R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #1696
Tech Elite
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
i want to see some more pictures. does anny one now when they show the car?
I am pretty sure Josh can post some pictures. But the question is this, what NDA is he under to keep the car Top Secret? I know there was a photographer for the race at The Track, and I think he got a nice picture of the car as well.

All in all, if you have seen the Robitronic AVID, then you get an idea of what the Scythe looks like. Furthermore, add the Xray Foam top deck onto the car, and you will see what I saw.

If someone is skilled at Photoshop, try this combo out and post it. I think I can verify if it is accurate or not.

And yes, there was a lot of red on that car. Avid and Kysoho Stallion red too!
__________________
Car(s): Team Losi 22 1/10 Buggy, Team Losi 22 1/10 Stadium Truck
Motors/Engines: SP 13.5 v1.0, SP 17.5 v3.0 x2, RevTech 7.5
Radio: Spektrum DX3R, DX3S
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #1697
Tech Addict
 
stonedgti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 699
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I've seen the car first hand, and it's no where like the Avid (I had one btw), other than the color red. It's also very different from the Xray. It's got a pretty cool design, and is a bit similar to a certain car, but I'll let the TOP guys show you when they're ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I am pretty sure Josh can post some pictures. But the question is this, what NDA is he under to keep the car Top Secret? I know there was a photographer for the race at The Track, and I think he got a nice picture of the car as well.

All in all, if you have seen the Robitronic AVID, then you get an idea of what the Scythe looks like. Furthermore, add the Xray Foam top deck onto the car, and you will see what I saw.

If someone is skilled at Photoshop, try this combo out and post it. I think I can verify if it is accurate or not.

And yes, there was a lot of red on that car. Avid and Kysoho Stallion red too!
__________________
Team Powers | ORCA | OD 12 Racing | NorCal Hobbies | JWerks | Sonic Racing | Team Gayzer | AYO Racing | Team Hastings | Uncle Larry Concepts | Moonlight Toys
stonedgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #1698
Tech Regular
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in a house
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedgti View Post
I've seen the car first hand, and it's no where like the Avid (I had one btw), other than the color red. It's also very different from the Xray. It's got a pretty cool design, and is a bit similar to a certain car, but I'll let the TOP guys show you when they're ready.
I think he is saying that cause he is trying to sell an avid!!
__________________
Team Wave Speedies
Thunder power lipo's
flying fox rc
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #1699
pmc
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pinhal novo - Portugal
Posts: 173
Default

hello

Top racing tires N20 L20 and C20
http://www.top-racing.jp/showProduct...&ProductID=165

Anybody know these tires?
what the strengths and weaknesses of it?
wish is the characteristics of this tires and the best inserts for it ?

Thanks in advance
Best regards:
Pedro Silva
pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 AM   #1700
Tech Master
 
xray racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 1,570
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Hey

I'm having a few problems with my Scythe Diffs, i cant seem to build them without excessive slip.

They are fine for stock, and 10.5 on flowing tracks, but in tighter corners, and especially running Mod, i just seem find the diff slips everywhere.

I cant find anything abnormal or 'wrong' about the diffs... but yet another racers diff has almost no slip compared to mine?... i'm not sure what the problem could be.

I know a lot of guys are changing the pulleys to Tamiya etc, but considering the exact same diff as mine in another car doesnt slip... i'd like to find the problem first.

Any ideas?

And while i'm at it... i dont suppose anyone from TOP has any further info on the Photon...

Cheers

Robbie
__________________
Robbie Lloyd

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #1701
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Helmond
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray racer View Post
Hey

I'm having a few problems with my Scythe Diffs, i cant seem to build them without excessive slip.

They are fine for stock, and 10.5 on flowing tracks, but in tighter corners, and especially running Mod, i just seem find the diff slips everywhere.

I cant find anything abnormal or 'wrong' about the diffs... but yet another racers diff has almost no slip compared to mine?... i'm not sure what the problem could be.

