Like Tree272Likes

XRAY T4'19 SPEC

Old 05-03-2019, 05:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by R Dodge

okay, that shouldn’t be happening. Check to make sure there is nothing binding or interfering with the belt in any way. I’m not sure what else to tell you. The kit belts have been good consistently over the years. But this is for sure unusual.
For now I ordered a full set of black belts for spare and another front belt to fix the issue. I know during my initial assembly the belt wanted to twist a little around it's midsection when it was idle.

And before driving I had to trim the servo mount grommets as the rubber was sticking out where the belt was and it was pushing the belt out a little. I made sure to watch for interference across the belt when revving it off the ground and I did notice the belt just didn't seem smooth at high rpms, like there was a lot of belt vibration at the midsection of the belt, but I assumed that was due to low belt tension.

OT: it is amazing how easy maintenance is on the car. The only other hobby grade 1/10 on road car I've had was an HPI Nitro RS4 2 (fully upgraded, still have it) and it took no time at all to pull the diff and belt assembly off the T4, compared to the RS4 I would have to remove half the front of the car to get to the diff and front belt. I thought about running it again, but since parts as gone and Xray being well and alive I may just permanently retire it and get an NT1 for my onroad nitro fix if maintenance is going to be simple on that as well.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Be sure your front spool has the side piece on and secure. This is assembled when building the kit.

Also, check to be sure that the top deck isn't cracked or that you have too much flex in the car. The only time I've had a front belt come off was the result of a hard hit that cracked the top deck allowing the car to flex front to rear too much.
mooby64 likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
Be sure your front spool has the side piece on and secure. This is assembled when building the kit.

Also, check to be sure that the top deck isn't cracked or that you have too much flex in the car. The only time I've had a front belt come off was the result of a hard hit that cracked the top deck allowing the car to flex front to rear too much.
-When you say side piece are you talking about the ring that attaches to the spool to give the belt two sidewalls to rest inside? The front spool has been properly assembled, the flat parts are facing the belt and the bulge of the ring is on the outside.
-The hubs are locked into the bulkhead supports otherwise I wouldn't be able to fit the spool down in place.
-The upper plate is fine, although one end seems flimsy since it's a split design, but that's normal.

There's still some servo mount material (the servo screw with rubber grommet) sticking out about .5mm-1mm from the aluminum brace. I already trimmed the rubber away since it was sticking out a lot more and was pressing against the belt initially, but are tolerances so tight around the belt that it would rub the aluminum servo mount even without a servo installed? I still am thinking the belt itself was one part of the issue since it didn't lay flat. There was always a part of it that wanted to twist. I know it's thin, but still.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InTheZoneAC
-When you say side piece are you talking about the ring that attaches to the spool to give the belt two sidewalls to rest inside? The front spool has been properly assembled, the flat parts are facing the belt and the bulge of the ring is on the outside.
-The hubs are locked into the bulkhead supports otherwise I wouldn't be able to fit the spool down in place.
-The upper plate is fine, although one end seems flimsy since it's a split design, but that's normal.

There's still some servo mount material (the servo screw with rubber grommet) sticking out about .5mm-1mm from the aluminum brace. I already trimmed the rubber away since it was sticking out a lot more and was pressing against the belt initially, but are tolerances so tight around the belt that it would rub the aluminum servo mount even without a servo installed? I still am thinking the belt itself was one part of the issue since it didn't lay flat. There was always a part of it that wanted to twist. I know it's thin, but still.
Nobody uses the rubber grommets on the servo for electric cars. Not sure about nitro, but I doubt it.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Xray introduced this at 2016 worlds. I don’t think anyone else had it at the time, but it definitely has become a common tuning option these days. There are also now many other variations of it but it seems Xray feels the carbon brace is best and I agree it is very good. It reduces overall flex with the main benefit seeming to be increased forward traction. It does reduce the feel of steering mid corner which can improve corner speed, but definitely improves forward drive
Robby,

thanks for this. I'm still confused with this center brace... and I'm not good enough a driver to make sure I "feel" the change in a consistent manner.

For 13.5 boosted, on a low-medium grip fast asphalt track, what would you recommend as the "base" configuration for this center brace and/or shimming the top-deck?

Thank you

Paul
Old 05-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Robby,

thanks for this. I'm still confused with this center brace... and I'm not good enough a driver to make sure I "feel" the change in a consistent manner.

For 13.5 boosted, on a low-medium grip fast asphalt track, what would you recommend as the "base" configuration for this center brace and/or shimming the top-deck?

Thank you

Paul
I would recommend going with 6mm shims under the carbon brace. That seems to be pretty common on the Euro asphalt setups. I never tried 6mm until last season when I copied Alex's pre-worlds setup and I liked it. I also ran the 2.0mm topdeck raised 1mm per Alex's setup.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

I would recommend going with 6mm shims under the carbon brace. That seems to be pretty common on the Euro asphalt setups. I never tried 6mm until last season when I copied Alex's pre-worlds setup and I liked it. I also ran the 2.0mm topdeck raised 1mm per Alex's setup.
Thank you... will try this saturday raceday then
Old 05-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Guys, what an I doing wrong?!? I used an older part which I had filed a bit... And even when it just doesn't fit... It rubs the belt
​​unambiguously...

Thanks!
paul

6mm shims
Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 AM
Suspended

Hey Paul,

I am actually converting my car to asphalt now so I just went to 6mm under my center brace last night. I did not notice anything like this when I did this but I'll have to look at it when I get home tonight.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

The front belt rubs on the carbon brace, servo mount, lower servo ear, upper side of the top-deck, and underside of the steering ball-joints. All my cars are like that. Don't worry about it.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Paul,

I am actually converting my car to asphalt now so I just went to 6mm under my center brace last night. I did not notice anything like this when I did this but I'll have to look at it when I get home tonight.
Thanks - curious to see if yours is any different... as the holes in the chassis are where they are, I can only think about the belt being installed more to the right side if yours clears it...

Originally Posted by daleburr
The front belt rubs on the carbon brace, servo mount, lower servo ear, upper side of the top-deck, and underside of the steering ball-joints. All my cars are like that. Don't worry about it.
Thanks. Mine rubs on the lower center servo washer, very true - I had filed this too not on the steering ball joints, prob as I'm running the diffs low. I guess I will buy a spare belt just in case

Cheers both!

Paul
Old 05-08-2019, 08:01 AM
Suspended

Ah, sorry I totally forgot to get that pic last night. I will do that today.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Who has tried the Rcmaker floating electronics side plate? I got one and haven’t tried it yet. I noticed it stiffened up center of chassis a bit when I mounted it. I wonder if I can get away with not using the center CF chassis stiffener. I will try Saturday. We’ll see
Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Thanks - curious to see if yours is any different... as the holes in the chassis are where they are, I can only think about the belt being installed more to the right side if yours clears it...

Thanks. Mine rubs on the lower center servo washer, very true - I had filed this too not on the steering ball joints, prob as I'm running the diffs low. I guess I will buy a spare belt just in case

Cheers both!

Paul
here is my belt at the center brace. Definitely looks like I have a little more clearance than you do but it’s still gonna rub. I don’t stress about it.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
Who has tried the Rcmaker floating electronics side plate? I got one and haven’t tried it yet. I noticed it stiffened up center of chassis a bit when I mounted it. I wonder if I can get away with not using the center CF chassis stiffener. I will try Saturday. We’ll see
I know someone who RAN it....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.