Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 touring car - body mounting alternatives? >

1/10 touring car - body mounting alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 touring car - body mounting alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? 1/10 touring car - body mounting alternatives?

So I need to make custom body mounts for a scaler body - So I'd rather not drill large holes for body posts. Plus the lexan seems very thin and soft. I assume it will deflect quite a bit at speed and may cause splitting / cracking where the holes are drilled for the body posts.
I know magnets are a popular method for drifters, rock crawlers etc, though I wasn't sure how well they'd hold down at speed. I assume they'd lift/blow off easily as soon as any wind gets underneath.
I was also thinking about velcro, though I'm worried it might over stretch the lexan and paint when removing the body.
Are there any other options out there?
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Seems like Velcro might work. Use shoo goo to mount it to the underside of the lexan...might want to do clear coat layer over the paint first. Then, an idea...cut off alternating rows of the hooks on the side of the Velcro on the body (if you catch my drift), so attachment is not crazy strong.

You will probably need to use goo on whatever mounting surface you use on the chassis as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

I just figured out they're called "Stealth body mounts"
I suppose I'm just wondering how they hold up for a touring car. I assume magnet method would pop off if there is any slight contact, bump or crash, which isn't ideal... Unless the magnets are really strong?
Velcro seems like the way to go in terms of strength. Though, if it is too strong, I suppose I could always reinforce the body. Cant help be worried it would just rip the paint clean off the lexan. Only other down side I can think of would be that it takes a few more seconds to align/centre the body... That might get annoying