Like Tree59Likes

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They look like the crown and pinion from a Nanda NRX12? If so ... yeah major mods needed
Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

maybe give it a try the nanda nrx12... mine is not that car and I don't have any info on it... I am seeking some metal spiral gear too, it may be more durable.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did anybody create an after market motor plate for the tb04? I shelved mine when I stopped running 17.5 and have been running 21.5/25.5 could not gear it enough to be competitive .
Old 04-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
Did anybody create an after market motor plate for the tb04? I shelved mine when I stopped running 17.5 and have been running 21.5/25.5 could not gear it enough to be competitive .
Exotek racing used to have the gear adapter to make tb04 able to achieve 73/52 gear ratio which gives you 3.5 fdr. But I don't think it is enough for 21.5/25.5. Another expensive way is to convert 04 into the exotek exosix, that way you can achieve much lower fdr but again you need parts kit and conversion kit together to finish the build. Tamiya itself makes an high gear adapter (54601) but I don't know how low the fdr you can achieve.
Guess that's why 04 never takes of in the states.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
Tamiya #54601
Old 04-21-2018, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default gears

I use tamiya anti- wear grease. the gray stuff in the small round container. I have run my tb3 and tb04 is usgt and never had a problem with gears. converted the 03 to a rally car and now i abuse it with reverse and all.
I also shim the diff to get the gear mesh closer( like a spur and pinion)oh so Tiny bit of movt...... and only use a extreeeemly minimal amount of the stuff on the gears( tip of toothpick amount). always ck the screws that hold the diff covers on. if they are loose(even by a small amount) the gear will rise and chip teeth. good luck guys
Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow Right when Iím getting ready to buy a new Tamiya car. Is the belt driven car really that bad for parking lots? You guys make it sound terrible.... Also June seems so far away. Any idea what the intro price will be for this kit?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Smileyboy View Post
Wow Right when I’m getting ready to buy a new Tamiya car. Is the belt driven car really that bad for parking lots? You guys make it sound terrible.... Also June seems so far away. Any idea what the intro price will be for this kit?

dont worry about what most of these guys are saying. If they knew how to properly shim the drive line. Strip gears would never be an issue with plastic gears.

Regarding belt cars on parking lots. Belt cars are easier to build. More reliable in general. Easier to work on. Typically faster around the track. Belt cars are superior. Don’t hesitate to buy the TA07
JoeyE, Qatmix and Johnn27 like this.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you need 10.5t or below, it maybe your next op
Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

+1000000 Juan
I run a ta07 and it is awesome 90 percent of cars are belt so do not fear them unless you are racing in a Gravel pit
Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I have to say that this whole conversation about metal bevel gears is a bit surreal to me. I could literally take my 1st gen TC3 with oriinal plastic gears and throw the most vicious mod at it and they would hold no problem. This is a 20-year old TC (yeah, time flies). So, assuming the people on here who are having issues know what they are doing and the problem thus comes from the manufacturer... Why would anyone even consider buying a shaft-driven Tamiya?

Which brings me to my next question: Why would anyone want to buy a TB05? The car is ugly as hell and I don't see a single thing about it that would (even in principle) make it better than any other TC from the past 15 years. I do like quirky cars, but this just seems yet another pointless exercise in "being different" for the sake of it. I am sincerely asking: what is it that makes this car so desirable in the eyes of some? It's just a shaft drive with a weird weight distribution.

Meanwhile, has Tamiya fixed their crippling C-hub issues? If my info is up-to-date, they haven't and the customers still have to resort to marshmallow c-hubs in order to avoid DNFs. (Apologies if my info is dated). Again, my TC3 has had graphite C-hubs (with aluminum knuckles! ) for ages and I have never managed to break a single one of them- and God knows I've tried, on the most ruthless carpet tracks. So why do people keep buying those Tamiyas? I just don't get it. There are better looking, cheaper, more reliable cars out there, and probably faster ones too.
lagcisco, fathead and gigaplex like this.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

If you do not get it you never will. No pun intended Tamiya for life

Its a Tamiya Thing lol
Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tygertyger View Post
I have to say that this whole conversation about metal bevel gears is a bit surreal to me. I could literally take my 1st gen TC3 with oriinal plastic gears and throw the most vicious mod at it and they would hold no problem. This is a 20-year old TC (yeah, time flies). So, assuming the people on here who are having issues know what they are doing and the problem thus comes from the manufacturer... Why would anyone even consider buying a shaft-driven Tamiya?

Which brings me to my next question: Why would anyone want to buy a TB05? The car is ugly as hell and I don't see a single thing about it that would (even in principle) make it better than any other TC from the past 15 years. I do like quirky cars, but this just seems yet another pointless exercise in "being different" for the sake of it. I am sincerely asking: what is it that makes this car so desirable in the eyes of some? It's just a shaft drive with a weird weight distribution.

Meanwhile, has Tamiya fixed their crippling C-hub issues? If my info is up-to-date, they haven't and the customers still have to resort to marshmallow c-hubs in order to avoid DNFs. (Apologies if my info is dated). Again, my TC3 has had graphite C-hubs (with aluminum knuckles! ) for ages and I have never managed to break a single one of them- and God knows I've tried, on the most ruthless carpet tracks. So why do people keep buying those Tamiyas? I just don't get it. There are better looking, cheaper, more reliable cars out there, and probably faster ones too.

I personally purchased exotek C hubs. Flex problem solved. Car steering feels direct like my xray. A .1 or .2 shim removes the excess play. Done
Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

First of all, I'm a shaft-driven car fans and love all brand's not only Tamiya but Asso., Awesomatrix...etc.
I think the reason why ppl love it is because that Tamiya is still the only one RC company to invest a new chassis for shaft-driven touring car today.
We should appreciated that and even they are just change a little bit design and maybe not much durable. Further, it has many compatible items and easy to find a spare parts nowaday. So just enjoy and we have still got something new.

Last edited by walrusjon; 04-28-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:25 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

So what is the Ideal street prices?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service