Tamiya TB 05 Pro >

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Like Tree299Likes

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Old 03-06-2020, 12:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,
Ive enjoyed reading this thread so much that
Ive recently built a TB-05 as my first touring car.
Iím only racing against mates in car parks so nothing to serious.

Iíve set the car up with a Tamiya super stock TZ brushed motor to try and keeps costs down which seems to be providing a good amount of power with the standard gearing. However, Iím finding the brushes are not lasting very long.

So Iím now looking to get a brushless motor but Iím unsure which to consider.

Ideally Iíd like a similar amount of power to the SS TZ.
Iíve just got a 100C 2S 7500mAh lipo so the battery should be an issue.
I do have a spare Tamiya Tbl-02 brushless esc I could use if itís suitable but donít mind buying another esc if required.

So far Iím considering 10.5t and 13.5t Hobbywing xerun bandit motors but Iím unsure how they would compare to the SS TZ, and what their ESC requirements are, and if they are overkill for casual carpark adventures.

What would you suggest?

Cheers
N
Old 03-06-2020, 05:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MicroHeli-Nut View Post
Hi freaky321,

did you have to bore additional holes in the bottom deck ?

Thanks.
Sorry for the late response....But yes I have drilled 2 extra holes into the bottom off the chassis
Old 03-06-2020, 05:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
In general more castor will reduce initial steering response, more suited for large tracks with smooth corners. In a way the car is less responsive and easier to drive at speed.

Less caster provides better turn in for quick, tight corners.
Indeed ,I run my tb05 on a small track,with tight corners.It runs great with the 4 degrees c hubs
Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 AM
Gko
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Demis View Post
Hi all,

Iíve set the car up with a Tamiya super stock TZ brushed motor to try and keeps costs down which seems to be providing a good amount of power with the standard gearing. However, Iím finding the brushes are not lasting very long.

I do have a spare Tamiya Tbl-02 brushless esc I could use if itís suitable but donít mind buying another esc if required.

So far Iím considering 10.5t and 13.5t Hobbywing xerun bandit motors but Iím unsure how they would compare to the SS TZ, and what their ESC requirements are, and if they are overkill for casual carpark adventures.

What would you suggest?

Cheers
N
I suggest Hobbywing XR10 Justock G2.1 combo (motor+esc) 17.5T or 13.5T.
Good quality and reliability.
I think a 10.5T has too much power, if you are a beginner and you don't have shimmed perfectly the gear, you would risk tearing gear.
rippen likes this.

Last edited by Gko; 03-09-2020 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Demis View Post
Hi all,

What would you suggest?

Cheers
N
Get a motor with MORE turns than a 13.5T. Most 13.5's I have seen spec. around 3000 RPM/Volt (KV). Also choose a motor that has sensors in it.

Last edited by NCHPIboy; 03-09-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Gko View Post
I suggest Hobbywing XR10 Justock G2.1 combo (motor+esc) 17.5T or 13.5T.
Good quality and reliability.
I think a 10.5T has too much power, if you are a beginner and you don't have shimmed perfectly the gear, you would risk tearing gear.
Thanks, They seem like a good option.
If I go for this Hobbywing setup what FDR would you recommend for the 17.5t and the 13.5t?

Am I right thinking they would have 3-4 times more torque than the brushed super stock?

I definitely donít want to over power it, and it sounds like a 10.5 would be just that. I briefly tried the super stock motor on a 3s lipo and it was crazy- just constant wheel spin (obviously way more voltage than the motors designed for).

I have shimmed the diffs to remove some slop but probably not perfectly. Iíve also shimmed the steering

I also found the standard servo mount had loads of flex which Iíve combated by putting a long screw down through the side member of the chassis on to one of the servo mounting bolt heads clamping the servo in. This made a huge difference.
rippen likes this.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey freaky321,
thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or at least get a real 13.5 (3700kV)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is there anyone who tried tb05 pro and Evo 7 and could comment if Evo 7 is so much faster or not? I am racing 13.5t super stock class with t4 2020 but as a old Tamiya guy would like to buy one of them and enjoy in our local right carpet track. Please also consider that Evo 7 is not in stock nowadays and if tb05 pro needs too many mods to reach Evo 7 price tag. Kindly awaiting for your responses thanks

​​​​​​
Old 04-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duzgit View Post
Is there anyone who tried tb05 pro and Evo 7 and could comment if Evo 7 is so much faster or not? I am racing 13.5t super stock class with t4 2020 but as a old Tamiya guy would like to buy one of them and enjoy in our local right carpet track. Please also consider that Evo 7 is not in stock nowadays and if tb05 pro needs too many mods to reach Evo 7 price tag. Kindly awaiting for your responses thanks

​​​​​​
I have both, with the TB05 being a scratch build from stock and option parts. In my opinion although the TB05 is a good car, but carpet is more demanding on the chassis in terms of rigidity and flex characteristics, fighting grip roll, etc. that the TB05 cannot compare with the Evo7, the chassis is just too soft. So the Evo7 would perform better, ending up faster.

Even with the Evo7, some sort of top deck (either PSM or discontinued RCLabHK) is highly recommended on carpet, it makes the car much more responsive.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I donít know if I can even call it a TB05 any more?

Full Exotek 6.2 package. Exo6 Aluminium chassis, Bezerk RC custom cut center brace, bumper brace, top deck to support ARS, and towers. Xray plastics and ULP shocks. Hopefully I can get it on the rug sooner than later

Old 04-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Myself if you do the Exotek conversion, why didn't you just buy a evo 6 or 7. The whole idea of the TB-05 is to experience that chassis platform in it's self and see what tuning skills you have as a driver

Just my own opinion
Old 04-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I actually built the car from scratch. Never purchased a kit. Just all the parts I needed combined with what I had on hand. Figured I post about it in the TB05 thread since thatís the base chassis for the conversion from Exotek.

But, I reality youíre not wrong. The car as it sits is really more an Exo 6 than anything
rippen and Jeff H like this.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi All!

I just ordered a TB05 Pro to get back into racing after a 15+ year hiatus! I'm super excited to relearn everything and it was a joy to read through this entire thread. There are a couple things i'm still trying to wrap my head around and one of them is the Tamiya Aluminum Adjustable Suspension mounts. I understand basically how the function but confused about the naming convention and which width matches the original design. If you had to get a single set for the front and rear of the car which mounts would you get? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedochang View Post
Hi All!

I just ordered a TB05 Pro to get back into racing after a 15+ year hiatus! I'm super excited to relearn everything and it was a joy to read through this entire thread. There are a couple things i'm still trying to wrap my head around and one of them is the Tamiya Aluminum Adjustable Suspension mounts. I understand basically how the function but confused about the naming convention and which width matches the original design. If you had to get a single set for the front and rear of the car which mounts would you get? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
The front inner mounts are A / XA and the front-front is 1A........The rear inner mounts are A / XA and the rears-rear is D1...... I have those exact mounts but in aluminum on my TB05 and it's on rails. The letter and number determines the amount of toe and anti-squat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.