Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Electric dragster set up >

Electric dragster set up

Electric dragster set up

Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Electric dragster set up

Wanted some set up info on a simple brushed lipo 2s or 3s RJ dragster ,motor turns, esc, battery C value and mahs
Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

I run a 2 turn TOPS brushed a KO VFS 1200 esc 1200 amps.. with a Orion Black 5000mah 2 cell.100C..I have a 24" rj on this breaks 100 in 132 feet easy .. widen rear cutout for tire swell or youll shred them.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

delete

Last edited by Tamiyadan; 04-17-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

As far as the chassis goes, a good upgrade is to add the Parma rear pod (one piece) to help reduce the flex in the that area with the L brackets. As Tamiyadan said, lipos may not be a good choice for a brushed motor. It'll work and be a little quicker compared to similar voltage NICD but would wear the motor out quicker. And you would need a lipo capable charger. If your starting from nothing and looking to get more into it, then lipo and lipo charger might be something to think about so you don't have to buy stuff again. They do have inexpensive batteries and chargers that make the decision not about the $ (similar for both options).

https://parmapse.shptron.com/p/rear-...-goodtime-kits

Tamiyadan...I remember those days of training the batteries with the diy dischargers and micro switches. And tons of batteries! Those were the days.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rskoncepts View Post
As far as the chassis goes, a good upgrade is to add the Parma rear pod (one piece) to help reduce the flex in the that area with the L brackets. As Tamiyadan said, lipos may not be a good choice for a brushed motor. It'll work and be a little quicker compared to similar voltage NICD but would wear the motor out quicker. And you would need a lipo capable charger. If your starting from nothing and looking to get more into it, then lipo and lipo charger might be something to think about so you don't have to buy stuff again. They do have inexpensive batteries and chargers that make the decision not about the $ (similar for both options).

https://parmapse.shptron.com/p/rear-...-goodtime-kits

Tamiyadan...I remember those days of training the batteries with the diy dischargers and micro switches. And tons of batteries! Those were the days.
What is available today for a reasonable cost? This is just a fun project not trying to set the world on fire. The Orion 2S 5000 mah battery sounds like a good start now for a motor and esc
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There's a lot of inexpensive setups and everyone has their opinion. Castle Creations Sidewinder combos are inexpensive but use 4-pole motors (more torque) but you can calm it down with the esc settings (get a Castle Link). There's also the China brands that a lot run too. If you have guys in your area that you can talk to or just look around the forums for ideas. Good company support is important to me. Finding used is "buyer beware" so that's up to you. Another way to look at it is maybe something that you could use for something else also just in case you don't like drag racing. More questions just ask.

Battery choice should be good. Again, many opinions out there.