I know a lot of guys are changing the pulleys to Tamiya etc, but considering the exact same diff as mine in another car doesnt slip... i'd like to find the problem first.

Any ideas?

And while i'm at it... i dont suppose anyone from TOP has any further info on the Photon...

Cheers

Robbie
i hath the same problem.
i use now only a very litle bit of diff lube on it.
i use ceramic diff balls. in the beginning you must tighten your diff several times.
I drive 10,5 6 cell and didnīt hath any problems with it.
I use the ea diff lube for it. it works great.
And no Tamiya parts on my car. Only TOP and hotbodies (HPI) and some times Xray castor blocks.
The car is better without anny Tamiya stuff on it

I hope the photo's from the new TOP will come soon.
__________________
http://www.mikky32.com
Tekin RS pro
TOP racing Photon
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #1702
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray racer View Post
Hey

I'm having a few problems with my Scythe Diffs, i cant seem to build them without excessive slip.

They are fine for stock, and 10.5 on flowing tracks, but in tighter corners, and especially running Mod, i just seem find the diff slips everywhere.

I cant find anything abnormal or 'wrong' about the diffs... but yet another racers diff has almost no slip compared to mine?... i'm not sure what the problem could be.

I know a lot of guys are changing the pulleys to Tamiya etc, but considering the exact same diff as mine in another car doesnt slip... i'd like to find the problem first.

Any ideas?

And while i'm at it... i dont suppose anyone from TOP has any further info on the Photon...

Cheers

Robbie
Can you let us know what parts you are using to build the diffs?

I agree basically with what mikky32 said - try and use only a smear of silicone lube on the main balls. Too much silicone grease packs out the diff gear and stops the plates tightening down fully.

I have no problems with mine and I am using all original parts, including the wonky Yokomo outdrives! Diff stickers make a HUGE difference to the time between rebuilds.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #1703
Tech Master
 
rcjunkie3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 1,072
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Hey EJ,

Thanks for the front universal shafts on Saturday. I have some questions regarding some Scythe pulley parts and belts. Check your PM.

I will be placing an order with OD today.

Thanks.
__________________
RCJunkie3000 - Gonzo69 Paints / Lex Tyler Paints / Norcal Hobbies
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/344416-rcjunkie3000s-garage-sale-batteries-escs-chargers-cars-accessories-etc.html
rcjunkie3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #1704
Tech Elite
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
I think he is saying that cause he is trying to sell an avid!!
Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It did look like an AVID. Josh and I joked about it as well! And yes, it was because of all the red.
__________________
Car(s): Team Losi 22 1/10 Buggy, Team Losi 22 1/10 Stadium Truck
Motors/Engines: SP 13.5 v1.0, SP 17.5 v3.0 x2, RevTech 7.5
Radio: Spektrum DX3R, DX3S
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 AM   #1705
Tech Elite
 
fastolfart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: OZ
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
I'm having a few problems with my Scythe Diffs, i cant seem to build them without excessive slip.
Robbie,
If the diffs are still the same as when I used to race TOPs, the centre ring in the drive pulley was too wide and needed to be sanded thinner so the diff could be tightened properly.

Pete
__________________
It is so hard to fix the driver, but so easy to blame the car.
fastolfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #1706
Tech Master
 
xray racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 1,570
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Pete,

I've tried doing that... but it didnt seem to make a big difference... it just got rid of some of the 'lumpiness' of the diff.

Unless i just need to sand it smaller again???... its already less than the thickness of the pulley center.

Sosidge, i've built the diffs with both ceramic and steel diff balls and thrust bearings and neither seems to be better than the other... except the steel balls seem to last longer between rebuilds. I am using the Tamiya thrust bearing and the Alloy diff halfs.

I also use very little diff lube... basically a smear across each diff plate.

Also, it seems as though the diff spring coils are collapsed before the diff is rid of all the slip. However i've also tried 3 new diff springs... they seem to be the same?

