Need Touring Car advice >

Need Touring Car advice

Like Tree19Likes

Need Touring Car advice

Old 05-23-2018, 06:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vintagedriver View Post
The BSR is a great choice. Dirt cheap and most Xray parts fit. Can be very competitive chassis to be sure.
This will be second year of racing the BSR BT4. Just wish there was a better motor mount. That will be what ends my time with it.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

They made an aluminum upgrade motor mount. Not sure of hobbyking has any. Other wise try the Team C version
Old 05-23-2018, 06:44 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Vintagedriver View Post
They made an aluminum upgrade motor mount. Not sure of hobbyking has any. Other wise try the Team C version
been looking for over a year. Can’t find it in stock.

Edit. Listed as back ordered.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been racing for just over 2 years now. I cannot stress to you how true this knowledge is in the previous posts. Get to your local track and take a talley of what everyone else is racing. Then buy the same thing if you can afford it. If you can't, then buy a generation back. It will save you so much money and heartache. Also, don't start out trying to be fast. Concentrate on running laps without flipping your lid or hitting other cars. Then learn to drive the lines that everyone else is driving. All the while, read as much as you can about setup science... it's so important.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Track time is very crucial...
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Track time is very crucial...
But not always possible. For those of us that do parking lot racing, tracks are only available on race day. Sometimes got practice where you can. And if you can learn to be consistent on a bad surface, a good prepared surface feels almost easy. Iíve got no visions of truly challenging the fast guys. Just simple goals, get to lead lap.
Someday I hope to actually run on a true track.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

I head to the local tennis courts with cones for my practice. Our local track is a converted tennis court so It's a great approximation for the track. The hard thing is tightening things up to where it's just like the track so you have the drive the lines. I tend to push the cones around a bit. I've gotten to the point of where I don't crash, but I"m at the ass end of the field, but that's ok I'll slowly catch up as I learn my setup and develop my driving technique. I watch and learn a lot and am not afraid of asking questions
Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Destiny, Awesomatix, Mugen, Associated, Serpent I have owned and ran all of these in the last few years.
Thus far I like the current car my Destiny RX10SR the best. Turns like an awesomatix with great corner speed and is extremely easy to drive, setup, and tune being a traditional style TC. This has been my fastest TC on CRC Black with both the stock carbon chassis on older tires and the flex aluminum chassis on newer tires.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Xpress XQ1S. Latest low cost chassis.
WagwanBumba likes this.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

I toyed around with touring cars ten or so years ago, but not even remotely competitively. This thread has been unbelievably informative... I wish I had seen the suggestion to check out what everyone at the track was already driving, though. :/
Old 05-31-2018, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by We Are Ninja View Post
I toyed around with touring cars ten or so years ago, but not even remotely competitively. This thread has been unbelievably informative... I wish I had seen the suggestion to check out what everyone at the track was already driving, though. :/
I do too. That being said, I am also glad that I got into Tamiya as a brand. I really love the blue bling and the quirkiness of the brand. You really should give it a try again. You may find that you enjoy it more than off road. I've met several people that moved over from off road and they love it.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nubs View Post
I do too. That being said, I am also glad that I got into Tamiya as a brand. I really love the blue bling and the quirkiness of the brand. You really should give it a try again. You may find that you enjoy it more than off road. I've met several people that moved over from off road and they love it.
I'm considering a new brand. Apparently, HPI isn't the juggernaut that it used to be... Looking at Tamiya, XRAY and MST.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

I'm considering a new brand. Apparently, HPI isn't the juggernaut that it used to be... Looking at Tamiya, XRAY and MST.
Nope. Hpi started a downturn soon after I got into the hobby in 2010-11. Eventually leading to the bankruptcy and sale. The new owners, RipMax, havenít really been able to fix it either. At least not in the States.

We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Tamiya is not quite as competitive as it used to be. The big brands these days are:
Xray
Team Associated
Yokomo
Mugen
Infinity
Serpent
Awesomatix

If you want to have great part support and tons of help, Xray is the way to go... even if you get a generation back or two.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Depends on what you mean by competitive. Tamiya Makes the 419, which is functionally the same as half the cars you listed, you're just as likely to win with a Mugen, Yokomo, or Associated car, as with a TRF419.. They also make cars "based on" the 419, that are suitable for places where an open belt double deck car aren't a good idea. EG: the TB05 for nasty ratty parking lots.

HPI is a broken company, I'd expect it to take a couple years to recover, if ever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.