Any modern TC with a front differential or one-way

Like Tree9Likes

Any modern TC with a front differential or one-way

Old 04-28-2018, 05:16 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Any modern TC with a front differential or one-way

Coming back after a 10+ year hiatus....so much have changed especially the electronics.

Found most modern TC comes with rear diff gears and front spool. Probably works well with low turns motors but thinking of going into 17.5t or even 21.5t class on a rather big outdoor track.
Started thinking a standard diff or front one-way might work better but there don't seemed to be any new TC that offers that! Anyone knows if there any still around?
LzREngineering likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey rko

I can't think of any super modern race spec TC that comes with front diff or one-way as standard, even for the 17.5T or 21.5T classes. The Tamiya TT02 comes with front and rear diff but they're a different class of car! Are you checking out Urban Playspace??
Old 04-28-2018, 05:22 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
Hey rko

I can't think of any super modern race spec TC that comes with front diff or one-way as standard, even for the 17.5T or 21.5T classes. The Tamiya TT02 comes with front and rear diff but they're a different class of car! Are you checking out Urban Playspace??
Currently based in Oz. But i did checked out Urban PlaySpace while back in SG for holidays
Old 04-28-2018, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Basically every modern car comes with a front spool these days, but usually you should be able to get another set of rear diff and it should also fit in front (although they're most commonly used with extremely thick oils between 100k and 2.5M - so by far not as much diff action going on as in the rear - or way back when we had ball diffs all around) One-way-Diffs aren't even available for most cars nowadays, and in some classes (USVTA) they're even illegal, so this chapter of RC History can probably be considered closed for good.
eR1c likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
Basically every modern car comes with a front spool these days, but usually you should be able to get another set of rear diff and it should also fit in front (although they're most commonly used with extremely thick oils between 100k and 2.5M - so by far not as much diff action going on as in the rear - or way back when we had ball diffs all around) One-way-Diffs aren't even available for most cars nowadays, and in some classes (USVTA) they're even illegal, so this chapter of RC History can probably be considered closed for good.
thats really sad and imo, its like taking 1 step forward 2 steps back. The newer cars have so many crazy minute adjustments going on but yet left out a basic front diff option.
Or perhaps the newer motors are so crazy fast that the manufacturers deemed spool works better? I just saw a 21.5t race and ohmy, they are as fast or even faster than the old 23t brushed stock.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Don't knock it until you've tried it. Front spool and DCJs up front work best the vast majority of the time. You can always buy another rear gear diff to put in the front. Works on most cars, but not all.
eR1c likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

WHY? Spools are proven. That's why front diffs are gone--if they worked as good or better--they'd still be offering them.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Back in the year 2000, my chassis only came with gear diffs and a one-way was an option. Then I bought the top of the line kit and it came with double one-ways and a rear aluminum diff set up. Good thing for me is that I can still take the latest kit of mine (2017) and install a one-way from a kit dating back to 2000-2001.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

I don't remember any gear diffs back then in 2000/2001, other than the greased Tamiya ones. Standard, at least as I recall it, used to be ball diff front and back, with some cars offering front one-ways either as kit or tuning option. Today's cars, with their high-power brushless systems, are pretty much designed with the front spool in mind. Only in a few scenarios (usually low grip, lower powered stock classes, etc.) some people seem to prefer a front (gear) diff, but most people use spools and do very well. Times have changed, go ahead and try.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i read somewhere awhile back that one ways were not allowed at many major events, said something about the drastic differences in driving styles it creates vs spool drivers braking into turns and acceleration differences.

i have run in the past front oneways on two different 4wd 1/10 buggies, they used to fail alot but i still ran them. i tried one instead of a ball diff on a TC3 around 2004. in the buggies it gave the feel of a 2wd on straights and when braking into turns since only rear tires grab, came into play at lower speeds when front steering was needed out of turns. on my TC3 since TC tracks could be rather subpar, outside, lacking prep with a possible blow off only i ended up going back to front ball diff. i tried a oneway again when a carpet track opened. was rather brutal on front end parts due to the insta snap you get with a one way, ended up back with front ball diff. with todays brushless motors, i would not imagine a one way being reliable
Old 04-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
I don't remember any gear diffs back then in 2000/2001, other than the greased Tamiya ones. Standard, at least as I recall it, used to be ball diff front and back, with some cars offering front one-ways either as kit or tuning option. Today's cars, with their high-power brushless systems, are pretty much designed with the front spool in mind. Only in a few scenarios (usually low grip, lower powered stock classes, etc.) some people seem to prefer a front (gear) diff, but most people use spools and do very well. Times have changed, go ahead and try.
My TAMIYA TA04-S came with front and rear gear diffs. Gears where metal with a plastic housing. My TAMIYA TRF414 came with double one-way with rear diff.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoeyE View Post
My TAMIYA TA04-S came with front and rear gear diffs. Gears where metal with a plastic housing. My TAMIYA TRF414 came with double one-way with rear diff.
See, like I said: Tamiya. But a simple, non-sealed diff with greased gears (at least per manual), not quite like the silicone oil filled ones of today. Tamiya had used these for many years earlier, but that design, as of that of pretty much all Tamiya cars wasn't exactly considered race-worthy back then. I turned my back at Tamiya after the TA03 (TRF).

Of course all that changed with the famous 404/414 design, with which they started kicking some major ass - but that car was rarer than unicorns over here - so I'd consider it more an exotic than an average car of that time. Thinking back at the Corallys, Yokomos, HPIs, Associateds, etc. I saw around me, I cannot remember (though I might be wrong) any of them coming with gear diffs. One-ways were available as options for most cars, as I recall, but people here weren't all that excited about them, since braking got very hairy, so most stuck to (ball) diffs all around. I still have a working one-way diff for my Yokomo SD SSG from 2003 - in fact I have all options (well, except a gear diff) for that car: spool, one-way and ball diff). Haven't driven it for 10+ years though, but as soon as get some Lipo holder 3D-printed, I'm lokking forward to seeing how much life that vintage RC still has left (of course only for lower power, slow class, VTA-like).
Old 04-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Started using a front spool in my TC4 way back, been running front spool exclusively since then, and that's when oneways were still available, horrible things oneways
Old 04-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rko View Post
Coming back after a 10+ year hiatus....so much have changed especially the electronics.

Found most modern TC comes with rear diff gears and front spool. Probably works well with low turns motors but thinking of going into 17.5t or even 21.5t class on a rather big outdoor track.
Started thinking a standard diff or front one-way might work better but there don't seemed to be any new TC that offers that! Anyone knows if there any still around?
If you want to try a oneway in a current car, buy a Tamiya trf419x and buy the ta07 front oneway put it in and give it a try, or just buy a ta07r and put a oneway in it to try.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

in 2000 Losi xxxs and ae b44 both had 1 way and front diffs.. also the mrc vb2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.