My First On-road Electric

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First On-road Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a better price for a TA-05 with new style body. TA-05 has more potentional than TT-01 and would be a better choice if you want to start racing in a later stadium.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ok, you pretty much have everyone giving you ideas of what to buy. keep this in mind when you buy your car, does your local hobby store(lhs) carry your tc(touring car) parts instock or do they have to order it(or you order it online). i have yokomo's and my lhs stop ordering there parts because everyone went to xray(another high-end tc). that is why i said get a tc3(made by associate) because most lhs carry the parts in stock. pretty much every lhs has associate, team losi, and most carry hpi, and now xray. and even the good ones carry tamiya. just something to keep in mind, also i agree with getting some good hex drivers because they can help with not stripping screws.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Tech Initiate

You should check Ebay out too. They have heaps of TA-05's on there for around $115 US. I actually brought mine on it for about $126 at christmas time.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Here is a better price for a TA-05 with new style body. TA-05 has more potentional than TT-01 and would be a better choice if you want to start racing in a later stadium.
How's that a better price after shipping.
Look, the TA05 for the money is your best choice. Shaft cars really suck. If your new in the hobby like you say. You'll find out that shafts aren't as durable as belts. Don't argue shaft lovers because we all know shaft cars strip gears fairly easy. The TA05 can be run into a wall and I doubt if it will break anything. What I'm trying to tell you is that the TA05 can be used as a basher or a top of the line race car. Here's my most important advice to you from experience. Sometimes spending a little more the first time around and getting something good will actually save you alot of money down the road. If you go out and by lets say the TT01. And you find out it's not much of a perfomer, and now you want something better. You just wasted $160.00 bucks on a peice of junk that nobody will buy from you for a decent price. So you lose money on that car and end up spending twice the amount on a second car, inturn you could be spending that money on better gear to go faster. I hope this info helps.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hurley081182
ok, you pretty much have everyone giving you ideas of what to buy. keep this in mind when you buy your car, does your local hobby store(lhs) carry your tc(touring car) parts instock or do they have to order it(or you order it online). i have yokomo's and my lhs stop ordering there parts because everyone went to xray(another high-end tc). that is why i said get a tc3(made by associate) because most lhs carry the parts in stock. pretty much every lhs has associate, team losi, and most carry hpi, and now xray. and even the good ones carry tamiya. just something to keep in mind, also i agree with getting some good hex drivers because they can help with not stripping screws.
If the guy is smart enough to post on this forum for advice. I'm sure he will now that he can buy parts from hundreds of online stores. Plus, he already mentioned he was thinking of buying the TA05 from speedteh, but they were out of stock. If he goes with tamiya, he can call tamiya direct, and the'll ship directly to him.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm not too worried about parts. Some of you guys are telling me to go more of an offroad vehicle and I'm thinking that might be a good idea at least get one of those buggy style cars that can take some curbs. I'm just so torn...
One of you told me that the TA05's or whatever that ride really low might catch some gravel on a not very clean roadway if i take it off onto the regular streets. I just think I'll be spending most of my time outside the front of my new house and I just don't want to worry about it catching gravel because it's ground clearance is so terribly low. I doubt I'll be racing this thing professionally on a stadium or track any time soon. I mean maybe a blacktop parking lot occasionally but just in case it's not well brushed I think I should stick with something a bit more rugged. Although I love the low look and the cars are sweet and I'm sure they are probably fast but If I could get something just as fast but more durable in a sense of jumping curbs and being a little crazy then I think I'll go with that. I mean I knew obviously I wouldn't be able to do jumps and stuff with the racing cars but I'm still looking into it. I appreciate your help.

If I go into any detail on what I'm looking for in Offroad I realize I should move over to the diff forum.

Continue to give input, you guys are really helping me a lot!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Default 1/18th

There is a great site http://www.one18th.com/ with seperate forums for each model of 1/18th cars off road and on road.

The problem you will have buying any of the reccomended electric touring cars is difficulty of maintainence and repair. You hit a curb and you will have to dissasemble your front suspension (possibly the whole frnt end of your car) replace a part(s), if you are lucky you can find the part locally.

I bought a TC car already built because I wanted to avoid the 'hassle' of building a kit. In the last two years I have disassembled and reassembled the car a dozen times. I am like a special forces guy and his M16. I believe I could rebuild an XXX-S in the dark underwater.

If you like the 1/18 mini truck you can customize or hop it up, there are a few places where they race them. If you really like it and what to get invovled in competitive racing, you will have the experience to make a good decision on what 1/10 scale to get. A majoirty of the skills and knowledge you will gain from the 1/18th truck/buggy will directly translate into 1/10th on road.

The three packages I would look at are the Losi mini-t Ready to Run(RTR) for $99. The Duratrax Vendetta 1/18th Buggy or the Team Associated RC18t. You will find more info and comparisons at the url I listed at the beggining.