Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1141Likes

Can-Am RC Series

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-27-2018, 10:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Can-Am RC Series
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Joe Kimble
Cheaters Suck.
MOTOR OF MONTH NO MORE!!!
3.5mm MALE bullet connectors are REQUIRED
at all CanAm races

CanAm Motor & Transmission Specs
USGT
ORCA------------4.40min FDR Indoors-------------169g

STOCK TC
TEAM POWERS------5.40 min FDR Indoors-----------------173g

SUPER STOCK TC
SCORPION-----6.20 min FDR Indoor--------------------170g

CanAm Stock 1/12th
TEAM SCREAM-------------OPEN-----------------------160g

CanAm Super Stock 1/12th
TEAM SCREAM-----------35T/88T-----------------------160g

CanAm F1
SCORPION-----------------28T/92T-----------------------170g

CanAm WGTR
ORCA---------------------36T/92T-----------------------169g

TC/USGT Likely Spur/Pinion Combinations
USGT
1.7 Internal
96/37 => 4.411 FDR
101/39 => 4.403 FDR

1.80 Internal
93/38 => 4.405 FDR
98/40 => 4.410 FDR

1.85 Internal
100/42 => 4.405 FDR

1.9 Internal
95/41 => 4.402 FDR
102/44 => 4.405 FDR

2.0 Internal
99/45 => 4.400 FDR

STOCK TC INDOOR
1.7 Internal
102/32 => 5.419 FDR
105/33 => 5.409 FDR
108/34 => 5.400 FDR

1.80 Internal
99/33 => 5.400FDR
102/34 => 5
.400 FDR
105/35 => 5
.400 FDR
108/36 => 5
.400 FDR
111/37 => 5
.400 FDR

1.85 Internal
108/37 => 5.400 FDR
111/38 => 5.404 FDR
114/39 => 5.408 FDR

1.9 Internal
108/38 => 5.400 FDR
111/39 => 5.408 FDR

2.0 Internal
92/34 => 5.412 FDR
100/37 => 5.405 FDR
108/40 => 5.400 FDR

SUPER STOCK TC INDOOR
1.7 Internal

106/29 => 6.214 FDR
110/30 => 6.233 FDR

1.80 Internal
100/29 => 6.207 FDR
107/31 => 6.213 FDR
114/33 => 6.218 FDR

1.85 Internal
104/31 => 6.206 FDR
114/34 => 6.203 FDR

1.9 Internal
98/30 => 6.207 FDR
108/33 => 6.218 FDR
111/34 => 6.203 FDR

2.0 Internal
112/36 => 6.222 FDR

NB: Serpent Project 4X was checked and due to the O.D. of the center pulley the internal is not exactly 2.000. Testing revealed it is closer to 2.005. For Serpent Cars ONLY, the drivers who wish to be as close as possible to the Minimum FDR can use the following spur/pinion combinations: SS TC => 99/32; Stock TC => 97/36; USGT => 101/46.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
The Indoor Champs are using this rule this year due to the power outages we had last year.
How do they plan to enforce it?

I still say if there was going to be a battery war we would already be having it.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
I still say if there was going to be a battery war we would already be having it.
There has never not been a battery war in electric "stock" racing....or a bearing war....or a light weight rotating component war....
Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

When one door closes another one opens. And yet I still agree with the concept except for the vague references about banning sub standard parts.
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So, if I understand correctly, we as a racers are willing to go out and spend $700+ on a kit plus all the extra stuff. Buy 3 of the same body every other week so we can mount it 5mm forward, or back, or whatever, multiple sets of tires for a 3 day race, $100 servos, $150+ esc’s, $100+ battery packs every few weeks (why? who does this? Doesn’t seem necessary. I don’t, but some on this thread have admitted to such), $400 on a charger/discharge set up, $150 on a mass produced machined aluminum set up station, (yes I know 1 time purchase, but it’s way overpriced) $100’s on other tools and pit stuff, pay over a $100 per class, and run mutple classes at big events, pay for the travel and everything else involved, but... buying the “hot” is just too much? So we try and reinvent the wheel?

i have a question. Has anyone actually proven any of these “cheater” motors are actually that? Cheater motors? Are any these motors actually below the minimum IR rating set by ROAR? Yes I understand they may be below what was originally submitted, but if not below the minimum for that wind, if the wire size is the legal size, and the motor meets all the other technical specs set, why is it a “cheater” motor? Because you got beat by it? Because there is no way anyone beat you unless they were cheating?

Dont think for one minute that if this takes hold, there won’t be someone out there that will reprogram an ESC to be in “blinky”, butbhave just enough timing/boost to give that little extra. Not so much that it’s truly noticeable, but it will be there. I’m actually surprised that this isn’t already out there. So what happens then? Hand out ESC’s at every event? Then charged handout batteries every round?

Yes some of that seems extreme, but it’s a rabbit hole, once you start down it, you never know where it ends.
DARKSIDE and Gravity Dodger like this.

Last edited by theproffesor; 06-15-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How do they plan to enforce it?

This was posted on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/USIndoorChamps/?hc_ref=ARTlIQN8cULrbl_ncgozgmywiDrFHck38grNBKOlmr31eDTbTedDW-ncXqCuq_Oacz4&fref=nf
· In light of recent post on FB and passed concerns from previous years we would like to remind everybody of the following ROAR rules regarding LIPO, In addition to this we will be looking at putting in-line surge protection in the outlet boxes we provide, certain tables with a tendency to overcharge will have to deal with the problem among themselves rather than take down multiple tables.....

8.3.2.5.4 Maximum temperature for a charged li-poly battery pack shall be ambient
temperature +/- 5 deg..
8.3.2.5.5 The use of heating devices of any type to heat a li-poly battery is strictly prohibited.
8.3.2.5.6 The use of cooling device and or freeze sprays of any type to cool a li-poly battery is
strictly prohibited.
8.3.2.5.7 Overcharging/Overheating is defined as but not limited to the following:
 Charging of a li-poly battery with a charge profile other than CC/CV (i.e.
NiCad/NiMh)
 Charging at a charge rate higher than 1C
 Charged battery voltage exceeding the max charge voltage per 8.3.2.5.2,
 Heating of the li-poly battery beyond the max. charged temp and or the use of
cooling devices to cool an overheated battery per 8.3.2.5.4., 8.3.2.5.5. and
Overcharging/Overheating will not be tolerated per section 5.13.10
Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
So, if I understand correctly, we as a racers are willing to go out and spend $700+ on a kit plus all the extra stuff. Buy 3 of the same body every other week so we can mount it 5mm forward, or back, or whatever, multiple sets of tires for a 3 day race, $100 servos, $150+ esc’s, $100+ battery packs every few weeks (why? who does this? Doesn’t seem necessary. I don’t, but some on this thread have admitted to such), $400 on a charger/discharge set up, $150 on a mass produced machined aluminum set up station, (yes I know 1 time purchase, but it’s way overpriced) $100’s on other tools and pit stuff, pay over a $100 per class, and run mutple classes at big events, pay for the travel and everything else involved, but... buying the “hot” is just too much? So we try and reinvent the wheel?

i have a question. Has anyone actually proven any of these “cheater” motors are actually that? Cheater motors? Are any these motors actually below the minimum IR rating set by ROAR? Yes I understand they may be below what was originally submitted, but if not below the minimum for that wind, if the wire size is the legal size, and the motor meets all the other technical specs set, why is it a “cheater” motor? Because you got beat by it? Because there is no way anyone beat you unless they were cheating?

Dont think for one minute that if this takes hold, there won’t be someone out there that will reprogram an ESC to be in “blinky”, butbhave just enough timing/boost to give that little extra. Not so much that it’s truly noticeable, but it will be there. I’m surprised that this isn’t already out there.
Yes trinity has been factory installing larger wire since 9/17 in there Mmax 17.5 and most recently we have received motors with ir 16.9 strait out of the box ... Several guys at roar nationals had new motors that didnt pass tech .
As said anyone that races at there big races (unless your in your own world) has heard about this . one company started this and 2 others have starting doing it as well ... Roar hasnt done anything to stop it ... So whats the next thing someone will do (cheating) to gain the edge? Thats why this (can-am)is happening .
Maybe someone else will comment with more info on this situation
Xpress likes this.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:45 AM
Tech Lord

You didn't answer my question, how will the 1C charge limit rule be enforced?
Old 06-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So the question is, outside of a “ROAR” event, why didn’t the promotors of the the other “big” races simply ban these known cheater motors from the event? Those are all private events so there should be no legal issue from them saying, sorry you can’t play.

If the snowbirds, Reedy, IIC, and other events bared a manufacturer from that event, I think the message would be loud and clear. And if local tracks did the same, manufacturers would keep to the rules. It seems as though they have pushed the issue aside for fear of losing money.

