R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Which mod Motor? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/102062-mod-motor.html)

noobie 02-15-2006 09:00 PM

Which mod Motor?

Hi, what are the differences between each of these mod motors? i assume some are for on-road and some for offroad, which is most suitable for asphalt TC?

Pro Cobalt
Pro Kr
Pro Pt
Pro Shock
Pro Ti
Pro Ti Worlds
Pro V2

Drewdc90 02-15-2006 09:19 PM

The Cobalt 2, the Shock and the V2 are the main motors used fo on road. The Cobalt 2 and the Shock are probably the quickest but are harder to tune and need cuts more often (3 to 5). The V2 are not too bad for speed and and don't need cuts as often (5 to 7). The V2 are better for club but in high comp races the Shock and Cobalt 2 would be better.

Speedo 02-15-2006 10:17 PM

Any mod motor should really be cut after no more than 4 runs. More than that and you're losing performance. Drop below 10 turns and you're looking at cutting the comm every run or every second run.

I like the Ti, simply because it's the most bulletproof motor I've used so far, and 9 times out of 10, is fast. Other motors are more finicky. For asphalt you might want to try the Ti Worlds edition as it won't be quite as torquey as the Ti.

If you're just starting to run mod, I would stick with the Ti, Ti Worlds, and V2. The V2 is pretty reliable too, although I find that the Ti performs better. On asphalt the V2 likely works better than it does on carpet however.

Josh

Josh Numan 02-15-2006 10:55 PM

Ok here is my .02 cents....

I run a CheckPoint 7x1 pretty much everywhere, And it gets cut about every 6-10 runs, Leave the same brushes for about 2-3 cuts as well. I feel you will be happiest with a CheckPoint motor becuase of the easy maintnence and that it has more power then a TI Or worlds TI.
Orion would be my secend choice they are very good fast motors as well.
Anything else all im ganna say is good luck with them. You may see that there doing good at all the big races but the fact is, your not going to get the same quality from the other companies as the Factory guys do. I can assure you that you will get the same as the Factory guys with a checkpoint motor......and even an Orion/Peak Motor.
Hope that helps.....

Randy Caster 02-15-2006 11:24 PM

Fully agree with Josh. When I switched to Checkpoint, it honestly felt like I dropped a turn on the motor, kinda cought me off guard on how well they worked. I've been running them for about a year now with no regrets.

Simon A 02-15-2006 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Drewdc90
The Cobalt 2, the Shock and the V2 are the main motors used fo on road. The Cobalt 2 and the Shock are probably the quickest but are harder to tune and need cuts more often (3 to 5). The V2 are not too bad for speed and and don't need cuts as often (5 to 7). The V2 are better for club but in high comp races the Shock and Cobalt 2 would be better.

If they arnt as good in high comp races howcome the 2 best drivers in the
world use the V2. They would have run every motor and found out what they
thought was best and it was the V2.
The checkpoint and the V2 are both very good motors. But then again any motor is very good there isnt much difference betwen them all.
The V2 has alot more torque than any other motor which is great powering
out of corners.But it still has enough rpm on the high speed straights.
I Have tested all kinds of motors and i have found the v2 and the checkpoint motor to be the best.The thing i HATE :mad: about the V2 is getting on and off the brushes and endbell its such a hassle :flaming:

Erikderaaf 02-15-2006 11:58 PM

thing is, the top driver are sposored, marc and atsushi by orion, that's probably why they run v2 and orion batteries.. are they the best? maybe my opinion is that you have to time V2's al bunch to be fast... certainly more than 24 degrees!

Jilles on the other hand is now sponored by trinity.... guess what motor he runs....

Simon A 02-16-2006 12:09 AM

Just lately i was talking (not directly he doesnt speak english) Daisuki Yoshioka from japan who is world number three and he said he tested all kinds
of manafacturers before he decided on LRP.
Which means Hara and marc and all of those guys run the gear that they think is the best.

Rowdy 02-16-2006 12:25 AM

Has anyone tried a xenon motor? They seem to have gained in popularity with the pros (mainly asian) in the last 2 years or so. Was thinking I may get one just to try it out.

Speedo 02-16-2006 12:44 AM

I haven't tried the Checkpoint motor yet, but by all accounts it is very good. I have a hard time believing 6-10 runs between cuts on a 7 turn, a very hard time indeed. However, like I said, I have no experience with it.

I've never felt the V2 was a very torquey motor.

polesitter61 02-16-2006 04:47 AM

I give the Checkpoint the nod on this one, it is by far the fastest Mod I have ever seen or used. I went at least 10 runs before I cut, it never felt like it fell off at all, and with as much power/punch as it has a little fall only makes is a little easier to drive. :lol: And the Checkpoint is much easier to solder on the brush shunts and motor swire because of the larger tabs than the V2 :nod:

Bobby J 02-16-2006 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Simon A
If they arnt as good in high comp races howcome the 2 best drivers in the
world use the V2. They would have run every motor and found out what they
thought was best and it was the V2.
The checkpoint and the V2 are both very good motors. But then again any motor is very good there isnt much difference betwen them all.
The V2 has alot more torque than any other motor which is great powering
out of corners.But it still has enough rpm on the high speed straights.
I Have tested all kinds of motors and i have found the v2 and the checkpoint motor to be the best.The thing i HATE :mad: about the V2 is getting on and off the brushes and endbell its such a hassle :flaming:

the v2 stuff that marc & hara run will NEVER fall into the hands of the average racer...sorry the TEAM STUFF is exactly what it is...