Search

Tuning a Motor and 19Turn Spec Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Exclamation Tuning a Motor and 19Turn Spec Suggestions

Hey Guys,

I am running a Graphite XXX-S at my track. We run a 19 turn spec class with Chameleon like motors, but we are allowed to use different spring and brush combinations. Right now I can get my car to drive how I want, but I am getting out-torqued by a set of drivers that always race together who buy motors 5 at a time to get the sweetest ones.

First, what brand of 19Turn Spec motor seems to be the best? I have heard the older chameleons seemed to not be dawgs as often as the Chameleon 2s as far as the magnets go? Any particular company or tuner (like Promatch Racing) tune the motors good?

Next, I want to get a lot more torque than I have been, what changes should I make from the stock setting. The only difference is that I am running the Trinity Touring brushes that are copper to cut down on the amount of comm cuts I have to do.

Thanks,

Cain
Old 11-25-2002, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Promatch 19turn motors are nice. Try going to the 767 Brush all the way around with a Red+ Green- SPring Combo. Maybe gear it 2 teeth less then you are gearing your car right now...give you a little bit more torque. You may want to try going Red all around. Fast guys at my track wun the Storm2 Motor.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:28 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the advice. Thing is as far as the gearing goes I have tried everything on that end but they are rediculously punchy. I though it was the car but one of the guys built a motor for a friend of mine XXX-S and it was screaming a long too, and he is bone stock.

I wrote promatch about the motor, any ideas when they will get more in? Any other motors you suggest? the brush number you gave, who is the manufacturer? Any brushes and springs you recommend that are made by trinity?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

I got some on backorder right now with ProMatch... the 767 Brush is the AE Brush... Promatch has them.... Part number 4011. I just buy 10 pair at a time and buy their red and green springs since they are the same as the Trinity ones.

Make sure that you are aligning the brush hoods. Most of my C2 motors are way out of alignment..one I align them I can get pretty decent power from them. The 4499 Trinity Brush may give you a little more Torque...the 767 brush will give you a little torque and RPM. They are very abrasive on the comm though. I can get about 5-6 runs on the Brush before I need to cut the comm and replace the brushes.

Give that a try... some guys really know what they are doing when it comes to tuning motors.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Tech Legend

who makes a good price conscious brush hood alignment tool? Also, what spring would go on what end of the motor? (saying I have a chameleon) for more torque. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I got everything right.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2002, 01:57 PM
Tech Legend

whats the word on comm drops?
Old 11-25-2002, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

i have read that comm drops only helps you in a few runs by giving more rpm, but will do something bad to your motor. i forgot what that was. lol
Old 11-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Tech Legend

Any word on Fantom motors?
Old 11-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey Cain, its andy. I've talked to a few people and they say go Reedy, even though i not a big fan of Reedy i thank i might get one. But i am going to wait until somelse gets one so I can see how they are.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Tech Legend

Hey Andy,

Ask Stan if he has a motor dyno. I am thinking of buying some spring combinations to try out and see if I can get more torque out of my motor.

Those guys just have too much punch and you can't keep up. its like they squeeze the trigger and bam they are gone.

when promatch gets more in, I am going to get a storm 2 motor. I heard those are the best. We can try the reedys too. I am thinking of placing a big order soon from greatlakes, maybe we can go in on some stuff from them. the prices are right or even KT Hobbies
Old 11-26-2002, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Go with the ARCOR spec 19T Ti based motor.....easily tuned, adjustable timing, tagged arm, handwound....and last...and probably the best....the killer magnets in the Ti cans.

Check around, you can buy the 19t arms and just use an existing Ti can.

Tune what you like with brushes. Torque & longer brush life - Quasars with purple + spring, red -, combo RPM/mid torque/middle brush life - 4383 +, red + spring, red- spring, mondo RPM - 4383's on both sides, red/red springs.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Tech Legend

The hobby shop owner did some testing of the ARCOR motor and found that the power was only similar to the Chameleons when running a 17 turn, the 19 turn wasn't on par.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Ummm... I think the turbo 35 can measure the amps the motor pulles so i think that ill work. I am planning to get a new charger from integy. Probley the 16X9 so i can run the dyno whenever i get one. So if you know anyone that wants a charger i'll sell mine for 80 bucks. If not i am trading it in through integy for a new one. What kind of stuff are you going to get from great lakes? I'll get some parts from them too! Do they sell the graphite convo kit? Alrite c yah later, oh why don't you stop by on wed. at Mh? I'll be there as long as the snows not 2 bad. Later
Old 11-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

There's a lot more to getting max performance out of a motor than just looking at how much current it pulls on the T35. In fact, most soft brushes will cause the motor to pull a lot of current, but not perform well on the track. I personally like the Reedy Spec 19 w/bearings. I run it with Trinity 4499 brushes and Reedy's 120 degree copper "on-road" springs. You don't need a hood alighnment tool to align the hoods. The reason you align the hoods is not to have them 180 degrees apart, it's to compensate for the "cocking" of the brushes when the motor is running. With most Reedy motors (MVP and Spec 19 for sure) you need to enlarge the spring post hole on the inside edge to get them aligned correctly. The way you do it is to install the set of brushes you intend to run and run the motor for 10 or 15 seconds. Remove the brush and look at it's face. You will see a shiny spot somewhere on the face of the brush and this is the point that the hood is centered. You need to move the hoods around so the shiny spot is in the middle of the brush face. Once that is done, you don't need to mess with the hoods unless you put a different type of brush in the motor. Usually, if you pull the spring post side (right side) of the hood away from the center of the motor and push the other side (left side) toward the center of the motor, you should be in the ballpark. Also keep in mind that you are aligning the hoods for the motor rotating in one direction. If you wire the motor so it rotates the opposite way from when you aligned the hoods, they won't be aligned.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:50 PM
Tech Legend

Hey Andy,

I am looking into getting the new losi body as I heard it has the best amount of steering for the vehicle. I am also looking into getting the new rear hubs and arms as they too help the car handle better on carpet. I was considering the new car but they hacked the chassis out so much it worries me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.