Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #1833
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ng View Post
This parts is T.O.P. option parts for Photon

PO-PCH012RD Battery Mount x 2
PA-BMT01BK Battery Mount Tape - Black x 1

You can buy from T.O.P. agent
I don't think it would fit on my 6-cell chassis due to the different cutouts.

I see you have put Photon suspension on it too - what effects have you found from the different rear upper link geometry and the longer wheelbase at the front? Lots more rear grip?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #1834
Tech Adept

cheers for the set-up sosidge, it pretty much what I ve been running. Are track is pretty low grip at the moment so I am going to be trying sorex28's over the RP30's the car has great balance which I don'nt want to loose but its just not getting in to some of the corners.

Interested to hear back on the effects of the photon parts, could be another tuning aid!!

Was there ever a 17/35t set-up? I thought the 17tooth pulley was linked to the 37t diff pulley but mine seems to have 17/35?

cheesr
michael.branth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #1835
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.branth View Post
cheers for the set-up sosidge, it pretty much what I ve been running. Are track is pretty low grip at the moment so I am going to be trying sorex28's over the RP30's the car has great balance which I don'nt want to loose but its just not getting in to some of the corners.

Interested to hear back on the effects of the photon parts, could be another tuning aid!!

Was there ever a 17/35t set-up? I thought the 17tooth pulley was linked to the 37t diff pulley but mine seems to have 17/35?

cheesr
I've had the car on RP30s, Sorex 28s and VTEC 27s with that base setup. Balance was very consistent, although I find the RP30s have a little less grip than the Sorex and VTEC. VTEC are quite hard to find new now though, mine were bought in 2007!

35 probably means Tamiya pulleys? May also mean different belts? Personally feel there is no need for them, as the later-production TOP pulleys ran as true as anything else. The original 33T pulleys were a little bit difficult to glue the outer guides on to, and needed the centre bushing grinding down.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #1836
Tech Elite

ive heard of guys using the 35t tamiya or Serpent pulleys but have never tried them. The 33t ones that came on the car are adequate and work. I have been using the option 17t center pulleys.
only hassle has been finding new belts so have to go back to the 15t center pulley till i get some belts.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #1837
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am so sorry about that. Man I feel like a dumba$$. Thanks for pointing that out. I have removed my post and put it in the correct place.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Mangoats; 11-05-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Mangoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #1838
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

You need to post in this thread goats: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...uring-car.html
Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1839
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I've had the car on RP30s, Sorex 28s and VTEC 27s with that base setup. Balance was very consistent, although I find the RP30s have a little less grip than the Sorex and VTEC. VTEC are quite hard to find new now though, mine were bought in 2007!

35 probably means Tamiya pulleys? May also mean different belts? Personally feel there is no need for them, as the later-production TOP pulleys ran as true as anything else. The original 33T pulleys were a little bit difficult to glue the outer guides on to, and needed the centre bushing grinding down.
My mistake, just re-checked they are 33t, so I am running 17-33t
Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #1840
Tech Adept

Hi Just looking for some parts,

would buy used or looking for some where with them in stock:

Shock top mounts- the plastic ones on mine are gone, would yoke ones fit? ( they are based on yoke shocks ???)

Plastic motor pod- Can'nt find them any where

cheers,

the cars going quite well now, but could do with more initial turn in to 'get into' the corner- would reducing front toe out do this? I see a few people running 1-1.5 degrees?

cheers, again
Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #1841
Tech Elite

I'm certain the plastic motor pod is available from Much More UK as I just bought one the other week. Probably also the shock bushings - yes, they are Yokomo parts. If you buy the alloy versions that Yokomo do, then there is no risk of crushing them.

As far as the turn-in goes, this car has a LOT of turn in normally. Decreasing the sweep angle from 2.5 normally makes the turn-in milder.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #1842
Tech Elite

Evening all...

I have built up a "Scyton" (Photon/Scythe hybrid). Blogged here - http://www.sosidge.com/?p=516
Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #1843
Tech Adept

Good work!!!!

I've been tweaking your basic scythe set-up, mainly to stop a mid corner snatch bid race. Rear shock in one hole, 1mm under rear camber link, slight anti-dive in the front.

For those who do not have a photon I think I remember the cyclone TC wishbones having less sweep than the HPI Pro4 that are std on the scythe, could be wrong but it would be an option to lengthen the front wishbones like the scyton- did you consider the phoythe!!!

Also- how much longer does it make the rear link? and how does it compare to the outer hole in the std one?

I think anything that give the scythe a lease of life is great, I am so much faster and consistent than with a T2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Evening all...

I have built up a "Scyton" (Photon/Scythe hybrid). Blogged here - http://www.sosidge.com/?p=516
Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 AM   #1844
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.branth View Post
Good work!!!!

I've been tweaking your basic scythe set-up, mainly to stop a mid corner snatch bid race. Rear shock in one hole, 1mm under rear camber link, slight anti-dive in the front.
I actually went back to the 1.2/1.0 bar combo after only a few races with the 1.6's in the setup sheet. It's better balanced that way. Although I just had a bad meeting with the Scythe, struggling with rear end grip again, hence the Scyton!

Quote:
For those who do not have a photon I think I remember the cyclone TC wishbones having less sweep than the HPI Pro4 that are std on the scythe, could be wrong but it would be an option to lengthen the front wishbones like the scyton- did you consider the phoythe!!!
You may well be right about the TC wishbones - never seen them myself. Would explain a few things. Never considered a Phythe.

Quote:
Also - how much longer does it make the rear link? and how does it compare to the outer hole in the std one?
The inner link hole on a Photon is more or less in between the two holes on an HPI/HB rear hub.

Quote:
I think anything that give the scythe a lease of life is great, I am so much faster and consistent than with a T2009
The Scythe has a lot of merits in the chassis design that people overlook because it is "old".
Old 11-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #1845
Tech Elite

thats so true, the Scythe is such a underated chassis.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote