R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Asphalt-vs-Carpet

I'm starting this post because it came up in the Snowbirds forum. X-ray was crowned king because how they dominated Mod and 19-turn due to it's superior design, others think it because they signed all the free agents on the TC market.This is what I think boils down too The IFMAR TC championship is decided on rubber asphalt so the standard of TC is geared towards that. Notice that Tamiya, HB and YOk don't even care to make front diffs for their respected flagship cars. I guess it just a U.S. thing and with the next IFMAR coming up, if the U.S. keeps that mentality that carpet is king we may just have a repeat of 04
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
I'm starting this post because it came up in the Snowbirds forum. X-ray was crowned king because how they dominated Mod and 19-turn due to it's superior design, others think it because they signed all the free agents on the TC market.This is what I think boils down too The IFMAR TC championship is decided on rubber asphalt so the standard of TC is geared towards that. Notice that Tamiya, HB and YOk don't even care to make front diffs for their respected flagship cars. I guess it just a U.S. thing and with the next IFMAR coming up, if the U.S. keeps that mentality that carpet is king we may just have a repeat of 04
No front diffs for many of those cars you mentioned because in Japan they don't run diffs they run one ways. Superior design, well that is debateable. Tamiya had superior design that everyone has copied one way or another, ala T2, Cyclone and Yoke BD. Also realistically look at the team drivers. It can be said that Xray has many more of the top guys than any other team. Nothing wrong than that but lets face it Blackstock, Lemiux, Dumas, Burch, Jilles, just to name a few plus the ones I missed. I truely don't think any team matches them.

If you go by what you said then Tamiya is the king since they won the last two Worlds so that makes them the king if you go by that.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Carpet is for walking on, and watching Television on, Asphalt is for race cars....
Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What the whole argument boils down to is that there is no asphalt racing to speak of in the greater part of the U.S.
Asphalt is cool but hard to run with the climate in the US especially in the midwest. Carpet is big and competitive here same as asphalt in asia. So why so bitter.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd
No front diffs for many of those cars you mentioned because in Japan they don't run diffs they run one ways. Superior design, well that is debateable. Tamiya had superior design that everyone has copied one way or another, ala T2, Cyclone and Yoke BD. Also realistically look at the team drivers. It can be said that Xray has many more of the top guys than any other team. Nothing wrong than that but lets face it Blackstock, Lemiux, Dumas, Burch, Jilles, just to name a few plus the ones I missed. I truely don't think any team matches them.

If you go by what you said then Tamiya is the king since they won the last two Worlds so that makes them the king if you go by that.

I'm believe that that outdoors is king and I live in ROAR region#1 where turnout is beyond small and until someone beats Tamiya their the big cheese and I say that being an owner of a T2
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Break out the haterade!!!

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Tamiya had superior design that everyone has copied one way or another, ala T2, Cyclone and Yoke BD
wyd- you made some good points but this is not one. The super low top deck that was first seen on the Corally RDX. and the 415 wasn't even Tamiya's it's a design they got from Tech Racing (it even says it on the box). If you're refering to the lay out of the electronics many cars had that before the 415. Yokomo's first touring car the YR-4 had a simular lay out. If the current cars are copies of anything I belive it would have to be the RDX (first with the low top deck) and Corally's previous design Assasin also had a lay out simular to that of a 415 before the 415 was released.

As for the Japanese market goes you are absolutly correct they mainly run one ways. This is why the make all thier top level cars with them

Roly
Old 02-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

I`m not bitter..................it`s just my opinion. I ran a lot of carpet in the past, now that there is an indoor asphalt track that I can choose from, I prefer the blacktop.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Actually, if you just look at the overall layout, the XXXS is very close to the current crop of cars in motor and battery positioning. Just in a molded chassis.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I always thought popularity of carpet was due to the lack of paved tracks in the US. One reason being the ease of setting up and tearing down a carpet track indoors. Hotels seem to be the choice for big races in the US so carpet is the only choice for that reason.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
I always thought popularity of carpet was due to the lack of paved tracks in the US. One reason being the ease of setting up and tearing down a carpet track indoors. Hotels seem to be the choice for big races in the US so carpet is the only choice for that reason.
Paved tracks would be more popular if 2/3rds of the country wasn't covered in snow or below 30*F for 4-5 months of the year

Old 02-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I guess overall the great thing is you have a choice to run carpet or asphalt. Everyone has a favorite. In are area with have indoor asphalt and 2 or 3 carpet tracks close. For me I like asphalt as to me it is more like the way real racing is done so I run asphalt. Just the choice I choose to make and nothing more. When I don't run asphalt I can do many other hobbies if I don't want to be on carpet so I fly heli's or ride 4 wheelers.

Roly that is true forgot about that. Damn the old age is kicking in. Manin thing is now many of the top cars have the same basic design with each company at this time. I guess you only have so many ways to make a car and the hot setup is now the 2 belt low slung setup. Who knows whats in store down the road.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
Actually, if you just look at the overall layout, the XXXS is very close to the current crop of cars in motor and battery positioning. Just in a molded chassis.
The Losi xxx-s is totally different than the belt drive cars today.
It was single belted its chassis was molded graphite there was no
upper deck etc.
The only similarity was the motor and electronics position.
Simon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I prefer ashphalt much better because i like big free flowing tracks.
I dont really like doing 20 hairpin corners in a lap

In Japan they run one-ways indoor as well and its surprising quite
good indoors. Ive tryed spool and diff but i like one-way the best.
Simon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i find that the biggest advantages between the cars is the suspension and steering geometry.chassis layout and balance is important also but you need a good base to start with.I still feel that tamiya was the first to nail the suspension and steering geometry.all the other companies seem to have it now also.that was the big part.now it is just fine tuning with with different layouts of the drivetrain ect.in a way they all work off eachother.i dont blame them.there is usually only one way to do it right.i agree about the yok,hb,andtamiya with the asphalt cars.im sure they will have alot more chassis support real soon.cough cough,CYCLONE
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote