we have no government funding, as we have no recognition as a Sport (something the governing body is trying to change). Yet we have the 8th scale off-road worlds this year, and our best on-road facilty has hosted worlds in the past. So thats shoots the government funding excuse out the water...
TryHard is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:45 AM
  #50  
Bar
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Facility is a massive part of it, dont kid yourself.
Given that the sport is already recognised by the MSA in the UK, I'd say you have a pretty good leg to leverage.
Out here in Australia, we have no government funding, as we have no recognition as a Sport (something the governing body is trying to change). Yet we have the 8th scale off-road worlds this year, and our best on-road facilty has hosted worlds in the past. So thats shoots the government funding excuse out the water...
Although rc car racing is officially recognised as a sport now in the UK, which like you say should mean there is funding available, unfortunately this hasn't been the case. And how were those facilities paid for then?
Bar is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 AM
  #51  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
whityboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Ronald is on the list, as are other Yok drivers and also Gilles (infinity).

it would be massively hollow for X-ray if they didnít have any real competition though. Which is a shame as I always enjoy the worlds and seeing the teams duke it out.
know for a fact that Gilles will not go.
whityboy is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 AM
  #52  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,970
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

It really is a shame that more teams are not attending and blaming it on the country. Could make for an incredible weekend. The facility is one of the best to ever host. If funds would allow I would definitely be there.

The travel advisory "excuses" are realy a crock of s**t. Disease? Really? This, if it was even an issue would happen in Marginal areas of the country. Googling outbreak in South Africa brings up a Listeria outbreak, and that was due to tainted Bologna sandwich meat.

SA may be Dangerous if you step outside into the slums and wonder around, but being in good neighborhoods, much like anywhere else in the world, the chances of something "happening" to you are slim to none. A good indicator of violent crime for a city/country is Murder rate. For example, Cancun Mexico is one of the most dangerous places in the World right now, far more violent and people still go. The murder rate here is 3-4 times higher than Welkom at 112 per 100,000. Whereas Welkom is somewhere areound 30-34 per 100,000.

For some shock value, and illustration purposes, this is similar to:
-Kansas City (31.2 per 100,000)
-Las Vegas (31.4 per 100,000)
-Cleveland (33.7 per 100,000)

and lower than:

-Detroit (39.7 per 100,000)
-New Orleans (40.6 per 100,000)
-Baltimore (51.1 per 100,000)
and in #1 spot
-St. Louis (64.9 per 100,000)

Just some food for thought. Going to south South Africa is more similar to visiting Brazil than it is to Somalia, Sudan and the Congo.
dawgmeat likes this.

Last edited by CristianTabush; 08-09-2018 at 07:31 AM.
CristianTabush is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 AM
  #53  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,104
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Beating competitors at the pre-worlds into submission to the point of them no longer attending the worlds is not a hollow victory. Congrats to the undisputed champ
dawgmeat and Qatmix like this.
rccartips is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 AM
  #54  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (199)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 28,860
Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
It really is a shame that more teams are not attending and blaming it on the country. Could make for an incredible weekend. The facility is one of the best to ever host. If funds would allow I would definitely be there.

The travel advisory "excuses" are realy a crock of s**t. Disease? Really? This, if it was even an issue would happen in Marginal areas of the country. Googling outbreak in South Africa brings up a Listeria outbreak, and that was due to tainted Bologna sandwich meat.

SA may be Dangerous if you step outside into the slums and wonder around, but being in good neighborhoods, much like anywhere else in the world, the chances of something "happening" to you are slim to none. A good indicator of violent crime for a city/country is Murder rate. For example, Cancun Mexico is one of the most dangerous places in the World right now, far more violent and people still go. The murder rate here is 3-4 times higher than Welkom at 112 per 100,000. Whereas Welkom is somewhere areound 30-34 per 100,000.

For some shock value, and illustration purposes, this is similar to:
-Kansas City (31.2 per 100,000)
-Las Vegas (31.4 per 100,000)
-Cleveland (33.7 per 100,000)

and lower than:

-Detroit (39.7 per 100,000)
-New Orleans (40.6 per 100,000)
-Baltimore (51.1 per 100,000)
and in #1 spot
-St. Louis (64.9 per 100,000)

Just some food for thought. Going to south South Africa is more similar to visiting Brazil than it is to Somalia, Sudan and the Congo.
agreed I have gone for work in Burundi and Rwanda itís nothing like in South Africa
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:45 PM
  #55  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,568
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
If manufacturers had planned to skip the race, they should have said something in advance. I am surprised they were not as vocal as they were last time. And I am not talking about 2009. Most don't realize that the 2010 ISTC Worlds were scheduled for South Africa but because of what happened in 2009 the teams all said they would not go. Because of this the event organizers had no choice but to abandon the event and it was moved to Burgdorf, Germany and was highly successful.

The bloc rotation needs to be used as a guideline but local class popularity AND the ability to run a great event must be considered. South Africa was likely not the best choice if IFMAR wants to have a full event. That said, I think the US should never have an ISTC Worlds either because of lack of local support for the IFMAR classes.

Is Associated sending anybody to the worlds
dawgmeat is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM
  #56  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,338
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Although rc car racing is officially recognised as a sport now in the UK, which like you say should mean there is funding available, unfortunately this hasn't been the case. And how were those facilities paid for then?
Clubs taking out loans, years of member fees, sponsorships, and members putting in personal funds, time and effort. As you would expect.
gigaplex likes this.
TryHard is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM
  #57  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,515
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Just some food for thought. Going to south South Africa is more similar to visiting Brazil than it is to Somalia, Sudan and the Congo.
Your analogy is spot on. But I wouldnít trust the published crime figures. Welkom is quite a way (300km) from Joíburg which is a place you donít leave your hotel at night, ever, but itís still got its own share of problems.
cplus is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:56 PM
  #58  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (40)
 
Dan the Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Perth, W.A
Posts: 2,059
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
...... our best on-road facilty has hosted worlds in the past....
England Park?
Dan the Man is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 PM
  #59  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,515
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
England Park?
yep!
cplus is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 AM
  #60  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Airwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,008
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
It really is a shame that more teams are not attending and blaming it on the country. Could make for an incredible weekend. The facility is one of the best to ever host. If funds would allow I would definitely be there.

The travel advisory "excuses" are realy a crock of s**t. Disease? Really? This, if it was even an issue would happen in Marginal areas of the country. Googling outbreak in South Africa brings up a Listeria outbreak, and that was due to tainted Bologna sandwich meat.

SA may be Dangerous if you step outside into the slums and wonder around, but being in good neighborhoods, much like anywhere else in the world, the chances of something "happening" to you are slim to none. A good indicator of violent crime for a city/country is Murder rate. For example, Cancun Mexico is one of the most dangerous places in the World right now, far more violent and people still go. The murder rate here is 3-4 times higher than Welkom at 112 per 100,000. Whereas Welkom is somewhere areound 30-34 per 100,000.

For some shock value, and illustration purposes, this is similar to:
-Kansas City (31.2 per 100,000)
-Las Vegas (31.4 per 100,000)
-Cleveland (33.7 per 100,000)

and lower than:

-Detroit (39.7 per 100,000)
-New Orleans (40.6 per 100,000)
-Baltimore (51.1 per 100,000)
and in #1 spot
-St. Louis (64.9 per 100,000)

Just some food for thought. Going to south South Africa is more similar to visiting Brazil than it is to Somalia, Sudan and the Congo.
Like I will never ever leave Switzerland again lol (2.9 per 100'000)
Airwave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service