Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Need Touring Car advice >

Need Touring Car advice

Like Tree19Likes

Need Touring Car advice

Old 06-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I run a TRF 419xr in mod and it's just as competitive as any of the X-rays, ARCs, Associateds, etc. that are being run. I think the bigger question is parts availability for you and access to other racers if you have setup questions about your car. I'm the only one running a Tamiya at my club so it's hard to get any setup advice outside of just trying it yourself.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kelseyrc View Post
I run a TRF 419xr in mod and it's just as competitive as any of the X-rays, ARCs, Associateds, etc. that are being run. I think the bigger question is parts availability for you and access to other racers if you have setup questions about your car. I'm the only one running a Tamiya at my club so it's hard to get any setup advice outside of just trying it yourself.
Yes that is more along the lines of what I mean about Tamiya not being quite as competitive. Those sort of situations make a difference. Don't get me wrong... I love my TRF419XR; I'm also the only one at my tracks that run it.
airbiscuit likes this.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Yes that is more along the lines of what I mean about Tamiya not being quite as competitive. Those sort of situations make a difference. Don't get me wrong... I love my TRF419XR; I'm also the only one at my tracks that run it.
Totaly agree! I think that any modern chassis is capable of competing. They are mostly all similar (except for the occasional radical chassis such as the Serpent 4x or the Gizmo GZ2) so I think if you pick a brand and stick with it you can't really go wrong.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Tamiya is not quite as competitive as it used to be. The big brands these days are:
Xray
Team Associated
Yokomo
Mugen
Infinity
Serpent
Awesomatix

If you want to have great part support and tons of help, Xray is the way to go... even if you get a generation back or two.
Wooooooooooow. Xray and Team Associated were big dogs when I left. Looks like the stuck it out. I remember Yokomo, but they didn't have much presence in The States. Mugen and Serpent were only making gas cars if I remember correctly. I haven't heard anyone so much as mention Team Losi yet. I'm assuming that they're in the same boat as HPI. The Awesomatix car looks like a spaceship and a touring car had a baby. There's a lot going on in the hobby right now, LOL.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by We Are Ninja View Post
Wooooooooooow. Xray and Team Associated were big dogs when I left. Looks like the stuck it out. I remember Yokomo, but they didn't have much presence in The States. Mugen and Serpent were only making gas cars if I remember correctly. I haven't heard anyone so much as mention Team Losi yet. I'm assuming that they're in the same boat as HPI. The Awesomatix car looks like a spaceship and a touring car had a baby. There's a lot going on in the hobby right now, LOL.
Losi are still around doing off road but they abandoned touring cars.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

By the way, there are a bunch of brands that are price competitive and very good. I just didn't want to name them all... One example is the ARC car.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

So, I'm guessing that the electric touring car companies have all agreed on one optimal layout; two belts down the center with batteries on one side, and everything else on the other. Most of the cars on the market today look eerily similar. Identical, even.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

So, I'm guessing that the electric touring car companies have all agreed on one optimal layout; two belts down the center with batteries on one side, and everything else on the other. Most of the cars on the market today look eerily similar. Identical, even.
Yes, the whole market has come down to that design, more or less.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

The only manufacturer that is not following that way of doing things (that I am aware of) is Tamiya. The TB Evo 7 allows for multiple configurations on either side. The TA07 allows the movement of the motor mount to three different positions and uses a single belt. The gizmo is moving over to a more traditional structure.
We Are Ninja likes this.