Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree219Likes

3racing Sakura FGX EVO

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Tech Initiate

From what I can tell the arms seem fine, although admittedly I haven't yet checked to see if the ball sockets have expanded or not - if they have they will also need to be replaced... Its the caster block which has disintegrated. You can see how little material there is where it sheared off, just barely 1mm and in some places even less! Seems like an oversight in an area bearing so much load, I would hate to see what happens to it if you took a decent hit from another car.

On the plus side, I shoved some 26mm wide TC foams (I have some 30mm 35/37 shore foams on order too) and it handled like an absolute dream, so if there is an answer either from 3racing themselves or in the form of an aftermarket solution to this I would be interesting in it for sure.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nice to see progress Billy. Glad you found the part. It's kind of dissapointing to hear how slow the chassis is with a 21.5 as that is what I have for the car. Friend of mine is trying a 15t brushed can motor in his. I'll get my first glimogl of it tomorrow night. I'm still a little excited to get my hands on one though.

Is that a low profile servo? Is it required for assembly or does a standard size servo fit?
Old 12-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Initiate

A low profile servo is mandatory, so much so in fact that the instructions explicitly tell you to sand down the top of the servo arm too, otherwise it rubs on the toplate.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Lord of Snails
Well well well...

I had read of durability concerns with the original, and of this new version. Thinking that it of course couldn't be as bad as people were saying...

First time out on carpet at my club, running sweet as anything with grip coming out my ears... When I kissed the side of the track at no more than 3-4 mph... Quite literally off throttle chilling around a very very tight and slow hairpin... The entire front suspension and arms rips right out.

I can't stress this enough; I barely touched it and it was at less than walking speed!

Is it the same place that yours ripped out CanadianRCs?

With durability like that there is absolutely no way this chassis is raceable even without overcoming the weight issues.

You can tell how little impact there was because there isn't a scratch (not even a scuff!) on the wing...

That is the exact part I broke! Same here I came of the straight and hit the barrier (not hard) and it busted. Not as bad as yours, but same part.
Lord of Snails likes this.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:39 AM
Tech Prophet

That’s not good to read about those breaks. And I’ve been let down by the aftermarket on far too many vehicles in the past few years to expect much. Especially on a limited appeal vehicle like this.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 AM
Tech Addict

Well, I've got my buddies FGX sitting in front of me. It's nicer than I thought it would be. I'm really digging the independent suspension on all four wheels. plastics feel like they are mostly carbon infused, lower chassis looks to be G10, or whatever it is called. i like the stiffeners for the front arms also. The included tires seem really nice for what we will do with them, super soft in the rear. The trans is a bit confusing though, the spur gear is TINY. He complained about how the diff goes together, it would not go together with the gasket installed so he left it out and used grease in there. He installed an older Trinity Speed Signature brushed motor in it. I was surprised to hear that the entire trans has to be adjusted for proper gear lash. Either way I'm excited to get my hands on one, looks like it might do better than the F104 in a parking lot situation.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

I had no issues building my diff, gasket went in fine. Granted I took extra time to sand everything flat - but again the amount of material I was taking off was extremely minimal. Really it was just about taking the high spots off from mould lines. Wonder if that is what could be causing his gasket to not going in properly? Its a job worth doing, as with planet diffs once you have them set up perfectly once - unless you want to change the oil to suite track conditions - you never have to touch them again (unlike the bloody ball diff in my GT12 that I have to mess about with every other race).
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

I'm going to take my time with once I get it. I don't think he has the patience.. lol
Lord of Snails likes this.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Ddt
Tech Initiate

I have run mine several times on a outdoor track. Front arms durability wasn't an issue as I bummed it couple times quite hardly and they were still intact. The upper deck broke when I spinned off at the straightaway but that's a high speed crash.

For the quality of the parts, I think they are okay in general. I replaced the plastic post near the motor mount with a metal one as the plastic part was totally unfit which made the upper deck tweak. I also added 40 grams weight at the nose to reduce the under steering.

Overall I like the independent suspension design over the direct drive. Perhaps the over weight problem is limiting it's potential competing with the others. But I think if more people buy this kind of design and more brands roll out their own, it will definitely become more competitive in the future.
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Agreed.

What do you run in the car motor/ESC wise? I'm curious about it's performance with a 21.5 Blinky system since I already have one for it.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 PM
Ddt
Tech Initiate

I run 13.5T turbo. The lap in general is faster than other 21.5T direct drive F1. I haven't utilized its full potential yet as the R1 rear tyres don't have enough grip for the 13.5 turbo at the straightaway in cool weather. But I think they should be okay if the temperature gets warmer.
Billy Kelly and Knockoffracer like this.

Last edited by Ddt; 12-31-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:47 AM
Tech Prophet

So I’ve been slow to finish the car. Just got sidetracked and other stuff. But trying to this week. How have you secured the body togethe? Just using double sided tape as they suggested?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
So I’ve been slow to finish the car. Just got sidetracked and other stuff. But trying to this week. How have you secured the body togethe? Just using double sided tape as they suggested?
I used shoegoo on my original fgx body, but that stuff messes up paint unless you seal the paint with an enamel. The double sided tape is probably the best way to secure the side pods. If you want some thin and very strong double sided tape get some carpet tape. That stuff is about as thick as a few sheets of paper.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:19 AM
Tech Initiate

My FGX EVO came with the pre-painted body and it looks like 3racing have used some sort of glue, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what it is.

Sorry thats not super helpful information, I just found it interesting how their choice of fixing the body together was different than the one they suggest in the manual.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How’s everyone’s experience with this kit? I’m really struggling with my Yokomo. Used to run Sakura touring car and found that pretty decent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.