Graphene VS Normal Lipo? >

Graphene VS Normal Lipo?

Like Tree19Likes

Graphene VS Normal Lipo?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Graphene VS Normal Lipo?

Sorry if there is already a thread about this but I could not find it here. If so, please attach a link within rctech, thanks~!

I have been asking about Graphene VS Lipo batteries with my local racers and I am getting mixed reviews. I noticed there are a lot of Graphene batteries available for 2s touring car racing. Is it worth it or should I stay with Lipo? I read some reviews online and watched some videos and still have mixed reviews. Your thoughts?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

According to SMC, Graphene is just marketing BS. Interestingly, I have 2 new 6000 mAh batteries from different manufactures. One is an HV Graphene LiPo and one is a std LiPo. They both weigh exactly the same right to the gram which seems to support SMC's claim - the Graphene pack should be lighter if it has Graphene in it. Both packs also seem to perform exactly the same on the track - identical lap times. I will be long term testing them back to back but so far I have seen no significant difference in LiPo battery packs in several years at the club level. LiPo's are just so good.
dawgmeat, Bar and Tim Neja like this.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Graphene is lab created and extremely expensive, unless your paying HUNDREDS of dollars for a pack it has negligible if any graphene, and the labeling is marketing
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

....interesting comments/information. I have been reading more about it and seems like most of the good reviews for Graphene batteries are hobbyist that either fly of do bashing. But most rc car racers are more towards lipo. I think I might have found my answer.

Thanks~!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Turnigy Graphene Batteries

comments on graphene packs taken from one post i did

sellers advertising and statements on LIHV, this is were i believe there may be a issue and confusion. will use some examples and highlights, hopefully brand loyalists won't flame.

on this pack in the overview, ProTek RC 2S 100C Silicon Graphene HV Shorty LiPo Battery (7.6V/6100mAh) it states: "While these batteries are technically LiHV cells, they can still be charged with a standard LiPo charger. The overall voltage and capacity will be slightly less than if charged to LiHV specs, but the performance will be better than a standard LiPo thanks to the reduced weight and low internal resistance." the pack is not a 6100mah pack unless charged at the higher rate.

LRP Stock Spec Shorty P5-HV Graphene 2S LiPo 60C Battery (7.6V/6000mAh) does not state to have a difference, only saying they are "100% compatible for 8.40V (2S)" and "Charge with your standard LiPo charger for 8.4V or with LiHV charger for 8.7V". LRP does not makes claims of equal or better discharge curves, run times, etc

Reedy Zappers HV 2S Hard Case LiPo 100C Shorty Battery (7.6V/4800mAh) overview: Even when the typical 8.4V (4.2V/cell) charging limit is enforced, the battery still offers a significant advantage thanks to a flatter discharge curve -- which results in more voltage deeper into the race. For those who race where approved batteries are required, 7.4V are available and feature the same discharge curve characteristics as the 7.6V versions.

Fantom Racing 5500mAh 7.6v 2S HV Pro Racing shorty LiPo in their overview recently on New Fantom Racing 5500mAh 7.6v 2S HV Pro Racing shorty LiPo :: LiveRC.com - R/C Car News, Pictures, Videos, and More were some interesting tidbits: "These HV batteries are only an advantage if you are allowed to fully charge them to 8.7 volts." and "IMPORTANT: This battery requires a charger that is capable of charging up to 8.7 volts (4.35 volts per cell) to obtain the maximum performance out of it." pretty much along the lines of what midwest oval racers came up with last year. Fantom even recommends you go with a standard LIPO if you can't charge to 4.35.

things that makes you go...hmmmmmmmm
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nope, no question the LiHV are worth the upgrade
I didn't want to believe it either so setup tests both on track and on my iCharger
the LiHV won every time, I did everything in my power to limit variables
it's just better chemistry
now that said, if you're not running at the front of the pack in stock, or you run mod, it is a non-factor, but if you're fighting for that last tenth, it could be in the lithium
I remember when SMC was awesome.......It was 2001......
The caveat to that is if you buy the Protek LiHV, I have bought a couple myself and cycled a couple others to verify, they are just never matched well
All the Motiv LiHV I have tested have been closer matched than any of the Proteks I have worked with
Yes, I cycle batteries for fun and science and lap times
No, I don't have friends
Old 04-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Are you referring to Graphene HV or Lipo HV batteries? What's confusing is that some labels show GRAPHENE LIHV.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

JoeyE, it's the same thing.
You can charge to 8.6v. Some people are believers, but team powers only makes them so I use em. I only charge 8.4v to stay legal during sanctioned races.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88
JoeyE, it's the same thing.
You can charge to 8.6v. Some people are believers, but team powers only makes them so I use em. I only charge 8.4v to stay legal during sanctioned races.
Ah, yes, I did all my comparison tests @ 8.42 charge cut-off just to be clear, reads 8.39-8.40 for tech inspection that way for me
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There’s no graphene in rc car lipos yet
Bar, miller tyme and gigaplex like this.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Good information, thanks~
Old 04-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Graphene is lab created and extremely expensive, unless your paying HUNDREDS of dollars for a pack it has negligible if any graphene, and the labeling is marketing
I feel like I should add something.......
I'm not sure you need a lot of graphene to make it better, it might be application, not quantity, but that's not the point
I really don't care what they call it or why they say it is a better chemistry, I just know it is a newer chemistry and it does perform better, I was skeptical, but the discharge curve is just so much flatter, I don't care if they put unicorn fur in there, it is a slightly better battery
Now whether or not racer X needs them or not is a whole different question, but if they are in your budget, get some good ones, Motiv, Reedy, a big name, I haven't seen good matching on bargain new chemistry, but it does still beat one gen old bargain chemistry still
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Does any battery brand offer any explanation regarding how graphene is actually used in their cells?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

What's the point if they are not legal for racing? Just put in a bigger motor if you must be King of practice day. Otherwise, it'll take a rule change at the top.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:07 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

My experience with all the LIHV, graphene, etc., etc. blah blah blah...... is don't buy the marketing.

Buy quality cells and test them on your charger for the best IR. Consider batteries a wear item and replace them when IR starts creeping up.
iTz Nicholas72 and eR1c like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.