Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Spool vs. Diff

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The best thing to do to a ball diff to lock it up on demand is to use ceramic balls(including the thrust balls) and ofna diff lock lube(#10230) all over the rings/balls with blue loctite gooping the thrust bolt.... You'll have all the different levels of tightness from a diff to a spool by just tightening the thrust bolt down... It works, and it's the cheapest way around this problem....
Old 06-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Doing this on my F1 made it undriveable. Locked the diff down on black carpet and the rear end would chatter (hop) and just spin out. I'm sure there's more tuning needed as another racer has his diff with the pegs installed and runs the quickest lap times at the track. Just not sure why my car would chatter when we're both running the same tires. Gotta mess with it a little more as I know i'm missing something in setup doing locked diff / spool.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In F1 DD cars it might be a challenge to find the setup that works with a locked rear on black carpet, but I run the 3racing Fgx with independent rear suspension....
Old 06-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I feel like this thread has gone the way of the conversation between the local fast guy and that one guy at the track who asks for advice, receives advice he thinks won't work, and does something else.

The fact is, the top guys at birds ran spools. The entire A main at ROAR ran spools. At mhic... spools.

On black carpet they are fast in all 12th classes. Period.

Sure, if your setup is off, they can do weird stuff. But any 12th car with poor setup is a handful.

We ran a race last spring with black carpet laid out in a carpet ballroom. Carpet directly on carpet. It was bumpy and grip changed a lot during the weekend. Guess what, spools.

The basic handling changes: less turn in, more on center rotation, more on power steering, more efficiently putting power down. The main setup change to accommodate a spool is the same you would do to stop "picking" of the inside rear tire. Softer side springs and very light damper tubes.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes this thread has gone wrong.
I stated in the beginning that they have a place in a pan car. I will also agree that they are faster in that place.
Here is the kick though, a totally new RC racer doesn't know what that place is and what is more important to them is to establish consistency or actually just get around the track. That is what us more experienced racers need to show them. Not step them off the wall.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Foam tires, spools, black carpet FTW.

Crappy rubber tires, nah.

The rubber tire is why you think a spool sucks if your carpet is black.

If the carpet isnt black you shouldn’t be running a spool.
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.

Last edited by Antimullet; 07-04-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
Doing this on my F1 made it undriveable. Locked the diff down on black carpet and the rear end would chatter (hop) and just spin out. I'm sure there's more tuning needed as another racer has his diff with the pegs installed and runs the quickest lap times at the track. Just not sure why my car would chatter when we're both running the same tires. Gotta mess with it a little more as I know i'm missing something in setup doing locked diff / spool.
Take most of the droop out of the rear ( shorten the shock).
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Is OP talking about pan cars or touring cars, big difference...
Talking about PAN cars and talking about the rear diff.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by danthrc
Talking about PAN cars and talking about the rear diff.
Not only a pan car but beginners with a pan car. That point has been lost.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

"until they now when all of those conditions are right."

How does anyone know that without trying it? Fastest guy is using surely that means the conditions are right?

i tried it once, car felt great till it span every few laps :-D
Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Do the spools work in 17.5 1/12th spec well? I had heard from some people that they were better in the faster classes, and that the slower classes were benefiting from running ball diffs still .i could have easily heard the wrong information though of course.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowdoughracer
Do the spools work in 17.5 1/12th spec well? I had heard from some people that they were better in the faster classes, and that the slower classes were benefiting from running ball diffs still .i could have easily heard the wrong information though of course.
Actually that is backwards. At the last indoor Nationals all of us in the A main had spools in 17.5, that I know of.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowdoughracer
It's my understanding it's not based on power, but on grip. On a very grippy track (black carpet) you can load the car up in the corners and pick up the inside rear tire so that you can corner with a spool. If both rear tires remain planted then the car will push like a pig.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have run a spool and diff in my 1/12. I feel the spool is faster and easier to drive when the bite is high. It is very hard to drive with the spool in lower traction. I did find you have to run the car overall softer with a spool. You can not just swap out the diff for a spool. I have a separate center shock built to run with the spool as well as softer front and side springs. So for me, I run ball diff in lower bite and spool in higher bite. I have the X-ray gear diff on order so as soon as it’s available, I am going to try that as well. I think it will be a really good compromise.

Last edited by protc3; 07-11-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

That makes sense. Are you finding battery placement changes when switching from the diff to spool as well? What is the difference/benefit to the Xray gear diff compared to a spool?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.