Like Tree11Likes

Any modern TC with a front differential or one-way

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by DirkW
See, like I said: Tamiya. But a simple, non-sealed diff with greased gears (at least per manual), not quite like the silicone oil filled ones of today. Tamiya had used these for many years earlier, but that design, as of that of pretty much all Tamiya cars wasn't exactly considered race-worthy back then. I turned my back at Tamiya after the TA03 (TRF).

Of course all that changed with the famous 404/414 design, with which they started kicking some major ass - but that car was rarer than unicorns over here - so I'd consider it more an exotic than an average car of that time. Thinking back at the Corallys, Yokomos, HPIs, Associateds, etc. I saw around me, I cannot remember (though I might be wrong) any of them coming with gear diffs. One-ways were available as options for most cars, as I recall, but people here weren't all that excited about them, since braking got very hairy, so most stuck to (ball) diffs all around. I still have a working one-way diff for my Yokomo SD SSG from 2003 - in fact I have all options (well, except a gear diff) for that car: spool, one-way and ball diff). Haven't driven it for 10+ years though, but as soon as get some Lipo holder 3D-printed, I'm lokking forward to seeing how much life that vintage RC still has left (of course only for lower power, slow class, VTA-like).
I have a lot of unicorns
Old 04-28-2018, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
If you want to try a oneway in a current car, buy a Tamiya trf419x and buy the ta07 front oneway put it in and give it a try, or just buy a ta07r and put a oneway in it to try.
snopro31 is right~! So if you buy the TA07 Pro, you can buy the front one-way and the rear ball diff~!

One-way Tamiya (54726)
Ball Diff Tamiya (54689)
TA07 Pro Kit Tamiya (58636)

...sorry, bored at work and no one to chat with besides these forums, hahah
rko likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
in 2000 Losi xxxs and ae b44 both had 1 way and front diffs.. also the mrc vb2
So did the TRF TA03R, I believe - the TA03R-S did for sure.

But B44? The buggy? Thought we were talking touring cars here?

Anyway, I can understand the OP for being a little surprised after the long break from the hobby, from when one was used to cars coming with ball diff /one-way in front and ball diff (mostly ) in the back, to now with spools front and gear diff in the back. But wait until you discover 2.4GHz radios, brushless systems and lipos, if the drivetrain already amazes you...
Old 04-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

I'm still running an old xray with front one way, won the winter club championship in the lower 17.5T blinky class. It's so much more rewarding to drive and can be extremely quick when you get it right. I guess they fell out of favour cos you just cant hammer on the controls and expect the car to stay on line, also the lack of front brakes is no good for modern day mod speeds on tracks with hairpins. After all, 1/8th scale cars still run front one ways and rear spools and they are very quick.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 PM
rko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
i read somewhere awhile back that one ways were not allowed at many major events, said something about the drastic differences in driving styles it creates vs spool drivers braking into turns and acceleration differences.

i have run in the past front oneways on two different 4wd 1/10 buggies, they used to fail alot but i still ran them. i tried one instead of a ball diff on a TC3 around 2004. in the buggies it gave the feel of a 2wd on straights and when braking into turns since only rear tires grab, came into play at lower speeds when front steering was needed out of turns. on my TC3 since TC tracks could be rather subpar, outside, lacking prep with a possible blow off only i ended up going back to front ball diff. i tried a oneway again when a carpet track opened. was rather brutal on front end parts due to the insta snap you get with a one way, ended up back with front ball diff. with todays brushless motors, i would not imagine a one way being reliable
I can imagine the differences and mayhem it will caused. Coming from the original Mini-Z and 12th scale, i cant say i pushed the trigger much back then if any.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:09 PM
rko
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JoeyE
snopro31 is right~! So if you buy the TA07 Pro, you can buy the front one-way and the rear ball diff~!

One-way Tamiya (54726)
Ball Diff Tamiya (54689)
TA07 Pro Kit Tamiya (58636)

...sorry, bored at work and no one to chat with besides these forums, hahah
Thank you very much!!!!! This looks like a kit i'm after!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja
-if they worked as good or better--they'd still be offering them.
I've never agreed with this type of logic. Not specifically in relation to spools but just in general. Many times it's a flawed perspective.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

I prefer front diffs instead of spools , I think the spools are in kits so its cheaper for them not better for you.
I think I'm in the minority on that .
Isaac likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I find that hard to believe. Tamiya kits come with diffs at both ends, unless you get an advanced kit. Then sometimes, they come with a spool. In the case of the TA07, the pro comes with two diffs, the R comes with a spool and a diff.

Spools also require more expensive outdrives and drive shafts.

Now, I am also in the group that believe diffs at both ends is "faster". I believe the spool obsession is for "simplicity" and "stability" as opposed to outright performance.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

In the past I ran an Xray T4 14 with the Xray 3-way diff up front and the car was ballistic. This diff gave you the option of making it a one-way or a spool, or a hybrid of both. This was on a very large and open asphalt track. You certainly have to adjust your driving style. It's worth a look if you can find the diff.
LzREngineering likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

...most TC cars will allow you to install a diff up front if you want, -its not really a bid deal to do so.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja
WHY? Spools are proven. That's why front diffs are gone--if they worked as good or better--they'd still be offering them.
I've proven, if only to myself, that running a front diff works, tried spools several times and always went back to the front diff....so although most use a spool not every driving style works with a spool. Then you can consider what feels best to the driver.

To the O.P.: I say run a diff up front and see if you like it, you can fit a rear diff to the front of most major brands of cars.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Back in early 2000's, Some big events required four wheel braking so out went the one way. It made for fewer wrecks and better racing as drivers were able to slow the cars down without unsettling the car. With todays cars, the geometry is so much better, a one way isn't needed or even offered. I like the spool/diff better as it forced you to use your brakes for certain track layouts.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:03 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ASM
In the past I ran an Xray T4 14 with the Xray 3-way diff up front and the car was ballistic. This diff gave you the option of making it a one-way or a spool, or a hybrid of both. This was on a very large and open asphalt track. You certainly have to adjust your driving style. It's worth a look if you can find the diff.
Used to run the Xray EVO2 FOC where even the center spur can be adjusted. Great times coming from a pan car
ASM likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:28 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rko
Used to run the Xray EVO2 FOC where even the center spur can be adjusted. Great times coming from a pan car
Yes, I was trying to remember which car I ran that had the adjustable center pulley and you're right, I think it was an xray. Good call!

The multi-diff worked well because you could simply pin it to go from a one-way to a spool. It was very innovative.