Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which 1/10 Touring chassis for 21.5 sportsman or USGT class indoor black carpet? >

Which 1/10 Touring chassis for 21.5 sportsman or USGT class indoor black carpet?

Like Tree4Likes

Which 1/10 Touring chassis for 21.5 sportsman or USGT class indoor black carpet?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Which 1/10 Touring chassis for 21.5 sportsman or USGT class indoor black carpet?

Looking for some recommendation for which touring car chassis to get. Hoping to run 21.5 sportsman or USGT classes (both classes run spec tires) on black carpet indoor.

So far I'm looking at the 3Racing XI Sport, Sakura Advance, or the VBC Ghost18. Are these chassis somewhat competitive in the classes that I'm intending to get into?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

I'd get a car better known such as the Xray, Associated, Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, Yokomo, etc...
Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88 View Post
I'd get a car better known such as the Xray, Associated, Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, Yokomo, etc...
Those are all far more expensive. Of the options listed by the poster, the VBC would be my pick. Other options to consider would include the Xpress XQ1S, Blaze R2, or a second hand one of the more expensive brands.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd pick the Sakura Advance. Parts support is much better than VBC at the moment.
Would also consider the Xpress XQ1S when that comes out (Should be soon!)
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

The first thing, is to see what is supported by the local shop. For me, that's Team Associated, X-Ray, or VBC. You don't want to be running a Xpress, Tamiya, Yokomo, Kyosho, or Schumaker if you can't get parts, today. If you're serious about racing, you're looking at having whole second car in that case.

Lets say your local track doesn't actually stock parts for cars. Then the next thing to look at is "what's popular". Show up to a race day, check the cars as they come off the track. Walk the pits. Ask questions. See who's got the biggest showing. Is there a chassis you can't ID? Ask the racer, they're typically happy to show off a bit. This is "more or less" the situation with my FF03. There's a few people running Tamiya stuff, so if I am really in trouble, I can ask for help.

So.. maybe you think you have a better idea. And you're OK being your own parts supply. Then you can pick whatever you think looks good.... Something else to look at, is how many setups are listed on petitrc, or who has the most active user base.

I know the answer is vague. But from what I can tell, whatever you run, if it's a top tier car, you can make it work. The only "serious" difference, seems to be with the Awesomatix, which if you're a consistant enough, and fast enough driver, it provides a significant lap time difference. Not enough people run them at my track, but I bet the same will go for the latest shumaker cars.
simple and PegLeg like this.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There’s a couple options. Nothing wrong with the entry level stuff. I use a BSR BT4. Enuff XRay parts fit that I’m not too worried about parts. Didn’t break anything last year other then couple spur gears.
Yes the XRay T4 is expensive new. Nothing wrong with looking into used. There’s always someone getting out of racing, or they moved from the newest model. I’ve got a couple T4 and and Serpent 4x bought used. Paid a lot less then new.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by )EIB( View Post
Looking for some recommendation for which touring car chassis to get. Hoping to run 21.5 sportsman or USGT classes (both classes run spec tires) on black carpet indoor.

So far I'm looking at the 3Racing XI Sport, Sakura Advance, or the VBC Ghost18. Are these chassis somewhat competitive in the classes that I'm intending to get into?
I would get a car that you can get a Aluminum chassis with. The Aluminum chassis is almost a must. Spec R cars , Team C cars might a option too. Myself I would prefer a Newer Xray,
Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

3Racing XI SPORT NU kit

Out of the box everything you need to be competitive at the club level, unlimited upgrades when your ready.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Unless your local hobby shop supports/sells one of those cars, a used '16 T4 x-ray (which can be had for 200-$250) would be my choice.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

I run a Tamiya TA07 Pro in 21.5T class and the car is competitive. We run on a green carpet in an indoor sports arena which isn't rc specific though, the chassis is pretty flexible so may not be the best on black carpet. The car holds its own against the top tier kits. I have kept upgrades to the minimum, just the swaybar set and a spring set as I don't see the point in spending the kit price again on upgrades when you could just buy a better chassis to begin with. I am looking at the stiffer chassis stiffeners which are another $9.50, so including those its about $40 on top of the kit price.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Unhappy

Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
3Racing XI SPORT NU kit

Out of the box everything you need to be competitive at the club level, unlimited upgrades when your ready.

Sir, you have the +40 sensor board for this motor? I have a 17.5 version and with +10 board I can't get a lot of rev out of it....
BTW, what a nice looking car! Hopefully they don't change to the black and gold
Old 04-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
The first thing, is to see what is supported by the local shop. For me, that's Team Associated, X-Ray, or VBC. You don't want to be running a Xpress, Tamiya, Yokomo, Kyosho, or Schumaker if you can't get parts, today. If you're serious about racing, you're looking at having whole second car in that case.

Lets say your local track doesn't actually stock parts for cars. Then the next thing to look at is "what's popular". Show up to a race day, check the cars as they come off the track. Walk the pits. Ask questions. See who's got the biggest showing. Is there a chassis you can't ID? Ask the racer, they're typically happy to show off a bit. This is "more or less" the situation with my FF03. There's a few people running Tamiya stuff, so if I am really in trouble, I can ask for help.

So.. maybe you think you have a better idea. And you're OK being your own parts supply. Then you can pick whatever you think looks good.... Something else to look at, is how many setups are listed on petitrc, or who has the most active user base.

I know the answer is vague. But from what I can tell, whatever you run, if it's a top tier car, you can make it work. The only "serious" difference, seems to be with the Awesomatix, which if you're a consistant enough, and fast enough driver, it provides a significant lap time difference. Not enough people run them at my track, but I bet the same will go for the latest shumaker cars.
You will want to be able to obtain parts relatively easily. At my track, the cars that are supported are the Associated and Xray. There is some Kyosho stuff but not a full supply. I do carry parts in my bag for all the stuff that could possibly break+ more. The Awesomatix is cool and will have a lower center of gravity because of the different shocks. This will improve corner speed. The Awesomatix is hard to find, and almost nobody carries parts. Most likely, you'll either have to ship it or go to Europe to get it. It is also one of the most expensive cars out there because of this. Using known cars and not the cheap cars will improve your performance and you can also find setup sheets from team drivers. What's popular at your track is definitely important too. I would consider it an investment into your future racing career. Aluminum chassis will most likely be needed to run on carpet.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A used Xray. Here is why.....cost of ownership will be less. These cars are extremely durable. One will not break as many parts. You will finish more races. Parts are expensive, but you will break less. Resale value is quite good. A friend of mine is running Xrays from 2014 and is very very good....
Old 04-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

If you're going to get an Xray, get a 2016 or newer.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
Sir, you have the +40 sensor board for this motor? I have a 17.5 version and with +10 board I can't get a lot of rev out of it....
BTW, what a nice looking car! Hopefully they don't change to the black and gold
nope, just the stock one.
thanks! Then new XI is mostly black, only the shock caps are bronze, all the alloy bits are available in pink

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service