TT-02S vs cheap Chinese belt drive >

TT-02S vs cheap Chinese belt drive

Like Tree14Likes

TT-02S vs cheap Chinese belt drive

Old 05-11-2018, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

Default TT-02S vs cheap Chinese belt drive

Hi,

I have raced my BSR BT-4 (cheap Chinese belt drive) for a season and it's not bad. Trouble is, spare parts are becoming rare and HK is not restocking. I just broke my rear damper tower last Sunday and I cannot buy a new one. I could source a TeamC TC10 one, but it will cost me half of the Chinese kit price. Bummer. I am now looking into making one myself from carbon plate. But that is not the point of this question. With spares becoming rare, I look at an alternative. Simply put, a new top brand chassis I cannot afford. So I could buy another cheap belt drive like Turnigy TD10 V2, but I fear that will not be supported next year and I'll be in the same boat. Now I have a Tamiya TT-02, which I could convert to a TT-02S. This will take some money to do, but I am pretty sure I'll be able to get spares for the next two decades.

As you might have imagined, I am not looking for a car that can win the world championship. I race seriously for fun, I have a mental handicap that slows my time-from-eye-to-hand, so mid-field is all I am aiming for. We run a small smooth tarmac outside track. 17.5 timed motors and 3.5 - 4 FDR.

Please feel free to advise. I am not looking at second hand cars, as I tried that before and usually getting the car into the shape I want costs more in spares than buying a new kit.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 05-11-2018, 03:24 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Hugo,

That's a good question. I think the BS4 is a great chassis because you can use all sort of other parts from other makers, but the issue is cost. I think the TT02 is a capable chassis with some simple upgrades to fluid shocks and driveshafts versus the dogbones that pop out every other lap. They make the TT02 as adjustable as any chassis with upgrades. I run a TT02, Sakura, and an Xray.. To be honest with tuning they can all run in the same range of times for me with my driving skill. I think for a better driver the Sakura would be a competitive chassis with anything out there when tuned correctly and driven well. Given Sakura has had chassis out there for a few years and are still innovating, I don't see them going away any time soon either. That might be a valid option for you as well.

Thanks,

John
Old 05-11-2018, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks, another option . Well, two, actually.The Turnigy TD10 supposedly is a marked down Sakura, so that would mean spares and upgrades shouldn't be difficult to come by nor break the bank... I just spent my lunch break looking for parts to get from a TT-02 to a type S with some upgrades, not cheap either. Hmmmm... choices, choices...

Hugo
Old 05-11-2018, 04:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I’m also using a a couple of BT4’s. There’s a thread here for it. A number of XRay T4 parts are compatible with it. There’s a list in the thread. I did by a 3rd as a spare parts vehicle. So far in 2 years of use, 1 race season and a lot of non race use.
Parts availability with the low budget touring cars is a bit of a risk.
Not familer with the other vehicle m mentioned.
Have you considered a Sakura? Parts do look to be usually available, though most are overseas.

Another option to consider is used. It’s possible to find the high end stuff, year or two old, for some very good deals.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I'm familiar with th BT-4 thread and the compatible parts, but I only seem to break the incompatible ones

BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit

Hugo
Old 05-11-2018, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My Blaze R2 is serving me well, though HobbyKing doesn't maintain stock very well. The Xceed XQ1S is probably the best option for a cheap competitive car and rcmart should support it fairly well. I think you'll be quite disappointed with a TT02S after using the BT-4.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Yeah, I'm familiar with th BT-4 thread and the compatible parts, but I only seem to break the incompatible ones

BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit

Hugo

ok. So far Iíve been good with mine. But I can see a change coming. The few upgrades Iíd like havenít been in stock in almost 2 years. Already got next car waiting. But Iíll run the BT4 for now.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

I also noted a lot of stuff is not available through TeamC, either, like my desired shock tower. And my 3D printed version didn't last...
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
I also noted a lot of stuff is not available through TeamC, either, like my desired shock tower. And my 3D printed version didn't last...
front looks to be available, but not the rear. Itís the motor mount/spur gear mount Iíd like to find.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thinking of an alternative? The Xpress XQ1S ... miles miles miles better than a TT02S. Can't see parts for this car disappearing anytime soon - it's support by the folks that bring you RCMart and Yeah Racing.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

The most established brand in regards of budget belt drive car will be 3racing. Their sakura lineup has been on the market for at least 8 years and parts are not that hard to find. TD10V2 is the rebranded sakura xi sport but HK seems to have no interest to restock the chassis in US warehouse.
BT4 itself isn't a bad car, which is basically a rebranded team c tr10 which is a stripped down copy of xray t4 (I dont know the model year though). In fact, several brands that produce the budget car from my home country copy the design of xray. CSO, Team c and rgt.
Xpress is good but I would not consider it as the brand is relatively new and they seem to have no idea about pricing. The flagship model is priced at the same range of those big names and the xq1s sport does not come with roll bar, a expensive parts cost at least 30 bucks.
longuylander likes this.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Xpress has been around since the 90's. Long before 3racing.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The TT02 is a good car, especially for novice, first time and/or casual racing. Agreed also w/ what someone else mentioned, that in the hands of an experienced driver and w/ the correct option parts it can be a competitive car. I purchased both a TT02 and a Spec R, for my two sons who are racing in our novice class. My older son is going into his 2nd season w/ the TT02 and my younger is just starting w/ the Spec R. Both cars handle and drive well. However I would choose the TT02 over the Spec R or any other $100 off branded car time and time again. For one simple reason, parts are easy to get for Tamiya products and they are very reasonably priced. The Spec R I regret purchasing. ...parts are near impossible to find. I've had to source parts from other manufacturers and make adjustments to fit. The TT02 is a great car to start with. (I recomment getting proper shocks, aluminum steering rack/assembly and center shaft drive. ...oh and if it doesn't come w/ them, bearings are a must). --its' been awhile don't recall if they kit comes w/ bearings or those metal washer things.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

I hear 3Racing has good parts support in EU, defiantly go with the new XI Sport NU, they redesigned the shock towers and includes swaybars,
The Hobbyking version TD10 is basically the same kit as the older XI Sport without the quality control ... very common are diff and shock problems, stay with a original 3racing kit.

Out of the box it will have everything you need to be competitive with the 17.5, and when ur ready upgrades are unlimited.
longuylander likes this.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post
Xpress has been around since the 90's. Long before 3racing.
My bad, but i really dont think xpress is what it used to be. Ownership has changed and seems like it hasnt announce new product gor quite a long time till xq1 series.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.