Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #76
Tech Regular

biws was all as per kit

jimmy
jimmy..maddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #77
Tech Apprentice

chears ali, i will have a look! your help is greatly appreciated!!!
luke humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #78
Tech Apprentice

also, was there any other major changes that you made for carpet? mine handled well, cornering was great but had no speed!!??
luke humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #79
Tech Regular

thats down to the motor not your car set up if it cornerd well and suited you thats all that matters, your set up mite be tottaly different from mine !
Old 11-13-2006, 02:47 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Luke, sounds like you have the shocks overfilled, the TOP diapghragms are quite soft and you need to make sure they are seated well before screwing the caps on.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:01 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hows the car going guy's?

Any set up tips been discovered.
zacabrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:34 AM   #82
Tech Elite

I've been messing about with the Scythe for the last couple of weeks with the assistance of Much-More UK (the UK distributors), rubber on carpet, so I may as well share my discoveries. These are far from definitive, but they may be helpful to some people.

Build Tips

Tweak - Take care when tightening the bulkheads and top deck to the chassis. Rush it or crank them down too hard and you could build a tweak into the car, and at worst permanently damage the components. Slacken and retighten the lower bulkhead screws in a star pattern after you have fitted the top deck and check the chassis is true on a totally flat surface.

I always put a dab of threadlock on metal-to-metal fittings.

Diffs - I sanded down the high points off the diff pulley adaptor to make it a shade thinner to sit level with the 850 bearing when assembled. I have a sneaking suspicion it can cause a little bit of drag in the diff action, I could be completely wrong though! TOP suggest assembling the thrust in what I believe to be the WRONG way, which may cause sudden thrust failure. The spring should be close to the diff gear, the thrust should be on the untapped section by the screw head. The key to a reliable Yokomo diff is to pack the whole thrust assembly with black grease, it also makes it easier to assemble as it won't fall apart.

Installing drivetrain - you probably only need one of the plastic spacers to stop the diff moving side-to-side. I would actually prefer to use some 10mm shims (PA-101013) to get it a shade freer. I marked the eccentric rings with a silver pen on the top to make it easier to align them. I would recommend a starting tension if 1/2 for the rear belt and 3/4 loose for the front. The spur gear will benefit if mounted with 4mm shims (PA-100406).

Wheel hubs - TOP suggest two shims to the inside. I prefer one shim on the outside, one on the inside, this stops the wheel hex rubbing directly on the bearing. Check the hubs for free rotation with a wheel fitted, you may need to remove a shim or fit a thinner 5mm one (PA-100507).

Suspension - a pack of 3mm shims (PA-100305) goes a long way towards taking the play out of the suspension. Front C-hub is particularly loose (don't blame TOP, blame HPI!). Stabilisers must be assembled for free movement without play. I'm tempted to try the ZC-207A open ended links on the wishbone too.

Bumpers - because the Yokomo bumpers are built for a 3mm chassis and the Scythe has a 2mm chassis has standard, you can trim 1mm off the bottom edge of both to gain 1mm ride height for nothing! I used a Stanley knife.

Shocks - don't forget the o-rings in the threaded adjusters. Use #3 pistons. Note that the diaphragms are very soft and need to be pressed into place more than most to stop hydrolocking of the shock when assembled as the caps do not self bleed.

Setup

In terms of setup, the car seems to like running with the swaybars. I haven't had time to work out a no-swaybar setup, my guess is you would need to go a lot stiffer on the springs and mess about with roll centres too.

Build the shocks to 62mm length minimum with the standard towers, I do this by unscrewing the short shock bottoms and putting o-rings over the exposed threads to limit the uptravel. Otherwise you won't get enough droop.

Here is my current setup for Much-More 30 pre-mounts and a 19T motor on carpet. I still feel that the front is a bit too hooky, so I may go up a spring or raise the front rollcenter a little. Sorry I don't have it on a sheet...

Front: 4.75x1.4 Kit spring, 3-hole piston, #500 oil, 62mm+ shock length, middle hole on tower, outer hole on wishbone, droop gauge 5, camber link on inner hole with 2mm spacer, camber -1deg, zero degrees toe, inboard toe out 2.5deg, front suspension block spacer 0.5mm, rear spacer 1mm, ride height 5mm, 1.6mm sway bar.

Rear: 5.5x1.4 Kit spring, 3-hole piston, #350 oil, 62mm+ shock length, second outer hole on tower, middle hole on wishbone, droop gauge 3, camber link on inner hole with 2mm spacer, camber -1deg, inboard toe in 3deg, front suspension block spacer 1mm, rear spacer 0.5mm, ride height 5.5mm, 1.6mm sway bar, long wheelbase.

Diffs front and rear. Steering ackerman kit standard. Belt tension loosest for front, medium for rear. Gearing for 19T Atlas motor - 26/78.

Hope that helps, hope it isn't too long winded!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #83
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Ali Graham Send a message via Yahoo to Ali Graham

Hi everyone,
Well my car does seem to be going well on carpet with rubbers right now, with the one-way and at my local small club, a front diff.
I went to Hinckley RCCC in Leicester at the weekend, and this is (arguably) the most competitive club in the country so I was really looking forward to it. They run on medium grip carpet and tyre choice is normally vtec 24/27s. Not being a local I was seeded in a low heat which meant getting a fully clean run was relatively hard, but in the end I qualified 3rd. The car was handling awesomely, and I could not improve it in anyway and I had the fastest lap, so I was confident for the finals. I came 2nd in the first after a fairly poor start and won the second, which gave me the win. I received many compliments on the car and it in turn received lots of attention in the pits, and many were keen to comment on its awesome handling. All in all a very enjoyable days racing, and I look forward to racing at looming larger carpet events.
Thanks
Ali

PS If anyone is looking for setups there are some posted on www.muchmoreracing.com
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #84
Tech Addict

How was the car at the weekend Jimmy at Carpet Wars

The largest carpet event in the UK.
Nathan Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #85
Tech Regular

nathen-
car was very inconsistant and very hard to drive and being a international superstar in the 2nd from bottom heat it was very difficult to negatiate traffic, but hey its only the first round, im sure the title will be coming back north just like most of the other indoor series are so far in the uk!

regards jimmy
Old 11-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #86
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy..maddison
nathen-
car was very inconsistant and very hard to drive and being a international superstar in the 2nd from bottom heat it was very difficult to negatiate traffic, but hey its only the first round, im sure the title will be coming back north just like most of the other indoor series are so far in the uk!

regards jimmy
Hey Jimmy yeah I know you had a rough time mate but no way are you getting hands on my Title

But International superstar that must for Hair styles right
Nathan Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #87
Tech Regular

Hey you lot
I have just returned from round 2 of the CML Carpet Masters series, and am glad to say I have added to the list of indoor victories in the UK for the Scythe.
I took the quickest time in all 3 qualifying rounds, TQ'ing by 3 seconds, and I won both A finals, giving me the overall win.
The car was very smooth, accurate and fast and many were quick to comment on its excellent handling, and trying to figure out what car it actually was!
Here are some pics:

Ali
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #88
Tech Adept

hey ali any chance of getting your set up from carpet masters
Aid1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #89
Tech Regular

Aid1970, replied to your PM
Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #90
Tech Adept