Like Tree47Likes

ISTC 2018

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Manufacturers owe it to fans who have bought their kits to show up and try to win.

Yes mugging is a safety issue and is real. They all got mugged by Bruno/Xray at the pre-worlds.

Last edited by rccartips; 08-07-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
I can't understand why it is being held in South Africa, one it was held there in 2002 and two it's not exactly a hot bed for touring car racing.
because the rules currently have even bloc rotation - which means one in every four is FAMAR (South America plus RSA) - despite the fact they probably have about 10% of the racers of, say, FEMCA (Asia plus Oceania)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus View Post

because the rules currently have even bloc rotation - which means one in every four is FAMAR (South America plus RSA) - despite the fact they probably have about 10% of the racers of, say, FEMCA (Asia plus Oceania)
Absolutely ridiculous, should be held where it's most popular, this would of course mean a lot would be held in Europe, be great to see Australia hold one as well. The UK has never even held a wolds only an ISTCC indoor event on carpet a long time ago. Touring cars is huge here and we have some of the best touring car drivers in the world.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Absolutely ridiculous, should be held where it's most popular, this would of course mean a lot would be held in Europe, be great to see Australia hold one as well. The UK has never even held a wolds only an ISTCC indoor event on carpet a long time ago. Touring cars is huge here and we have some of the best touring car drivers in the world.
well, you need to lobby the BRCA to lobby EFRA to influence IFMAR then.

It it has been proposed to remove the rotation rule, but itís not over the line.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:24 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cplus View Post

well, you need to lobby the BRCA to lobby EFRA to influence IFMAR then.

It it has been proposed to remove the rotation rule, but itís not over the line.
Lets hope it passes!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

If manufacturers had planned to skip the race, they should have said something in advance. I am surprised they were not as vocal as they were last time. And I am not talking about 2009. Most don't realize that the 2010 ISTC Worlds were scheduled for South Africa but because of what happened in 2009 the teams all said they would not go. Because of this the event organizers had no choice but to abandon the event and it was moved to Burgdorf, Germany and was highly successful.

The bloc rotation needs to be used as a guideline but local class popularity AND the ability to run a great event must be considered. South Africa was likely not the best choice if IFMAR wants to have a full event. That said, I think the US should never have an ISTC Worlds either because of lack of local support for the IFMAR classes.
Marcos.J, dawgmeat and gigaplex like this.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can't understand why it is being held in South Africa, one it was held there in 2002 and two it's not exactly a hot bed for touring car racing.
Because it was the FAMAR Blocs turn in the rotation, and there was a strong bid by Welkom to host. To be frank, so what if it is not a hot bed today, i guarantee the faciltiy far outstrips anything in the UK...

And as for the attendees, look who was there at the Worlds warmup... everyone went, so why the excuses now?
http://www.redrc.net/2018/05/coelho-...orlds-warm-up/

Last edited by TryHard; 08-08-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
If manufacturers had planned to skip the race, they should have said something in advance.
100% agree with that. But I also think IFMAR should have allowed a more in depth consultation process. I mean hell, they did more for 2S 1/12th.....!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
And as for the attendees, look who was there at the Worlds warmup... everyone went, so why the excuses now?
Red RC ? RC Car News Ľ Coelho & Hagberg successful at IFMAR Worlds warm-up
It was just 10 people though, not really everyone. At least they went to the warm up and then made a decision.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

From what i see on pics and heard response the facility is awesome.
I looked up what the cost would be to go there with my son. but the high cost put me of, and also the advice from other racer's that been there in the past.
looking at the entry's i glad and sad at the same time.
Would be a ideal moment to "shine" at the worlds that are no real worlds in my eyes due to very low interest.
mod TC 33 people from outside SA and 39 "locals".
mod 1/12 13 from outside SA and 17 "locals".
Event Entries - Welkom RC Arena
that's just ridicules low. And on that list there are at least 3 people i know for sure that don't go.
Every team our brand will gave his reason to pass on the event if they do.
One reason that nobody will admit is that this very nice facility has a strong connection to Xray, Hudy.
Look at the tyre choice. For sure some teams will think they start with a disadvantage compered to the Xray team.
my 2 cents
Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antlockyer View Post
It was just 10 people though, not really everyone. At least they went to the warm up and then made a decision.
Maybe not everyone went, but those that matter on the world wide front did go then, but have come up with, to be frank, bullshit excuses to not go now.
And you know other teams have since been to the venue on a few occasions to test as well, right? So why not do the event also?

Like many things in life, get back what you put in...
kentech and dawgmeat like this.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Even if Infinity and Yokomo don't show, I'm still excited for this race because all the chaos increases the chances of a big upset by some of the other manufactures. I mean if anyone else besides Xray wins, it's still a fantastic achievement (nothing against Xray winning, it just won't be as fantastic for them unfortunately).
Old 08-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone have a list of manufacturers who are supporting the hobby and sending a team to the Worlds?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Does anyone have a list of manufacturers who are supporting the hobby and sending a team to the Worlds?
there will be a stats sheet put out by IFMAR post the event.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
I mean if anyone else besides Xray wins, it's still a fantastic achievement (nothing against Xray winning, it just won't be as fantastic for them unfortunately).
I kinda feel bad for Xray if they end up winning that title in South Africa. I know they are already world champs in other classes, but I suspect the EP TC title is the one they want most (that's where they started as a company after all). It would suck if any mention of their first TC WC was forever followed by the precision "...but none of the other big teams showed up that year". Like with poor Martin Achter's title...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service