Like Tree59Likes

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Old 04-13-2018, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Are you greasing the diff gears? If you're running them without grease, that would be why they're stripping. That much torque puts a lot of stress on the gear teeth and they'll overheat without lubrication.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Are you greasing the diff gears? If you're running them without grease, that would be why they're stripping. That much torque puts a lot of stress on the gear teeth and they'll overheat without lubrication.
This still happens with greasing the gears. Seen on my TB04, my EVO6MS and now on the EVO7. Problem is, that the grease flys off the gears. After one pack, there is no more lubrication. Therefore aluminium gears would be perfect.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
This still happens with greasing the gears. Seen on my TB04, my EVO6MS and now on the EVO7. Problem is, that the grease flys off the gears. After one pack, there is no more lubrication. Therefore aluminium gears would be perfect.
Just my two cents but I think metal gears are not a good idea. The plastic gears provide a point of failure in the drive line. If you use metal gears, what happens is that the point of failure moves to something else in the drive line. For example, if the metal gears happen to be more durable than say the long center drive shaft, you may end up with a warped/disfigured drive shaft. Alternatively, if your diff gears are made of plastic, its possible those will strip.. In a belt car, the point of failure is the belt. Because the belt can stretch, it ends up not being a problem.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Just my two cents but I think metal gears are not a good idea. The plastic gears provide a point of failure in the drive line. If you use metal gears, what happens is that the point of failure moves to something else in the drive line. For example, if the metal gears happen to be more durable than say the long center drive shaft, you may end up with a warped/disfigured drive shaft. Alternatively, if your diff gears are made of plastic, its possible those will strip.. In a belt car, the point of failure is the belt. Because the belt can stretch, it ends up not being a problem.
nubs, maybe you're right. Then a hybrid solution will be the best, Ring gear made out of aluminium, propeller gear plastic.

The main problem today in TB04 style gearboxes is rotating plastic on plastic. This generates heat and therefore wear. You can lubricate with all this vodoo ceramic grease and other things we tested already in former TB04 days. In the end of the day it will change nothing, because all this lubricants hold up only a few minutes and then they're gone. I gave it up and accepted, that the gears are wear parts.

I think, after the third (fourth?) generation of cars, that uses the TB04 gearbox/diff it's time for Tamiya to bring a full aluminium or hybrid solution as hop up.

And: a revised diff housing. The problem with cracks in the housing because of too thin walls around the screw holes is still existing too. See in the Evo7 thread.
DaSilva3525 likes this.

Last edited by Tom1977; 04-13-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I saw that.
I'm wondering if the solution is to create a center shaft that can bend without becoming warped. Not sure what that material would be.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I figure Fyrstormer and Nubs have never owned a TB03/04 or variant of.

Of course I grease the gears, minimise the friction to reduce heat.
And I really wouldn't mind if the point of failure was somewhere else - the TB03 gearboxs are such an integral part of the structure of the chassis, once you start having to dive in to the gearbox because there's a noise and potential a gear is stripped, you're going to be setting that thing up from step 1, not to mention every time the crown and pinon gears need to get change, you have to go through the process of checking the mesh and shimming accordingly
Old 04-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post

And I really wouldn't mind if the point of failure was somewhere else - the TB03 gearboxs are such an integral part of the structure of the chassis, once you start having to dive in to the gearbox because there's a noise and potential a gear is stripped, you're going to be setting that thing up from step 1, not to mention every time the crown and pinon gears need to get change, you have to go through the process of checking the mesh and shimming accordingly
I've never owned one of those cars but i do own a couple of TC3s. I've never had a single issue with the gears. I'm still using the original ones that came in the kit, and they've had a lot of use. I'm not sure how the Tamiya cars are having so many issues.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post

Have a tb04 that I converted to an exo6. And would you rather fix the gear box or redo your diff or buy a new center shaft that may or may not be in stock anymore. I think the miter gears are far easier to find replacements for. But again this is just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default tb-04

I ran a tb-04 pro 2nd generation for 3 seasons outdoors 13.5 and had the rear ring gear strip. I realized that the backlash was wrong. I corrected the backlash with shims and had never seen an issue again. The I also do not lubricate my gears due to the dust and debris collecting on the grease and causing premature wear. just my .02
Old 04-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

My recommendation is finish line dry ceramic wax lube. Itís what cyclist use on their gears. it forms a protective layer that deflects dirt and grime. I use it on all my cars shaft driven cars and M chassis. Never had an issue and you can always apply it again
Old 04-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
Aluminum gears would wear out almost as fast, actually. Aluminum is a very sticky metal, and when two pieces of aluminum are rubbed together, they will grind away at each other, and in some circumstances (like screw threads) they can even cold-weld together and get stuck permanently.

I don't know what kind of grease you're using, but try Grim Racer Speed Grease. It's very good at sticking to plastic without creating drag. Most of the grease will fling off, but all that matters is a microscopic film of grease remains on the gears. Tamiya doesn't have a comparable grease that you could substitute.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I want steel gears - much of the 4wd offroad wheelers are running steel crown and pinion even for the stock class.

As for grease - I've tried black grease, tamiya CG grease, bike ceramic dry lube ...
The problem isn't necessarily with the acceleration - It's usually on braking where I hear the gearbox gears strip and then it sounds like I'm driving a blender around the track.
Tom1977 likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Steel gear is the key. I run Hobbywing Bandit 10.5T brushless still ok, will try 4.5T or 5.5T later...

Tom1977 likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by walrusjon View Post
Steel gear is the key. I run Hobbywing Bandit 10.5T brushless still ok, will try 4.5T or 5.5T later...

May i ask, where you get those metal gears?
Is that a EVO5 gearbox with TB04 diff? Internal ratio?
I know that EVO4 had some metal gear as hop up. Never saw the propeller gear made out of metal until now...

Last edited by Tom1977; 04-17-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, correct,its my tb evo 5 modified chassis with tb04 gear diff.
all metal gear is unknown brand name and need to make some mods to suit the diff case. The front and rear propeller joints also need to mod and add shims too.Its still under testing and I will share or make some copy later.

Last edited by walrusjon; 04-17-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service