Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odpurple
OK guys, sorry for all the mystery, but TOP Racing USA is the sole distributor for T.O.P. Racing Products in North America. Your local hobby shop can order from us or if they are not willing we will sell directly to you. Contact us at [email protected]

Is it suppose to have the www at the beginning?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikky32
What is the difrence between the 2006 version and the 2008 version except the alu bulkheads and the v2 drive shafts?
I want to buy a seccond one.
For UK customers the 2008 Scythe is basically a 2007 Scythe (in red) but with a bag of bits in it to give you the option to build it up with alloy bulkheads instead.

I'm not sure about the V2 driveshafts unless it is a running change - I'll try and find out. There have been a few running changes on the car as TOP bring the manufacture of more parts in house - for example my 2007 car has different turnbuckles and antenna mount compared to the 2006 car - the only significant difference from the earliest cars is that the standard chassis is now 2.5mm not 2mm.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Is it still the same poor quality graphite that delaminates so easily as in the past?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cannon
Is it still the same poor quality graphite that delaminates so easily as in the past?
Can't say I'm aware of that at all. My carbon parts are exactly as they should be after 6 months of racing, and I never "seal the edges".
Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

For those curious, Cannon does not race a Scythe, so thanks for the valuable input

Moving on,

I have not yet encountered any trouble with the carbon de-laminating, and i'm certainly no Masami so my chassis has been tested a few times.

In regards to the V2 driveshafts, to the best of my knowledge they are an upgrade. As has been mentioned the 2008 kit is titled the "2008 Alloy Option Kit", as TOP have included a package of all the alloy pieces, with the exception being the diff outdrives.

Cheers,

Robbie
Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
Can't say I'm aware of that at all. My carbon parts are exactly as they should be after 6 months of racing, and I never "seal the edges".

The delaminating can go back as far as 2 inches off the front of the chassis but I believe they have protected it with a better front bumper assembly. There has also been chassis with the graphite weave at an angle across the chassis

And Robbie .... maybe you just dont drive fast enough to do any damage

Dont bite so easy Robbie
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Dont bite so easy Robbie
Old 06-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

The delaminating can go back as far as 2 inches off the front of the chassis but I believe they have protected it with a better front bumper assembly. There has also been chassis with the graphite weave at an angle across the chassis

And Robbie .... maybe you just dont drive fast enough to do any damage

Dont bite so easy Robbie
Well, considering the bumper has been the same from day one on the car (Yokomo SD bumper) I'm finding it hard to give your delaminating story much credence.

It sounds more like you have seen one car that has been run with an incorrect bumper and ride height and has been scraping the chassis leading edge on the ground. This would destroy any chassis on the market.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Would you like me to name the six or more drivers that this has happened to that I have seen? It is not an isolated incident.

The car uses a poor quality graphite compared to other brands. It has been a regular problem.

Ask xray racer if he has seen this.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Would you like me to name the six or more drivers that this has happened to that I have seen? It is not an isolated incident.

The car uses a poor quality graphite compared to other brands. It has been a regular problem.

cannon, I've never heard of this problem? If this was the case, it must have been some time ago. The current graphite used is sourced from the same place most other manufacturers use. It's a company based here in the USA.

Anyway in case you have not heard, our car just TQ'd both classes at the Reedy Race and won Open Modified. So it obviously pretty good.

If you have any further concerns we can take it off line and you can email me at [email protected]. You can PM me here as well.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Default Reedy Race Setup

Hey Guys,

Here is the Reedy Race Setup we all used.

It's a little difficult to get everything down on paper, so just let me know if you have any questions.

EJ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EJ Reedy 08.pdf (116.1 KB, 287 views)
Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
Anyway in case you have not heard, our car just TQ'd both classes at the Reedy Race and won Open Modified. So it obviously pretty good.
Not to sound like a dick or anything, but what does your statement have to do with what he said. In the hands of the right driver someone could tq with a pile. Your not selling cars because it can tq two classes at a big race. You sell cars because people feel they are quality cars & parts that last.

With practice can help someone get better because they use a great car. Sorry for my bold statement but I had to voice my opinion. Is the t.o.p car a quality car, from what I have heard from friends it is a great car. If I had the money for it would I think about running it? yes I would.

Your not selling your cars to racers who run big races all the time, or factory guys. You are selling them to club racing joe's like myself. To me honestly the two tq's don't mean squat to me. If I can drop money on a car and get my money's worth out of it & have parts ready I need I am happy.

I haven't heard of the carbon problem on any of the newer cars. Must of been something in the past. Please send me a pm for any further discussion. Have a great day.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 06-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

As i have mentioned, i have yet to encounter any de-lamination of the chassis, so i dont know why you would refer someone to me
Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for you post, it was very insightful. I agree with some but not all of your points.

Obviously anyone can tq with a pile, that’s what we did! LOL

With all kidding aside, Cannon in his post is questioning the quality of the materials used on our car, which he has every right to do. I as one of the distributors or not have a right to defend it.

I did this by letting him know where our graphite is purchase from and letting him know our most recent results. This brings us to our difference of opinions.

I’m operating under the impression that if a car has good race results, then it must be pretty good or of some decent quality. We can argue this on or off line, but to be honest I don’t think we will get anywhere.

The rest of your post I totally agree with.

EJ
Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hello Aaron,
Obviously anyone can tq with a pile, that’s what we did! LOL
I don't in anyway think your car is a pile. I have heard a lot, it is a great car.

With all kidding aside, Cannon in his post is questioning the quality of the materials used on our car, which he has every right to do. I as one of the distributors or not have a right to defend it.

I did this by letting him know where our graphite is purchase from and letting him know our most recent results. This brings us to our difference of opinions.
I do see what your statement has to do with it now. Maybe I took it from only one side and re-reading it made more sense to me.

I’m operating under the impression that if a car has good race results, then it must be pretty good or of some decent quality. We can argue this on or off line, but to be honest I don’t think we will get anywhere.
Your impression is correct, I just don't like to see companies base their ads off of that. Would you believe a friend or a company first. Personally if my friend tries something & then I do I am more likely gonna buy.

The rest of your post I totally agree with.

Peace Aaron(W-W)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.