Like Tree14Likes

TT-02S vs cheap Chinese belt drive

Old 05-12-2018, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

So, this would be the safe choice:
3Racing Sakura XI Sport Ver.NU 1/10 Touring Car Kit #KIT-XS/NU,

But after shipping this is a similar price:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Alloy...578995817.html

This seems not to be kit based but just built from upgrade parts, which isn't necessarely a bad thing. I read it doesn't come with a manual, but if that's the only draw-back, I think it's a good choice. What do you think?

Cheers,

Hugo
kufman likes this.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're to pick between the 2, the 3racing over that no brand with alum arms. You're going to have an interesting time with parts. My vote still goes for the XQ1S. I put mine on the track last night, 13.5T blinky and it was a blast!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've found 3Racing parts to be mis-matched and not very precision. Granted we are talking about a $100 kit, ...but owning both a TT02 and a cheap belt driven kit, I would time and time again select the TT02. The TT02 works, parts are easy to get and cheap which all leads to zero frustration. In fact my TT02 performs much better than my cheap belt driven car (its a Spec R S2). The TT02 just needs a few key upgrades to be pretty good.

Definitely stay away from that Aliexpress car.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

What did you do to the TT-02 to make is pretty good? Is it a Type S?

Thanks,

Hugo
Old 05-15-2018, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

The TT02 typeS is a very competent entry level racer. As mentioned the spares support is much better than the other brands. (In the U.K. its only Tamiya out of those brands that ave domestic support)
Old 05-15-2018, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
What did you do to the TT-02 to make is pretty good? Is it a Type S?

Thanks,

Hugo
I think the primary upgrades are fluid shocks, metal universal joints and cups, adjustable motor mount so you can run whatever gearing you need to for your track, and adjustable turnbuckles so you can tune it in. I've been very careful with my TT02 to not get too far away from stock as we are supposed to have some TT02 races around my area locally centered around the kit that comes with esc and brushed motor, but I can tell you the shock and universal joint upgrades along were big for me.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I've found 3Racing parts to be mis-matched and not very precision. Granted we are talking about a $100 kit, ...but owning both a TT02 and a cheap belt driven kit, I would time and time again select the TT02...
Please elaborate, I want to know more about the mis-matched parts of low quality from 3Racing.

Are we talking about playing in your driveway with the TT02 or club racing, sorry but im lost how a TT02 would be a better choice then a XI SPORT NU for club racing, the XI is from the ground up a club racer with all the features of a modern TC, the TT02 is nothing more then a entry level toy.
longuylander likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

I would like to find someone with experience with the TT-02 Type S, because that comes with completely different suspension than the regular TT-02. That in my view changes it from an entry level toy to, well, what exactly?

Hugo
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A slightly more adjustable TT02 that's still an entry level car. A critical part of setup, droop, cannot be set in a TT02 Type-S without further upgrades. That's a deal breaker. The stock tamiya plastics are also very flexible. To make the car competitive, you'll be dropping $$$ on alum upgrades.
There's a page with really good information about the TT02 here - https://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/t...-and-tips.html
But in end, you'll still be spending money on upgrading the car. Parts availability for Tamiyas - can still be an issue. I've got a back order for TB03 parts, which are still being used in modern cars, for months now.

The Xpress XQ1S is based on a top level racing chassis that competes against your Xrays, Yokomos, Awesomatix with 95% parts compatibility (only the motor mount is different). By the time you've spent money on upgrading a TT02 to make it competitive, you'll have bought 2 XQ1S's.

I've owned a TT02. Built it and never ran it - sold it straight away. That thing is a entry level in every sense. I'm not sponsored. I've owned a Tamiya TT02 and 3Racing on-roads, I still own an XQ1 and XQ1S. Note my bold on owned. Not dissing Tamiya's because there's a place and market for it. The body shell are the main selling point of the lower level Tamiyas and I still own my TB Evo 6, 7 and TB03 and plan to buy an TB05.