Unless it is that i just need to sand the center bearing carrier thinner, but it seems at the moment that the diff halves will bottom out against each other before the center locks... if that makes sense.

Cheers

Robbie
__________________
Robbie Lloyd

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #1707
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

try adding a washer to teh screw side, might be that you bottoming out teh screw so its not tightening up or teh screw is getting stretched seeing they very thin.
I use Tamiya diff screws and thrust with the rest all stock scythe parts and works perfectly in my mod car on the front and rear.
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #1708
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray racer View Post
Pete,

I've tried doing that... but it didnt seem to make a big difference... it just got rid of some of the 'lumpiness' of the diff.

Unless i just need to sand it smaller again???... its already less than the thickness of the pulley center.

Sosidge, i've built the diffs with both ceramic and steel diff balls and thrust bearings and neither seems to be better than the other... except the steel balls seem to last longer between rebuilds. I am using the Tamiya thrust bearing and the Alloy diff halfs.

I also use very little diff lube... basically a smear across each diff plate.

Also, it seems as though the diff spring coils are collapsed before the diff is rid of all the slip. However i've also tried 3 new diff springs... they seem to be the same?

Unless it is that i just need to sand the center bearing carrier thinner, but it seems at the moment that the diff halves will bottom out against each other before the center locks... if that makes sense.

Cheers

Robbie
The bearing spacer is a good point, I'd forgotten about that part, yes it does need modding. Sand it down until it is the same thickness as the diff gear itself. Sounds like that is what you have already done. Don't worry about the diff halves bottoming out, the balls will keep them apart.

Spring crushing flat before the diff is tight is a strange one though - since you have replaced it already I have no explanation for why that would happen.

You're using the right parts with the alloy diff halves though - Tamiya's one-piece thrust is much better than the caged TOP thrust.

The only thing I can think of is that one part has got distorted but it is not something you can see with the naked eye. Complete part-by-part replacement may be the only way to get a cure. The alloy outdrives do build a good diff, I have built them and seen them first-hand.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #1709
Tech Master
 
xray racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 1,570
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
The bearing spacer is a good point, I'd forgotten about that part, yes it does need modding. Sand it down until it is the same thickness as the diff gear itself. Sounds like that is what you have already done. Don't worry about the diff halves bottoming out, the balls will keep them apart.

Spring crushing flat before the diff is tight is a strange one though - since you have replaced it already I have no explanation for why that would happen.

You're using the right parts with the alloy diff halves though - Tamiya's one-piece thrust is much better than the caged TOP thrust.

The only thing I can think of is that one part has got distorted but it is not something you can see with the naked eye. Complete part-by-part replacement may be the only way to get a cure. The alloy outdrives do build a good diff, I have built them and seen them first-hand.

Yeh it certainly is bizarre. I have had the diff for quite some time now, of course i've gone through rings and balls, but still the original diff halves. I've even recently built the diff several times once after the other- changing different parts in and out such as the pulley, center bearing carrier and all the internals... and nothing seems to change...

Perhaps i got a dodgy batch of diff springs???...

But between the three i have sitting here, there is almost no difference in height between them.

Cheers

Robbie
__________________
Robbie Lloyd

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #1710
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Helmond
Posts: 1,544
Default

witch site of the diff plates do you use?
the shine site or the litle bit dorker site?
Te darker site has a bit less grip and your diff balls wil slip a bit more.
__________________
http://www.mikky32.com
Tekin RS pro
TOP racing Photon
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***** SCYTHE red " IIC 2007" edition***** spy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 12-01-2007 10:21 AM
"""NEW""" Collari .21 3 port buggy motor lc21-b3 goneRVing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-20-2006 06:25 PM
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 10-22-2006 09:49 PM
""" XRAY FK05 """ excellent cond/super clean/stock evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-29-2006 10:04 PM
New TEAM ASSOCIATED RC10L3 "Touring" pan car for sale. "TEAM VERSION" Ron Meloni R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-24-2003 03:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:40 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net