Like Tree177Likes

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Old 09-04-2019, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I used to take the motor out, and remove the tires, So I could spin the drive train. I would watch the Ring gear for any run-out, i.e. if it was warped or true. I did notice that if I did not tighten the ring gear down evenly in a star pattern, and if I had tightened any screw tighter than the others, it would lead to a bit of distortion. also be mindful that the shaft both front and rear that support and drives the pinion gear can become damaged in a crash, bent. So take that out and check it as well. You may be able to eyeball it while in the car as well without the spool of diff in. Hope this helps a bit.
rippen and NCHPIboy like this.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NCHPIboy View Post
Hello to all-
Last Saturday between heats I had to replace the 40 tooth ring gear and the 16 tooth bevel gear on my front spool. There was a slight clicking noise up front.
The gears were the option carbon graphite and they only lasted two weekends.
Any tips to prevent this?
Do I need to shim the spool differently than what the instructions say?
Thanks in advance!
I would only follow the shimming in the manual as a starting point. On the input shaft I make sure the pinion gear has as little play as possible on the shaft by using 3mm shims in the bottom of the gear (cross pin recess), so when the e-clip is attached it stresses the gear to prevent movement. Then try to shim the mesh between the pinion and ring gear with the 5mm and 10mm shims, they should be as close together as possible with minimal backlash. However, since the gears will always have some kind of runout or distortion, rotate and check on 4 to 5 spots around the gear to make sure they all have minimum play without binding.

You should shim by trial and error with the top and bottom diff case attached, also check if the diff bearings are seated too tight or loose when the case is tightened. Sometimes the bearings are loose and this allows the diff/spool to shift and strip gear on collision.
rippen likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
I would only follow the shimming in the manual as a starting point. On the input shaft I make sure the pinion gear has as little play as possible on the shaft by using 3mm shims in the bottom of the gear (cross pin recess), so when the e-clip is attached it stresses the gear to prevent movement. Then try to shim the mesh between the pinion and ring gear with the 5mm and 10mm shims, they should be as close together as possible with minimal backlash. However, since the gears will always have some kind of runout or distortion, rotate and check on 4 to 5 spots around the gear to make sure they all have minimum play without binding.

You should shim by trial and error with the top and bottom diff case attached, also check if the diff bearings are seated too tight or loose when the case is tightened. Sometimes the bearings are loose and this allows the diff/spool to shift and strip gear on collision.
Thank you for your reply. checking the bevel gear and bearing is something I had not considered. Glad I asked!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Is there an aluminum chassis for the EXO6.2?
Old 09-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Is there an aluminum chassis for the EXO6.2?
I'm testing a shorter wheelbase alloy chassis but I'm not sure if anything will be produced right now.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I'm testing a shorter wheelbase alloy chassis but I'm not sure if anything will be produced right now.

😕
Old 09-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Will the EXO6 alloy chassis work?
Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Some new tuning parts arrived today.

Aluminium spur gear holder is not silver as shown in product photos. Its golden hard anodized.

Still waiting for the rear aluminium damper mount #54905...

The new adjustable ackermann steering set #54923 is already listed too for 50 but not available now and no product photos. Wonder what is included for 50 bucks. I guess complete new designed steering arm unit...
Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

Will the EXO6 alloy chassis work?

Yes, Bottom plates are pretty much the same.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:08 AM
Tech Rookie

I recently hit the right wheel of my TB-05 and my front upright broke. I could find a replacement online for the uprights, but the problem is 2 small metal parts went missing (hollow cylinders). They were coded BC10 and BC11 in the manual and went into the wheel hub top and bottom. Any idea where I could buy these spares? I couldn't find them anywhere for sale.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Erathis View Post
I recently hit the right wheel of my TB-05 and my front upright broke. I could find a replacement online for the uprights, but the problem is 2 small metal parts went missing (hollow cylinders). They were coded BC10 and BC11 in the manual and went into the wheel hub top and bottom. Any idea where I could buy these spares? I couldn't find them anywhere for sale.
I found the part BC10 on EBay. Search for: Tamiya 51100
Erathis likes this.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I found the part BC10 on EBay. Search for: Tamiya 51100
Awesome, thanks for the part number. Any idea what the code might be for BC11 (4.5x4.0mm)? The only alternative I found is 51101, which is the top part for the TB Evo IV and it includes the flanged tube on the ball-head king pin. Not sure if it fits the TB-05 though.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:34 AM
Tech Initiate

For part BC11: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=1731
I did a Google search for : Tamiya 19808021 and got some results. Good Luck !
Erathis likes this.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Awesome, thanks for the part number. Any idea what the code might be for BC11 (4.5x4.0mm)? The only alternative I found is 51101, which is the top part for the TB Evo IV and it includes the flanged tube on the ball-head king pin. Not sure if it fits the TB-05 though.
Erathis likes this.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:42 AM
Tech Initiate

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-dig...ed-tube-58345/
Erathis likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service