Reasons why EuroTruck is dieing

Like Tree91Likes

Reasons why EuroTruck is dieing

Old 07-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Reason it is going dead?

Pros entering the class and doing every little trick in the book. New guys get turned off.

Rinse and repeat with new "budget" class. Tamiya Dancing Rider anyone??
Sorry guys, but the rc class market seems to be saturated already...In addition, how many rc racers actually own and drive a real euro truck ???
Old 07-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Sorry guys, but the rc class market seems to be saturated already...In addition, how many rc racers actually own and drive a real euro truck ???
By that logic, how many RC racers actually own and drive an F1 car?
lorider75 and gigaplex like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are several ways to get the "experienced racers" out of the class and ensure the class will survive, or at least give the novices a chance to do well (there are many more, but these should give some ideas):
1) limit classes: don't allow racers to run eurotruck and any other sedan class (vta, usgt, etc) on race day (or select any combination of classes)
2) impose a max fast lap time (if you beat the time, you lose the lap)
3) change the rules so that beginners can run a larger pinion (or everyone else must run a smaller pinion)
all good suggestions.

----
I don't know, personally I am not seeing a lot of novice or beginner drivers entering our hobby. I see about 5 or 6 newcomers come out w/ their cars throughout the entire year. Of those maybe 1 or 2 stay with it and join the rest of us RC obsessed nuts. I think if you've got the RC bug you'll keep w/ it. The weekend basher usually doesn't hang w/ the sport too long ...I've seen many come and go and I don't think it has anything to do with any particular class, there are plenty offered to suit everyone's tastes. Mostly I think its the time you have to dedicate (spending all day at the track turns a lot of people off), the money it costs to be competitive, and the realization that its a lot harder than it looks (many want to be good from the get go and not dedicate time to the hobby). I've seen many people leave to never come back ...probably for one of all of the reasons I just listed.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
all good suggestions.

----
I don't know, personally I am not seeing a lot of novice or beginner drivers entering our hobby. I see about 5 or 6 newcomers come out w/ their cars throughout the entire year. Of those maybe 1 or 2 stay with it and join the rest of us RC obsessed nuts. I think if you've got the RC bug you'll keep w/ it. The weekend basher usually doesn't hang w/ the sport too long ...I've seen many come and go and I don't think it has anything to do with any particular class, there are plenty offered to suit everyone's tastes. Mostly I think its the time you have to dedicate (spending all day at the track turns a lot of people off), the money it costs to be competitive, and the realization that its a lot harder than it looks (many want to be good from the get go and not dedicate time to the hobby). I've seen many people leave to never come back ...probably for one of all of the reasons I just listed.
If a person quits racing because the other people beat them, I really don't want them racing anyway. I think we have this tendency to treat new racers with kid gloves and I am not so sure that is the right way to go.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

I would gladly welcome any new racers and help them with learning the nuances of the car and the driving techniques needed to get around the track competitively if it helped them stay in the hobby and move up to where they want to be. If you help those around you it will in turn make the racing cleaner and more enjoyable, as well as force you to get better. I always look forward to that challenge. I thought about building an extra Euro truck to have at the track so that anyone who wanted to racing for a day or at a practice day could try it out. Pay the entry fee and have fun learning with it. I do the same thing with my legends car in carpet oval racing.
corallyman, eR1c and JC3 like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
First I want to say u love this class and I hate this class. What I love close racing the fun of figuring out how to drive fast without the truck bouncing up and down.
What I hate is the motors that we have to race if you don't have a motor that is massaged persuaded to give all the RPM it can produce you are dead in the water.
Complaints without solutions is useless so my recomendation is going to brushless motors. Either a fixed timing motor or one brand of motor Similar to what Tamiya did for the mini class. Yes I know their are racer pushing the envelope on the motors in that class too but at least the motors will be competitive longer then a couple of race weekends.
What do you think am I all wet or what the truck comes with a brushed or business ESC I say go brushless.

As one of the guys envoled in organizing the Cen Cal Challenge in Fresno CA. In October we are kicking around the idea of going to either using a fixed timing motor or the Reedy 21.5 that is raced in the mini class. I looking for the same lap times the trucks ran with brushed motor so we may have to experiment with gear ratio to do it but I think it's something that needs to be done to save this class. Last year we would have 8 to 10 trucks on a race day now we have none I know judging by the smiles of the guys racing trucks they were having fun till the moment the motors got out of hand.!!!
Brian, at Norcal we have been using handout motors. It keeps the racing close.Turnout however has been hit and miss though. We went from having a C main to single main.

Last edited by team green; 07-18-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

So nobody is there chastising and poking fun at the "serious" racers running this class? You guys need to give them a hint if it truly is a beginner class. Our group would laugh you off the parking lot.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

The eternal discussion has been reincarnated!

Beginner's class attacked by experienced racers... It is just like in the Matrix, should be the fourth or the fifth iteration...

Creating a category full of limitations is not how you create a beginners class... You cannot user the car out of the box, having a 100$ radio and a 20$ servo will never be the same as racing with high-end Sanwa material... And I'm not debating about the batteries...

A good beginner class must be transparent. It means that it should be "sponsored" by experimented drivers willing to share their knowledge, the setups, the tips and tricks, the tracks, etc. Then you can chose a plateforme with reasonable configurations...

The rest is about teaching people to be reasonable and you're good to go.

You cannot park beginners in a category hoping for them to never progress... It is way too limitating, and boring.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe its dying because your complaining about experienced racers running it ( 75% are experienced now days since new guys are far and few between)... At any rate well have spec semi, novice semi, mod semi, foam semi, brushless semi, 13.5 semi, brushed semi, kids semi, 25.5 semi, and 17.5 semi by September. Everyone will still get a trophy
Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

In Michigan were not having a problem with it getting smaller it's actually growing due to the fact we added a second class just by changing bodies and most guys buying a second semi to run it I still have only one and it takes less than 5 minutes to change it over.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A lot of good suggestions and comments. One I am hearing that really stands out is "experienced drivers" taking over this class.
I personally saw it at TCS, and have heard stories from local tracks close by.

My suggestion, split the class similar to what we do with TC cars. There would be a Euro Beginner, and Euro advanced.
This would make the experienced drivers sign up in the advance class, and the beginners in the beginners class. Then
set up a time per lap that would bump a beginner to advanced when that person reaches that specified time.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Not enough trucks to split the class.
eR1c, Billy Kelly and gigaplex like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
By that logic, how many RC racers actually own and drive an F1 car?
Park a real Euro truck on the street and see how many people come around it versus a F1 car: somethings people love more than others...
Come on guys, the laws of attraction will never change: Just blame the trucks, not the racers !!!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Not enough trucks to split the class.
If there is not enough to split, just run a beginners class.
The experienced drivers that sign up for this class normally has a second car to run anyway.
I would focus on the newbies which this class was built for in the first place.

Again, just my 2 cents
Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

What I am seeing locally is the experienced guys who do run it are not in it to win, re run reverse grids from qualifying, in a race, if an experienced guy gets a margin he usually pulls up, and encouraging the less experienced guys to look at and follow his lines, making them better drivers too. A key thing that helped is it's a no trophy class, there's no prize for winning, and noone really cares about it, heck, I drive with an ESS-ONE sound unit and flashing lights in my truck, damn thing hits the rev limiter 1/10 the way into the straight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.