Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Where are pneumatic R/C tires? - The sins of John Dunlop. >

Where are pneumatic R/C tires? - The sins of John Dunlop.

Like Tree31Likes

Where are pneumatic R/C tires? - The sins of John Dunlop.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2
The Bib Mousse is a closed cell foam insert which accurately and successfully works in place of an air filled tube.
How does "accurately" come into play there? Yes, they wear out quickly. Yes their performance isn't as good as an air filled tube. Yes, they cause the tires to run hotter. Yes, they work. What are you trying to say there? Because you wanna be so right, you're aware there's competing products too? Ones that allow adjustment of perceived tire pressure? Seriously man. Calm down.

Your myopic exposure to the hobby is showing here and here. Closed cell foam are WIDELY used in the hobby. They are included in most tires from most manufacturers. The tires you bought are old stock.
Tamiya does no closed cell foam. The Shimizu tires I bought, use open cell foam. The J-Concepts tires i bought, use open cell foam. The Pro Line tires, I bought, use open cell foam. The VTA tires I have, all use open cell foam. The USGT tires I have, use open cell foam. My brand new tires from 3-Racing have open cell foam. These are all tires less than two years old. I.. am not big on off road, i'm aware that closed cell foam is more common for off road. Again, what's your point?

There's nothing myopic about my exposure to the hobby.

Go get angry at someone else, k? I'm sure someone posted a thread in the wrong forum somewhere, and you can go berate them.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by urnotevenwrg2; 07-19-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Last edited by urnotevenwrg2; 07-19-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Suspended

Last edited by urnotevenwrg2; 07-19-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:25 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Two issues I see right off the bat are first, the valve and secondly a way to accurately measure the air pressure at such low PSI's. Back when I did a lot of full scale Auto-X and track days a couple PSI made a big difference. I would have to imagine on a RC car the PSI that would be run would be tiny so the increments in adjusting PSI would be in the 100ths of a PSI?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-20-2018, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LJH
Two issues I see right off the bat are first, the valve and secondly a way to accurately measure the air pressure at such low PSI's. Back when I did a lot of full scale Auto-X and track days a couple PSI made a big difference. I would have to imagine on a RC car the PSI that would be run would be tiny so the increments in adjusting PSI would be in the 100ths of a PSI?
That kit that was posted earlier, seemed to do the adjustment using absolute volumes of air, via syringes. I'd never really considered that option. But it does seem to make sense. At low pressures like that, leakage should be manageable..... The valve was a basketball/football/volleyball style valve, with a needle as the filler.

Another reasonable option would be a gland from an IV.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

3D printed beadlock non-vented wheels, try to mount the tires at same temperature and humidity and boom done, pneumatic tires.
Nerobro and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LJH

Cheers,
Jim
Wouldn't necessarily be the PSI's that are smaller though, right? Full size trucks, cars, bicycles, etc, the PSI's tend to need to go UP as the tire size goes down. However the volume of air required to change the PSI would be tiny and hard to control.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Pressure is related to load capacity. Traction is greatly benefited by lower pressures. The less we can get away with, generally speaking, the better.

if we have 3/4" wide tires, with say.. a 1/2" long contact patch... we have 1.5 square inches of contact patch. With a 1350g car, we're looking at darned near 2psi of ground pressure. Our tire pressure would need to be ~around 2psi~

Mind, about half those numbers are pulled out of my butt, and we'd need to check on a wet glass plate or something. But that's the vague idea.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LJH
Two issues I see right off the bat are first, the valve...
I think there're tons of possibilities how valve can be made. For example, tiny primitive ball valve could be built into wheel spoke.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tygertyger
I'll just leave that here. The year is 2001

http://www.overrc.com/news/news2001/...32001/CRF4.jpg

Complete article (in French) on OverRC.com, le site de la voiture radio-commandée électrique. ... but not able to post link
So this thing was never sold to the public? Just a prototype right? Heck, I don't care if it adds an advantage or not, I would buy it just for the cool factor and yes I saw it's from 2001.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Junfac did this years ago too, for crawlers...

too much hassle, ill stick with inserts, or foam tires!!!
30Tooth, Nerobro and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have those lol actually on one of my Gmade R1. They were more of a novelty item than a serious crawler tire, in my opinion. The plastic rim that they came with was easy to strip when screwing down and that cause leaks.
Nerobro likes this.