R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #1651
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That pic seems to be at just the right angle so that you don't see the things that are obviously different. I didn't get a good look at the car as Josh had the car apart when I spoke to him at Fastcats.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #1652
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER

monte hess check your messages
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #1653
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
http://boomerzworld-com.smugmug.com/...941_BpJbw-O-LB

Few good points.
Tower behind shocks, looks like towers mounted to lower bulkheads, with a graphite cap holding in the diff, and top link mounts (i would hope this is changed to alloy, i hated this setup with the original 415)
Fine shock angle holes.
Kyosho shocks?
Centrepoint steering

Looks good, but doesnt look too groundbreaking from that angle.
somewhat correct... but its what the pics dont show that is different. after looking at the two cars he had with him at Novak, it def has a few twists to it, guaranteed.

and yea, he was using the Kyosho shocks on the foam car, as he was familiar with them, and the prototype TOPs werent ready yet. i noticed the rubber tire car had some red TRFs on it as well. both cars were looking pretty good.

yup, the spool was very cool. i especially liked the diff design as well.

i didnt take any pics myself, and didnt ask to...lol.

Hi, EJ!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #1654
Tech Master

Unfortunetly, I missed that pic being taken but I can garantee that it wasn't taken at close range as I've turned away anyone I've seen with a camera within 15-20ft of the car and made sure to keep an eye on them. Yes, there has been oppertunities for people to take pictures but most have had respect for our wishes to keep it from being photographed.

Beserco - While there is graphite there it's much easier to acess and work on than the origional 415 was. It also gives us fine adjustment for the camber link position without putting a strange angle in the camber link like other cars. I used the Kyosho shocks as I have a pretty good set-up with them for foam while we wait for our new TOP shocks to arrive.

As far as ground breaking... Na. It's just a very refined and every detail considered type of car to give the user anything and everything they would/could ever want from their TC. There's a lot of "trick" features with the car that you couldn't see in the pic but as the TC market evolves and matures I think it's almost impossible to impress anyone on-line and especially in the World of R/C Tech where everyone is a critic and TC genius...lol... Really, anything any mfg's produces these days is belittled and criticized on here so I've already prepared myself for the "you copied *@*&#%" and other various negative comments. With the new Photon, I am confident we have a very good base to work from with ample adjustments, super light drivetrain, strong suspension components and all the essentials to put the car up with the best out there. Not to mention the fact that I've had other top drivers and engineers tell me how impressed they are with the car and even some tell me that they are jealous and they wish their sponsor's car was like the Photon. I know the group of us who have worked so hard to develop the Photon are proud and have done a great job. Soon, everyone else will get to see it too!!

Did I mention EJ already won the Regionals @ Ripon with a very early (and pieced together) version of the car and I've now won the last two Northeast Grand Slam events with the Photon?? And that's still in pre-production form without a lot of the final fit/finished parts that are only going to make the car better!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #1655
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Josh....

Does the new shocks come with nice clean pistons like the tamiya shocks or will they still be on a parts tree?
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #1656
Tech Master

Josh, great job for what i see in the photo.
the dog boons look very nice. also the top plate.
The only thing i don't like are the white drive belts.
First thing i will do is make them black!
the rest is great.

but buy an other car body and airbrush it. White is so white!!
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #1657
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Josh - I guess if you really wanted to keep the car secret, then every monkey in attendance at each race would not have been given the opportunity to ogle it.

My point about the graphite plate, that undoubtedly it will require some disasembly to change camber link position and height, although i could see some benefit of being allowed optional plates with fine link length options. I just hated having to get access to the screw head from underneath on the 415.

Extremely well done on the wins however from the results it was a thin field, with 2nd and 3rd being TOP drivers (Scythe) and only finishing a fraction behind. Again this is on a postage stamp size carpet track, where the majority of the world runs on low grip asphalt rubber, i just hope that the Photon does not let down what the TOP Scythe is currently renowned for, mega grip in low grip conditions.

Looking forward for more "Spy" shots
Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #1658
Tech Master

Dragonfire - It will come with molded pistons and I am not aware of any plans for aftermarket "machined" ones. The difference though is that these are not your "typical" piston. They are a special shape to aid in the fit/drag and fluid flow through them. In my testing, they were much more consitant than even a machined piston.

mikky32 - The white belts are the Bomber belts. The production belts (which I just recieved) are black belts so you won't need spray paint. As far as the body, I didn't have time to get any to my painter as I've been really busy with other stuff. I will have all painted bodies for the Snowbirds and I already have all the rubber tire bodies on their way here so I can get them painted for the coming races.

Besercoe - When you are in person at a race, people are going to see it whether it's standing next to the track or working on it at the bench. To hide it at an event is impossible. Also, to let people look and even pick up the car usually gives them no reason to sneak pics out onto the web. You can talk to them and tell them - Yes, the shocks aren't production and there are other minor things that will change as needed so there aren't so many questions and speculations online. The top decks I've been running are previous designs and the production ones look different. As far as the camber link plate - you can use thin nut to lock the screw in place. I hope you weren't talking about the Photon wins..... Beating Kevin Herbert on his home track after he had run either 1st, 2nd or 3rd all year in both 10.5, 13.5 and Mod classes as well as a bunch of other great drivers. Last weekend @ 360 it was against a lot of the top Losi guys (who dominated the Birds last year except in Mod).... I haven't raced against any TOP drivers racing a Scythe while I was racing the Photon either...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #1659
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

I just wanted to pop in and say this car is for real. After see it and holding it in person I liked it alot and if I wasn't such a losi die hard I'd have one. I love the real low chassis braces and the upper link mounts, etc.

Good Job Josh and all the engineers at TOP for what looks to be an awesome car and probably the car to have in the coming months, years, Etc.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #1660
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Unfortunetly, I missed that pic being taken...
Of course you missed it...your eyes were closed Siesta?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #1661
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Hey Josh... great job this weekend @ 360 cleaning house yet again.

Maybe next time I won't deliver myself on the first lap to make it a better fight.

The Photon definitely looks good though. It's different yet subtle at the same time. Tough to reinvent touring cars anymore without doing something drastic and I think Josh did a great job on the car.

See ya in Orlando.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #1662
Tech Master

Ron - Thanks!!

OD - One of those perfect picture moments.... I don't think I fell asleep at the table... It was the Novak Race and not the Birds....lol...

Schreff - Thanks! You guys were definatly quick and I was very happy to get the lucky break and hold on for the win. Honestly thought - We were both lucky as Fairtrace had us covered if it weren't for his LCD letting go in qualifying. I've already made some changes to hopefully help with my HP for the Birds and beyond. Hopefully, you guys will come down to the final leg and I'll have the finished car by then so we can have a re-match!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #1663
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Hey Josh, got a chance to look at the car at the Novak race but wish I would have stopped by when you were not so busy. Not sure when that was though. Anyway, best of luck to you in Florida.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #1664
Tech Master

you made me happy Josh.

When will be the car shown to everyone?
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #1665
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

any one have experience running touring with foam Tyre on asphalt.? how about lap time ? this coz of rubber tyre more expensive than foam tyre come already glue with rim ..

need help
smilekt is offline   Reply With Quote