I applaud the attempt to hold ROAR and motor manufacturers to account. I am just not on board with handouts at the club level and am disheartened that something hasn’t been done by those that truly have the power to do so.

the other question is, If ROAR can’t or won’t enforce its own rules, what purpose do they serve?
jlfx car audio and DARKSIDE like this.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So the question is, outside of a “ROAR” event, why didn’t the promotors of the the other “big” races simply ban these known cheater motors from the event? Those are all private events so there should be no legal issue from them saying, sorry you can’t play.

If the snowbirds, Reedy, IIC, and other events bared a manufacturer from that event, I think the message would be loud and clear. And if local tracks did the same, manufacturers would keep to the rules. It seems as though they have pushed the issue aside for fear of losing money.

I applaud the attempt to hold ROAR and motor manufacturers to account. I am just not on board with handouts at the club level and am disheartened that something hasn’t been done by those that truly have the power to do so.

the other question is, If ROAR can’t or won’t enforce its own rules, what purpose do they serve?
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dont think for one minute that if this takes hold, there won’t be someone out there that will reprogram an ESC to be in “blinky”, butbhave just enough timing/boost to give that little extra. Not so much that it’s truly noticeable, but it will be there. I’m actually surprised that this isn’t already out there. So what happens then? Hand out ESC’s at every event? Then charged handout batteries every round?

Yes some of that seems extreme, but it’s a rabbit hole, once you start down it, you never know where it ends.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

good question . im sure just like in anything else .lets say USIC (not that they have/will) decides to not allow trinity monster max, fantom fr3, tsr 2.0 , r1 v16. now EVERY racer attending has to buy a motor at a premium price to attend that event . not to say some will not try to install stators from one of the banned motors into there mclain or kill shot or whatever. just opens up a new can of worms and cheater tricks ...
where as if they just offer a handout motor its saves everyone the hastle of rounding up a competative motor. and noone can cheat with the handout motor .
yes some will begin to find a cheat in the esc (as im hearing some already have with one brand ,but not proven as of yet) but that can be checked for almost as easily as anything else (if they are checked )
Old 06-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Tech Lord

ROAR writes the rules. That's all they do. That's all they can do, since being beaten into submission by the "ROAR Sucks" campaign of the last 20 years.

The last time ROAR tried to enforce the motor rules, they got sued. Or I should say, everyone who races RC got sued, Every track in the US runs ROAR rules, with only slight changes to meet what the racers want. You cannot separate ROAR from the rest of the RC racing community. To do so, you create a straw man argument. You may feel good about attacking the straw man, but in the end you've accomplished nothing.

It's not up to ROAR to enforce the rules. It's up to the racers to enforce the rules.
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

You didn't answer my question, how will the 1C charge limit rule be enforced?
I don't know how the charge rate will be enforced. The only benefit to the high current dump/recharge is heat...not the cycle itself. It seems as thought the +/- over ambient will go a long way towards eliminating the need for a high amp charge (other than decreased charge time).
Old 06-15-2018, 07:54 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Did someone say there's never been a "battery war in stock racing"? I think you better look back to the days prior to Lipo batteries. Constantly changing technology, constant increasing of capacities, constantly improved IR's, batteries matched to the thousandths of a volt, battery zappers, and there were A LOT of matchers out there in the game....what exactly would you call that? In fact I needed help from the likes of Richie King (Dillon Racing), Jeff at Pro-Match Racing and EA Motorsports. Their support over the years was a blessing because it certainly felt like a war to me.

Don't fool yourself into thinking we've escaped that mentality. Today - SHV pack, low profile packs, graphene packs, new packs touted as "the lowest IR's seen yet", i-chargers, 40amp discharging, battery warmers....and the list goes on. If we're all running equal motors, then I need that initial punch in the main to get me either out front or up to the front if I'm starting a little further back in the field. Sure, the punch may level off, but getting me out in front of the field will be critical. You shut down the motors, which I do believe has place in this hobby, the other pieces to the puzzle will become the next issues. To some degree the Can-Am series and its' possible success, especially at big events will impact the revenues of some motor producing companies and this will primarily extend to lost sales after the event as well. Because now they won't be able to tout Brand X won at a certain event or dominated the make-up of the A-Main field. It will also minimize available overall sponsorship dollars for larger events, and I would tend to believe that money is already getting harder to come by. With that said, some of those companies will begin to look for other avenues to replace their lost motor revenue. They will find it....they always do.

Last edited by ASM; 06-15-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

6000lcg and a 5.5 here I come....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.