Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

Graphene VS Normal Lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I was reading articles about Graphene. This one part of an article that was interesting. "Conductive: Electrons are the particles that make up electricity. So when graphene allows electrons to move quickly, it is allowing electricity to move quickly. It is known to move electrons 200 times faster than silicon because they travel with such little interruption. It is also an excellent heat conductor. Graphene is conductive independent of temperature and works normally at room temperature." Graphene was studied in the 1940's. So I guess it's been around for a while. Seems like most name brand RC batteries have Graphene written on them or they have a line of them with regular lipos. . Maybe it's a gimmick? Maybe it's not. I am going to buy one and try it.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Honestly I can't say I've noticed any on track difference between regular LiPo's and ones that have "Graphene" on the labels.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...egory&path=163
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if your track allows it, the HV (graphene) packs take high amp charges and/also 4.35V per cell the various graphene labeled packs do perform better. if you are limited to 10 amps and 4.2V. no reason to bother with them

i bought two packs from a company, a lipo and HV slim 2S shorties. the lipo within two weeks of 30amp+ charges bloated, the HV graph pack did fine for 3 months with only slight swelling.

when we had oval racing going, i was the only one (in oval) using a graph pack in a latemodel, doing 40 amp charges @4,35V per cell, during the day each run it got faster, others racers noticed the speed difference especially last minute of run vs their cars. cheating, motor, boosting, blinky allegations flew. some of the oval racers got the same HV pack, did cycling and testing based on how i was charging vs a lipo. it was determined i was not cheating,,,it was the pack. others got the HV pack.

but...charging though got out of hand at our track for offroad more than oval, racers had figured which brand HV graph pack was most durable in abusive charging and taking 2S packs anywhere from 4.5V to 5V+ per to near 11V pack range. stock 17.5 became the new MOD class. track implemented rules on charging, anyone with more than 4,24V per cell at random would be DQ. asked to leave. once this occurred there was no noticeable difference between good quality standard lipo and HV branded packs.
BP likes this.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Most noticible thing ive seen is the newer packs(EAM 6000) DONT swell... we usually buy new packs for every major race we attend but this year i still have great packs from aug of 17 no puffing and only about a 10% differencer in IR/run time
Now EA has his new 8000 pack with even better IR and is much lighter than the other 8000 packs (322g)
Antimullet likes this.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I posted this in the iCharger forum but have not had a reply that helps yet.

I have a new ProTek 1S 100C Silicon Graphene HV LiPo Battery3.8V/8000mAh and was looking for advice on charging/discharging it. This pack will be used for 17.5 1/12 scale racing. I'm more interested in good performance, durability, and safety than all out power if that makes a difference in your suggestion. I was just going to charge it like I do my old Protek 5800 1S lipo at 12amps and discharge at 25amps. I do believe there is a voltage limit enforced at maybe 4.2v. I charge my older battery to 4.22 but its so old it drops to 4.18 or so. Cant remember the IR its been so long since I checked.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

According to my sources, ALL LiPo batteries can be charged to 4.35v per cell and always could. Better quality materials and manufacturing techniques have recently allowed us to actually charge to that amount now without damaging the cells. Therefore, batteries being sold as High Voltage these days is 100% marketing BS.

Also, Graphene material is only being used as a cell separator. Anything else you are being told is BS.

Here are excerpts from Pro Amps web site:
Shorty

I am not a sponsored driver, but have used these batteries with great success. I also trust the honesty and technical knowledge of the company's owner. Good luck in your racing.
Joe Maxey, dawgmeat and Kaifd3s like this.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Suspended

This question should really be posted in the Radio and Electronics section.

Had you looked there you would have found High voltage lipos - fact or myth?

All of you should read that thread, because it seems a lot of the people posting on this thread are a bit misinformed about Graphene and HV.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xevias
According to my sources, ALL LiPo batteries can be charged to 4.35v per cell and always could. Better quality materials and manufacturing techniques have recently allowed us to actually charge to that amount now without damaging the cells. Therefore, batteries being sold as High Voltage these days is 100% marketing BS.

Also, Graphene material is only being used as a cell separator. Anything else you are being told is BS.

Here are excerpts from Pro Amps web site:
Shorty

I am not a sponsored driver, but have used these batteries with great success. I also trust the honesty and technical knowledge of the company's owner. Good luck in your racing.
Your sources are wrong. Non HV lipos shouldn't be charged at over 4.2V.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

in 2016 prior to the graphene labeling, here in arizona top 17.5 buggy racers where charging 2s lipo shortys to 4.35v per cell and 70 amps on a icharger. i was told by one top 17.5 racer, it was one specific protek 2s shorty, to get up with him and he would tell me which one to order. i never did, because i was only months back into the hobby, and was reluctant about spending money on a icharger, etc.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Good information, thanks
Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Suspended

You can charge a non-hv battery to 4.35v at high current for a little while, but the cells start to lose capacity, and increase in IR after about 30 cycles. I've personally watched it happen to 3 different brand new packs as I pushed them beyond the limit. The Protek Graphene batteries lasted a year of high current cycling. Only Graphene battery I've tried so I can't speak for any other packs.

For what it's worth, the newest iCharger software lets you charge HV batteries up to 8.8v. Try pushing a non-hv battery to 8.8v and see what happens.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:48 AM
Tech Rookie

A graphene battery is a new type of battery made of graphene, a thin sheet of carbon atoms in a honeycomb pattern. Rumors are Tesla is working on a car graphene battery, which can be fully charged five times faster than common batteries.

As electric cars gain increasing market share, new battery technologies are being implemented in them to improve their range and efficiency. The graphene battery is one of the new technologies that could be applied to electric vehicles.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Graphene uses in battery producing. To find graphene as nanomaterial you can in special laboratories like this one. Due to their unique nanoscale size, shape, and material composition, graphene nanopowder can be applied to improve the properties of a wide range of polymeric materials, natural or synthetic rubber, adhesives, paints, lacquers and coatings.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

HAvent been all that into battery tech but the only thing I notice is that Graphene tend to deal with abuse better. So if your a little on the lazy maintenance side of batteries then I’d go with Graphene. Otherwise I don’t think there is much difference that will really show unless your a pro level racer.