R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Jason- Yeah I'm sure we'll see alot more Cyclones on the rug thanks to you

wyd- I'm with you I prefer asphault, but I know how big Carpet racing is in this Country.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch

I never ran Asphalt because when I started (December) it was snowing in Michigan, and still is. Plus my track is indoor and Im not sure where a outdoor is around here.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
Paved tracks would be more popular if 2/3rds of the country wasn't covered in snow or below 30*F for 4-5 months of the year
Asphalt doesn't mean outdoors, it works just as good indoors.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Here in the UK we have the best of both worlds. Outdoors on tarmac April - October and indoors on carpet November to March.

I prefer outdoors as the tracks are bigger and the social aspect is better - especially at the regional / natinal level when you practice on Saturdays - drink beer abd BBQ Sat nigh and race on Sunday.

Also, outdoors you can run the silly wind motors which you can't run indoors as the tracks are too small.
TraceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 AM   #20
Tech Adept

In europe we also run on carpet 6 month a year but we do it rubber tires. This is the big difference compared to US where foam is king. Foamracing is a completly different story compared to rubbertires. Btw tamiya atleast paid royalties to techracing for the trf415 layout and is honest about it.
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 AM   #21
Tech Rookie

here in africa we run on foot, we have no money to buy nike shoes
pls donate some to our villagers, we dont mind if it is sri lanka made in or vietnam
Deceased Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:49 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

Somone up there said you can run asphalt indoors. And sure you could if you could make enough revenue to stay open for more than a year. I think thats another reason carpet is so big in the states...truth is the racing scene seems so fickle that a track that was all the rage last year is now for rent this year. Its alot easier to set up and ultimatly tear out carpet. Imagine trying to casually remove some asphalt..x.X. Also I heard one of the Euros mention the foam/rubber thing...holy smokes is that a hot debate here locally, but even outdoors there is push to run foams.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:02 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I`m not bitter..................it`s just my opinion. I ran a lot of carpet in the past, now that there is an indoor asphalt track that I can choose from, I prefer the blacktop.
When are you going to change that annoying sig? We get the point already
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

word!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MiniMaxx

I race at the indoor asphalt track he was speaking of and I see no chance of it going out of business anytime soon. Its one of the biggest and best hobby shops I have ever been to and the people that work there are the greatest. I was even awarded with a TCS race this year. The track is unbeleivable couldn't imagine running anywhere else.
MiniMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMaxx
I race at the indoor asphalt track he was speaking of and I see no chance of it going out of business anytime soon. Its one of the biggest and best hobby shops I have ever been to and the people that work there are the greatest. I was even awarded with a TCS race this year. The track is unbeleivable couldn't imagine running anywhere else.
Never said they dont exist and that they cant make it...just sayin that on average tracks and hobby shops close down alot. Making a carpet a far more common alternative.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
Tech Master

I think it really boils down to the place in the world you are living in...And the availability of the track closest to you. I would not travel very far if there is one near my house.

And if the track closest is ashpalt then people should try their best to exceel in thier local track. And vice versa...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

Here in Barbados we dont have any indoor tracks so it all outdoor asphalt, so I would have to go with asphalt, more realistic grip levels. Only prob is rain.. oops I mean liquid sunshine
spidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #29
Tech Elite

does it really matter if your racing on carpet or asphalt, as long as your racing and having a good time with friends, who cares what the surface or what the car or who drives what or designed what when

and one correction in the opening statement. while the yok doesn't come with a front diff, they do make a front diff for the car, the rear diff is interchangable.

thank you for your time.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote