Like Tree14Likes

Foam tyre TC setups

Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
i may be silly for asking but is there any national/regional or world sanction races that use foams on tc classes? if not why waste time setting up cars if you will have to run rubber tires at those events,
New classes (or resurrections like F1, Pro10 and maybe Foam TC) rarely start at regional/national/world level. They start at club level, then when enough people are racing the class, some folks get together and start organising bigger events. Maybe foam will take off. Maybe it will stay in obscurity.

I don't consider my time wasted if I'm enjoying it. For me it's a bigger waste to run a tyre I don't enjoy. I see folks bitching and moaning about rubber tyres at every event, but they're too scared of change to do something totally different.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
i may be silly for asking but is there any national/regional or world sanction races that use foams on tc classes? if not why waste time setting up cars if you will have to run rubber tires at those events,
I guess its for the heck of it.

I'm in the same boat as far as racing goes though, foamies are unlikely to make a comeback, and if did and we started to be serious about foam racing we would need all new chassis with the proper stiffness and geometry to run foam roll centers because foamies are much smaller tires than rubber when cut to race size. It would be like WGT-R, except probably even more extreme in its changes.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I guess its for the heck of it.

I'm in the same boat as far as racing goes though, foamies are unlikely to make a comeback, and if did and we started to be serious about foam racing we would need all new chassis with the proper stiffness and geometry to run foam roll centers because foamies are much smaller tires than rubber when cut to race size. It would be like WGT-R, except probably even more extreme in its changes.
it will send us back to the 4mm top deck and chassis , 33lb springs and cutting tires to the rim
Old 06-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
New classes (or resurrections like F1, Pro10 and maybe Foam TC) rarely start at regional/national/world level. They start at club level, then when enough people are racing the class, some folks get together and start organising bigger events. Maybe foam will take off. Maybe it will stay in obscurity.

I don't consider my time wasted if I'm enjoying it. For me it's a bigger waste to run a tyre I don't enjoy. I see folks bitching and moaning about rubber tyres at every event, but they're too scared of change to do something totally different.
depends on set up and sirface , im still using my hand out Solaris 36's from last year at my local club track nad they are still in good shape $25 well spent since i got over 10 race weekends on them
Old 06-14-2018, 12:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ran the foams again last night outdoors. This week I got the car up to weight (90g of ballast!) to make it a little more fair, and switched to modified to push all that extra weight.

I took the outright track record, which lasted for 1 round when one of the top rubber guys fitted a new set of boots and beat my time by a tenth. He found 3 seconds from new rubbers.

With the foams it's like having new tyres every run, so I can still have close racing with the rubber guys which is nice. That set of foams is now about done (or maybe saved for indoors). 14 runs out of one set of £13 tyres, very cost effective! At the same track I'd probably spend 3 times that much using rubbers.

Video here - I'm the bright yellow one, the bright pink one behind me is Alex Thurston on new rubbers. Scrappy runs for both of us as the wind really picked up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0gFWTZwDrc&feature=youtu.be

Setup here for anyone interested:
XRAY ::: Set-up Sheet - T4'17
Sean B. likes this.

Last edited by daleburr; 06-14-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Some people may be over-thinking this a bit. You don’t need a whole new car with different geometry to run foams. My T4 feels real nice with foams on. Running with nitro foams is quite a bit different than running purples or plaids like back in the day. I found my tire wear fairly even, with just a little cleanup on a truer every couple race days.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sean B. View Post
Some people may be over-thinking this a bit. You donít need a whole new car with different geometry to run foams. My T4 feels real nice with foams on. Running with nitro foams is quite a bit different than running purples or plaids like back in the day. I found my tire wear fairly even, with just a little cleanup on a truer every couple race days.
Yeah indeed. Back in the 90s it was slow brushed motors, cells short of capacity, heavy cars, soft indoor foams, and crude heavy cars with big shocks, high CoG etc.

Things have changed a lot. I'm basically running a high-grip indoor (rubber) setup on my foam car and it's awesome. I've tried going stiffer on springs and it just becomes edgy and has less grip.
Sean B. likes this.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

An alternative set of foams for you to try that do fit out of the packet:

https://www.zen-racing.co.uk/catalog...258c6c4125ec1a
Old 06-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah indeed. Back in the 90s it was slow brushed motors, cells short of capacity, heavy cars, soft indoor foams, and crude heavy cars with big shocks, high CoG etc.

Things have changed a lot. I'm basically running a high-grip indoor (rubber) setup on my foam car and it's awesome. I've tried going stiffer on springs and it just becomes edgy and has less grip.
I'm not saying that it cant be run or cant be fast (at least in comparison to rubber) but if foam starts to run seriously on indoor carpet, the chassis requirements will mean we will have different cars for foam and rubber. There was good reason all of the foam cars were tossed onto the shelf when there was no more foam to run. Everything has changed but it's all still the same... how long into a foam racing season will it be before someone starts wondering "Hey, I bet a different top-deck would work better with these foamies..." and then the real fun begins.

On asphalt, none of this really applies, but on that gluey carpet its another story.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:43 AM
Be6
Tech Rookie

Would anyone have the code for the matrix 26mm front and 30mm rear that has been talked about? Currently running Contact nitro 26mm front and 30mm rear - (cut to 26mm). Just got some Gravity foams to try next race day too.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Contact also makes electric tC foams. They are 26mm and are used front and rear. They are pretty good
Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

I was wondering if I can get anyones opinion on 3Racing Tire Truer. I have tried to buy used Hudy truer to no avail, and the new ones just cost too much.
It is half the price of a Hudy, but I just wanted to make sure that it performs similar to the Hudy. Any input, good or bad would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sonny8692 View Post
I was wondering if I can get anyones opinion on 3Racing Tire Truer. I have tried to buy used Hudy truer to no avail, and the new ones just cost too much.
It is half the price of a Hudy, but I just wanted to make sure that it performs similar to the Hudy. Any input, good or bad would be appreciated.
I haven't used that one, but in general 3racing stuff is pretty decent. I have one of their arbors for my truer and its fine.

Mine is the cheapest one I could get, from Fastrax in the UK. I don't think you need an expensive truer, it's not doing anything difficult.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

We bunch of guys that have been running the Gravity tires indoor for fun. Like the other here also noticed the wear on rear is higher and we have been running 2 sets rear and switch every fourth run. We have used the same setup as we used for rubbertires and not really tried to change it.

For the outdoor season I run my Serpent 748e and just bolt on the tires, mostly Capricorns 37 front and 40 rear. I adjust with the turbo to keep ut with the Nitro guys when the tire gets smaler. I also use the 2 to 1 ration on rear tires here. This is not the fastest option that would be trueing my tires but this works ok, I would say that I gain 0.7 seconds on our track when I am at right rideheight, setup is for 62/64 tires. Trackreckord from Nitro +40 EM last year is about 18.75 and I run 19.8
Old 06-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

I haven't used that one, but in general 3racing stuff is pretty decent. I have one of their arbors for my truer and its fine.

Mine is the cheapest one I could get, from Fastrax in the UK. I don't think you need an expensive truer, it's not doing anything difficult.
Do they deliver to the US?