Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Carbon or Aluminum Flex chassis?....decisions...decisions. >

Carbon or Aluminum Flex chassis?....decisions...decisions.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tim Neja

Carbon or Aluminum Flex chassis?....decisions...decisions.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Carbon or Aluminum Flex chassis?....decisions...decisions.

Question for those that have run both the Carbon and Aluminum flex chassis on asphalt. Which one felt best to you? Here we have a lot of fast guys running the Flex chassis....almost nobody running Carbon.

When I bought my 2018 Xray T4 I ordered the Carbon chassis kit and ran a couple races with it until the rear of the chassis became delaminated due to contact, the car felt very good but replaced it with the Aluminum chassis and it doesn't feel as fast. Running on a high traction new asphalt track and ran .2-.3 tenths slower with the Flex chassis on different days so it's hard to gauge accurately....the Flex chassis took a hard hit last week and it got tweaked. (Both accidents were flukish). I don't run on carpet so the Flex chassis is not something I'm locked into. I ordered both chassis's but haven't decided which one to run yet, and since testing both on the same day is not practical I'm looking for input from those racers that have experiences to share.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

My 2, Ive run both an aluminum flex and carbon solid chassis on my detc410 and the flex felt eaiser to drive.

This is in a vta car, but I've always seen it preached that flex makes the car slightly less responsive. So it's more forgiving, but if your a good consistent driver, I can see why you wouldn't want that.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Personally I would run the graphite chassis if traction is good and temps are high. I have found the same thing you are describing on asphalt.

When you put the alum. flex on, did the car feel like the balance was more stable at the rear with less steering?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The simple answer is you already have the information. I'd go with whatever setup you had that was the quickest!! That's always a good choice!!
Lonestar likes this.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Everyone here runs a carbon chassis.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 AM
Suspended

As mentioned it really depends on the design of the frame. But generally speaking aluminum, due to its large tubes, is the stiffest frame material. Unfortunately it is stiff in good and bad ways and gives a very unforgiving ride. Carbon can be designed to be just as stiff as aluminum where you need it, yet be compliant in other areas so you get a much more comfortable ride.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As mentioned it really depends on the design of the frame. But generally speaking aluminum, due to its large tubes, is the stiffest frame material. Unfortunately it is stiff in good and bad ways and gives a very unforgiving ride. Carbon can be designed to be just as stiff as aluminum where you need it, yet be compliant in other areas so you get a much more comfortable ride.
here are my 2 chassis the carbon feels stiffer the flex aluminum is slightly heavier keeps lower LG , I had to add a lot of weight to the carbon chassis to make it 1350. Aluminum chassis to me feels more consistent and easier to drive .

Last edited by Marcos.J; 12-04-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mark, I know the states race is coming up this weekend and you are trying to figure out what chassis to run on your new 2019 xray. I would have ordered the new worlds ultra flex aluminum chassis for our track, but I see you messed that up already. LOL Since you only have the aluminum flex and the graphite, I would put the graphite on. I know myself, Tim, Chris, Jack, and almost everyone else will be running the graphite. At least you will know that it won't get bent again Depending on the setup both chassis can be equally good on our asphalt track.