In the end, buy what you want.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

My 2c here which may or may not be useful. I have a couple of TT02B buggies which my 5yo son and I run around the backyard. They are awesome for this, well built, pretty robust, spares are cheap and easy to find. They aren't racers in any sense of the word. I have tried them at a track and they were horrible. I race Kyosho Ultima and Lazer which are so far more advanced they shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph.

i also race a TA07 indoors in 21.5T blinky and am struggling against carbon cars but working on it. I was really impressed with the TA07 quality and build and it has all the adjustment that you need. Its very close to the race level kits other than the chassis is FRP and not carbon fibre or aluminium.. I'm sure in more capable hands than mine it would be competitive, I'm just struggling. I run an F1 at the same club and am comfortably mid pack after 3 meets, but near the back with the TA07 so I think I would be better with a different car.

I have checked out the Express XQ1S and that would be my pick if I was buying an entry level racer again, even though I love Tamiyas from BITD when my Boomerang was the best thing around (lets face it, RC peaked with the Boomerang right?). I am really impressed with the XQ1S, especially at the price point. Its a very stiff chassis, the quality is excellent and the shocks despite being plastic bodies have a very nice action. Its also about US100 I think which is amazing value for money.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I run a TT-02 and originally ran a TT-01, best part about the TT series is the parts are always in Stock with at least 1 online hobby shop, the TT-02 has a TON of upgrades to make them very competitive without spending tons of money and very durable for those every so often crashes into a curb or whatever. My car is very attrached to curbs lol.

i run a 3.5t motor, 48p spur and pinion and very good esc, my 02 is my drag car and most people under estimate it because its a Tamiya TT-02. Fun car and if you go that route you wont be sorry
Old 05-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have to put a vote in for the Sakura Si Sport. I added maybe $75 worth of parts and it is a very competitive car. I upgraded the shocks and the lower bulk heads but the rest of the car is pretty nice for the price. Lots of upgrade potential if needed and a couple US sources for parts support.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the input. I am not posting much but I do read along. In the meantime things changed a little. I joined a new club this year as we are moving house about 60 miles south. I wasn't there very often but last thursday I joined a practice session with my hurt BT-4. I quickly left the track as my printed parts didn't last, but I noticed some guys running a car I didn't know. Turnes out it is a Team Magic car, brand I didn't know but it's pretty decent stuff. After shipment and taxes for a 99 dollar car it is about the same price, and one of the club members sells them and holds a little stock of parts. So when in Rome (learn to speak with your hands...), do as the Romans; I ordered the chassis. It's this one:

Team Magic E4JS II

Some folks race it right out of the box, all parts are good enough. Of course upgrading can be done but it seems good enough to get me started and I like the fact that there is proper local parts support.

Hugo
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Thanks for all the input. I am not posting much but I do read along. In the meantime things changed a little. I joined a new club this year as we are moving house about 60 miles south. I wasn't there very often but last thursday I joined a practice session with my hurt BT-4. I quickly left the track as my printed parts didn't last, but I noticed some guys running a car I didn't know. Turnes out it is a Team Magic car, brand I didn't know but it's pretty decent stuff. After shipment and taxes for a 99 dollar car it is about the same price, and one of the club members sells them and holds a little stock of parts. So when in Rome (learn to speak with your hands...), do as the Romans; I ordered the chassis. It's this one:

Team Magic E4JS II

Some folks race it right out of the box, all parts are good enough. Of course upgrading can be done but it seems good enough to get me started and I like the fact that there is proper local parts support.

Hugo
Similar product to the Sakura except the Magic has some carbon parts. If you can get them and have a source of parts, go for it!
Billy Kelly and gigaplex like this.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Similar product to the Sakura except the Magic has some carbon parts. If you can get them and have a source of parts, go for it!
Yep, fiberglass chassis and shock towers with carbon fiber print

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.