R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tree95z Send a message via MSN to tree95z

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley081182
here u go. rtr tc3 on ebay with a good radio that you can use for awhile. http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Associated-...QQcmdZViewItem

has 3 sets of 3300 batteries with it, and bunch of other stuff. not a bad deal it has 4 days left on it though. also there is a pro4 on here that is for $300 rtr. i figured that is alittle more then what you want to spend but wanted to show you. http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101924

hope this helps
You know about how fast that TC3 would go?

Also, will any TC3 Body Style fit it?
tree95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree95z
It's the building it thing that scares me, I'm new to this. Not familiar with anything, not even building model cars. So this definately could be a trick for me. I mean I build computers but that's about as far as it gets. Is it fairly easy for a newbie to build his own TA05?

I have no idea about this kind of stuff.
believe me a tamiya starter kit has the best instructions ever!everything is in labled bags and full size diagrams are provided.all you need is a decent screwdriver and a free day and you can have it all done including the body plus you know how to maintain it when you smack a curb and rip the wheel off

if you want something robust enough to run in the street i would go with a tamiya, but if racings got your fancy then associated TC3, yokomo sd, losi xxx-s and hpi pro 4 are probably gonna be available quite cheap as they're the older gen (sort of!) but still very capable bits of kit. you'll get all the loyalists on here now having a go "my ones the best "

the bodies can be changed into anything really.don't know about a camaro in the usa but available in the uk is an hpi racing one think its new gen tho.
Carpetwars/Sidcup RCC/Maritime Racing/7oaksmcc
Racingbod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fast enough. Im a rookie driver and i race an RTR TC3 and all I did to be competitive was asked around and see what motor everyone was running and messed around with the gears and I am just as fast if not faster than most people on the track. Im one of few people that would admit my driving is usually why I lose to others.
That ebay deal looks pretty good to me , especially for someone new to the hobby.
Also you might want to consider parts availablility. I love Tamiya stuff but where I live parts are hard to get. Associated usually has parts at most hobby stores.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
You know about how fast that TC3 would go?

Also, will any TC3 Body Style fit it?
as fast as the motor/speedo/battery/gearing combo you put in it a race chassis will be up to much faster kit than a bog standard ta05 so chose which path you wana follow. robust but basic or fast and weak! a tricked out ta05 is a good compromise but will cost some cash getting to tc3 standard!

touring car bodies are pretty universal. protoform, parma, hpi, losi, yokomo all make 190mm wide bodyshells
Carpetwars/Sidcup RCC/Maritime Racing/7oaksmcc
Racingbod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

You gotta remember, when you're talking to me, you're talking to someone that knows absolutely nothing so when you start listing abbreviations and model names it means nothing. I need something to see otherwise it's useless to tell me things hehe. You guys have been really great and I appreciate the warm welcome into the hobby!

This is one way I've been searching to find something in my price range ready to run. Now you guys are recommending not going RTR and getting something I have to build. So if you can get me some sort of search results on Froogle that I can click and see pics just give me recommendation links and stuff so I can see whenever you get a chance. That'd be great!

I appreciate your help again! thanks!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

I sent you a Private Message containing some basic info to hopefully clear some stuff up for you, and here is a couple pictures of my old HPI camaro body and the real one just for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails
My First On-road Electric-ss1.jpg   My First On-road Electric-ss2.jpg   My First On-road Electric-ss3.jpg   My First On-road Electric-side-view2.jpg  
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a TA03R RTR for 75$ including two 2000mah batteries and a charger, it was never used much.

Last edited by Alexander; 02-15-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I have a TA03R RTR for 75$ including two 2000mah batteries one of which is brand new, it was never used much.
Can I see pictures?

Also, what do you guys think of this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44022

or this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 02-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Xcal Send a message via AIM to Xcal Send a message via MSN to Xcal

Quote:
It's the building it thing that scares me, I'm new to this. Not familiar with anything, not even building model cars. So this definately could be a trick for me. I mean I build computers but that's about as far as it gets. Is it fairly easy for a newbie to build his own TA05?

I have no idea about this kind of stuff.
Its really quite easy. I built my TA-05 at Christmas time this year and it was the first time i have ever built a RC car, even as i kid i had never built one.

The instructions are very clear and as someone said, everything is labled and goes together easily. I put it all together in about 8 hrs in total with only a couple of times i had to scratch my head and think about it for a while.

Also if you have built the car yourself i found that you have a greater understanding of what the car is doing, and if you have a problem than you know what parts is in it and can work out easier what is causing it and will be able to fix it easier cause you know how too pull it apart.
Xcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcal
Its really quite easy. I built my TA-05 at Christmas time this year and it was the first time i have ever built a RC car, even as i kid i had never built one.

The instructions are very clear and as someone said, everything is labled and goes together easily. I put it all together in about 8 hrs in total with only a couple of times i had to scratch my head and think about it for a while.

Also if you have built the car yourself i found that you have a greater understanding of what the car is doing, and if you have a problem than you know what parts is in it and can work out easier what is causing it and will be able to fix it easier cause you know how too pull it apart.
I agree, even though I've not built one I would like to know everything about the car and what it's doing so I'm thinking that might be a good idea for me.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin

I think you should shy away from the RTR tamiyas, get to know what the car does and how it goes together. You should look for a Tc3 RTR and upgrade later on if you like the sport enough. Thats what I did
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Default new

Hey tree,
welcom to the sport, I'm sure you'll love it as much as i do.
I used to work at a hobby store and we always recommed beginners to purchase a kit. building the car will familiarize you with how everythings goes together and works. I also recommend any tamiya car because of the excellent and easy to follow instructions. the diagrams are very helpful too.
all you's need is a hex screw driver medium and small, available at any lhs.
Tamiya kits go together perfectly so when parts don't fit exactly then you know that you are on the wrong track. also I think that the enjoyment of building the kit along with the anticipation of the completed cars is almost as much fun as running the car.

look around for the tao5 , iv'e seen these as low as $115 usd.
have fun!
wn
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk
Hey tree,
welcom to the sport, I'm sure you'll love it as much as i do.
I used to work at a hobby store and we always recommed beginners to purchase a kit. building the car will familiarize you with how everythings goes together and works. I also recommend any tamiya car because of the excellent and easy to follow instructions. the diagrams are very helpful too.
all you's need is a hex screw driver medium and small, available at any lhs.
Tamiya kits go together perfectly so when parts don't fit exactly then you know that you are on the wrong track. also I think that the enjoyment of building the kit along with the anticipation of the completed cars is almost as much fun as running the car.

look around for the tao5 , iv'e seen these as low as $115 usd.
have fun!
wn
Can you get me a couple links to some that you recommend that are available currently for purchase? I'd like something pretty fast that can be driven on normal streets, parking lots, and driveways. If you can I would really appreciate it. I definately think I'm interested in building it now.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Default Hmmmm

I know you said on road but,
I think what would really be a great starter vehicle for you would be one of the 1/18th scale off road style mini-trucks that sell for around $150 to $175(RC18t) the come with everyting but batterys and charger and in some cases they come with those. They are fairly durable and you can run them in the street, a parking lot or an empty field. Almost all on-road cars require a well swept, prepared asphalt surface.

The cars people are suggesting to you are going to require a large committment of time and money to maintain and keep running.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Tree95z, what do you plan to do with this car? If it's just run around in a parking lot maybe you should consider a buggy or a stadium truck.

I find it funny that people are scared of kits, up until recent times everything was a kit, traxxas started this whole RTR craze.... Part of the hobby is building it, at least when you break something you'll know how it goes together already.