Like Tree47Likes

ISTC 2018

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 05:08 PM
  #16  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Racermac73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Palmyra, Virginia
Posts: 1,762
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Maybe Infinity should pay our way to go.. I'd take my chances to race there
Racermac73 is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM
  #17  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,340
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
I think it has to do with the Plague, not Ebola. There were a number of cases in Madagascar and now it's shown up in South Africa.
Posted this in the IF14 thread... always do your reasearch...

Funny how a bit of research shows no current warnings in place for SA for Bubonic Plague (treatable with antibiotics btw) or Ebola... WHO | South Africa (click news and features)
TryHard is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 06:26 PM
  #18  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,524
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
Maybe Infinity should pay our way to go.. I'd take my chances to race there
somehow I donít think Infinity are paying ANYONE to go....
cplus is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 PM
  #19  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Speed Chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mars sipping a pina colada
Posts: 1,407
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

"No rc due to Ebola" lol the ultimate RC excuse
Speed Chaser is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:38 PM
  #20  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Bruno was gonna merk their whole team anyway
dawgmeat is online now  
Old 08-06-2018, 05:33 AM
  #21  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (8)
 
Jonnydb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 182
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

watching this video, i start to think

www.facebook.com/monacorc/videos/230034200883710

results: https://ifmar.liverc.com/results/
Jonnydb is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 09:03 AM
  #22  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,181
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Looks like XRAY will no longer be a "Vice Champion"
rccartips is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 AM
  #23  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,899
Default

This will end up like the off-road words in SA where hardly anyone turned up and a German driver won with the Durango car.

(Wikipedia tells me it was 2009 and Martin Achter and he also won the 2wd title!)

I appreciate that IFMAR wants to give all the associations a chance, but it turns the World Championship into a glorified club race.
sosidge is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:36 AM
  #24  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,848
Default

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
This will end up like the off-road words in SA where hardly anyone turned up and a German driver won with the Durango car.

(Wikipedia tells me it was 2009 and Martin Achter and he also won the 2wd title!)

I appreciate that IFMAR wants to give all the associations a chance, but it turns the World Championship into a glorified club race.
That's not IFMAR's fault though.
If drivers and teams won't go that's down to their cowardice.
I had also heard that Yokomo aren't going.
I know that the Sanwa engineer who's normally at the worlds helping service radios etc is definitely not going.
I've also been told by a fellow driver who IS going that there are a lot of drivers on the entry list who he knows aren't actually going.

I would have gone (also attended Florida and Beijing) but I just don't have the money.
Cape Town's as far from London as San Francisco, so flights are expensive alone.
Skiddins is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:17 AM
  #25  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,524
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
That's not IFMAR's fault though.
Dunno. Not sure if I agree.

My view is that IFMAR have a responsibility to ensure the event is within a world class facility, the event is run to the highest standard AND is in a safe, popular, and desired location with respect to the views and expedtations of all cultures across the world. Donít forget for many, they fund their own way so this really is their leisure time. Their holiday for the year (or more!)

Antonio and his team have done a great job with what they have, and the facility definitely meets the criteria. Iím impressed with what they have achieved and Iím sure the event logistics will also be well handled.

However the location is not ideal and IFMAR really should be taking more responsibility with that assessment and decision. People are voting with their wallets (teams, manufacturers and people) which is their choice. The fact some are using barely plausible excuse to hide their true reasons seems to be occurring though.

Having said all that, the crix of the matter is the proposal was not made available early enough and not considered for long enough by all the blocs and their constituents IMHO. I might cop it over this, but I consider it was voted on without due consideration of all the potential issues and a poor decision was made.

Thailand, China, Australia and Japan were all prepared (to varying degrees) and willing to host (as would have been the fall back if no submission was put forward by FAMAR)
MikeR likes this.
cplus is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:40 AM
  #26  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (40)
 
Dan the Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Perth, W.A
Posts: 2,064
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Everyone is still being scaredypants after Masami and Dallas got mugged there in 2002. The Americans punked out of the 1/8th nitro buggy world's when it was in Thailand if I recall correctly too because of some perceived safety issues. Hosted in "The Land of Smiles" no less.

I imagine if you contacted the organiser and asked for information and help with getting to Welkom safely, and advice on where to go and eat, socialise, sightsee etc you'd be ok.
Dan the Man is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:15 AM
  #27  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,899
Default

No doubt the facility is great and the organisers would go out of their way to reassure people of the safety of the area and event.

But speaking as an "outsider", the last headline I saw about South Africa was that the ANC is planning to legislate for "land-grabs" from white landowners, like Zimbabwe did under Mugabe.

As a white Briton, that just isn't the kind of political environment I would feel welcome in. I'm not at the standard where I would get invited to the Worlds, but you can hardly blame people from more developed nations from fearing for their safety.

I think the perceptions of the outside world are an issue for the South African government rather than IFMAR. RC racing is a niche interest, most racers will be paying for the trip out of their own pocket, it's no wonder that championships in areas that are not perceived to be safe are being passively boycotted.

When the ETS has a better calibre of racers than the Worlds, it's clear that something needs to change if the IFMAR title is to keep its value.
sosidge is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 AM
  #28  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
daveaustin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 480
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
No doubt the facility is great and the organisers would go out of their way to reassure people of the safety of the area and event.

But speaking as an "outsider", the last headline I saw about South Africa was that the ANC is planning to legislate for "land-grabs" from white landowners, like Zimbabwe did under Mugabe.

As a white Briton, that just isn't the kind of political environment I would feel welcome in. I'm not at the standard where I would get invited to the Worlds, but you can hardly blame people from more developed nations from fearing for their safety.

I think the perceptions of the outside world are an issue for the South African government rather than IFMAR. RC racing is a niche interest, most racers will be paying for the trip out of their own pocket, it's no wonder that championships in areas that are not perceived to be safe are being passively boycotted.

When the ETS has a better calibre of racers than the Worlds, it's clear that something needs to change if the IFMAR title is to keep its value.
Has much really changed in the last 3 months since most teams went for the warm up race?
gigaplex likes this.
daveaustin5 is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:58 AM
  #29  
Tech Regular
 
antlockyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Coast of England
Posts: 323
Default

Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
Has much really changed in the last 3 months since most teams went for the warm up race?
Only 10 people wasn't it?
antlockyer is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 AM
  #30  
Bar
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 560
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I can't understand why it is being held in South Africa, one it was held there in 2002 and two it's not exactly a hot bed for touring car racing.
Bar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service