Tamiya TB 05 Pro >

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Like Tree299Likes

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Old 08-05-2019, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NCHPIboy View Post
No need for a fan. I'm adjusting the gearing with a temp gun.
What motor are you running, I was going to run a 21.5 fix timing Hobbywing (track rules) that's why i'm asking
Old 08-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
A video showing the slop you're complaining about would help us make useful suggestions.
I just finished my build and noticed steering slop as well. I tried adding shims between the bridge and steering arms but the slop remained identical. I feel like its caused by slack in-between the screw and bearings and also the cup joints themselves.

https://youtu.be/4O0uW2ynncs
rippen likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Erathis View Post
I just finished my build and noticed steering slop as well. I tried adding shims between the bridge and steering arms but the slop remained identical. I feel like its caused by slack in-between the screw and bearings and also the cup joints themselves.

https://youtu.be/4O0uW2ynncs
Video shows two kind of slop. The slop in the outer steering arms is pretty normal. It's an addition of all tolerances in the complete steering unit down to servo. The second slop in the steering arm bridge is not normal. I've the same aluminium unit, but I have no such slop in it. But i shimmed everthing in this unit from beginning (bridge and arms).

Seems, something with the bearings is wrong. Maybe two countersunk screws in the bridge would help to center the bearings (kit are flatscrews).

Main problem with basically all Tamiya steering units is, that technically they are using the wrong bearings (ball bearings have slop with longitudinal forces). In a steering unit something like a thrust bearing or cone bearing would be better solution.
rippen and Erathis like this.

Last edited by Tom1977; 08-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rippen View Post
What motor are you running, I was going to run a 21.5 fix timing Hobbywing (track rules) that's why i'm asking
There is no motor limit in the class I'm trying out at my LHS.
The motor is a Hobbywing Quicrun 3650 8.5 turn 4560 rpm/Volt.
My starting FDR is 8.4:1 but I will need to adjust for motor temperature.
rippen likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

I recently installed the new drive shafts (#54901/54902). Its basically the same pilot used already in TB Evo 7. New shafts are thinner than original dogbone shafts. Instead of grub screws I used axle rings (#9804802) and the new light weight cross joints (#42321). I've made no old/new weight comparison (sorry I forgot it), but it should be slightly lighter than the kit dogbone style shafts/steel pilots.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
Video shows two kind of slop. The slop in the outer steering arms is pretty normal. It's an addition of all tolerances in the complete steering unit down to servo. The second slop in the steering arm bridge is not normal. I've the same aluminium unit, but I have no such slop in it. But i shimmed everthing in this unit from beginning (bridge and arms).

Seems, something with the bearings is wrong. Maybe two countersunk screws in the bridge would help to center the bearings (kit are flatscrews).

Main problem with basically all Tamiya steering units is, that technically they are using the wrong bearings (ball bearings have slop with longitudinal forces). In a steering unit something like a thrust bearing or cone bearing would be better solution.
Thank you for the tips. I opened up the steering and kept playing with shims and tried countersunk screws. I was able to reduce the vertical slop but not entirely. I can live with it as it is.

I noticed a different problem though and I was wondering if anyone else encountered it. My front wheels touch the plastic arm when turned. This causes a lot of vibration and the arm is practically getting slowly shaved. Video below

https://youtu.be/XEyC0-_dRSk
Old 08-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you for the tips. I opened up the steering and kept playing with shims and tried countersunk screws. I was able to reduce the vertical slop but not entirely. I can live with it as it is.

I noticed a different problem though and I was wondering if anyone else encountered it. My front wheels touch the plastic arm when turned. This causes a lot of vibration and the arm is practically getting slowly shaved. Video below

Pretty normal issue with 6 degree caster blocks and 0mm offset wheels.

Tamiyas official solution:

Erathis likes this.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you can can try adjusting the end points so you’re not straining the steering so much.
Erathis likes this.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I used thin hex wheel spacers on my fronts to clear the steering hub. Its related to the wheel offset some how. The kit wheels did not rub on my model but my Sweep racing Pre-Mounts did.
The Tamiya part for the spacer is 53646.
Erathis likes this.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by V8 Rumble View Post

you can can try adjusting the end points so you’re not straining the steering so much.
I installed the Tamiya Double Cardan Joint Shafts and there is ZERO vibration now. Super smooth.
part number 42216
rippen, freaky321 and Erathis like this.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I recently installed the new drive shafts (#54901/54902). Its basically the same pilot used already in TB Evo 7. New shafts are thinner than original dogbone shafts. Instead of grub screws I used axle rings (#9804802) and the new light weight cross joints (#42321). I've made no old/new weight comparison (sorry I forgot it), but it should be slightly lighter than the kit dogbone style shafts/steel pilots.

is it the same as the new Tamiya TB05 kit? Are they using one part number for both chassis 54901?
A bit weird as its not on there parts matching list?

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54901/index.htm
Old 08-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
is it the same as the new Tamiya TB05 kit? Are they using one part number for both chassis 54901?
A bit weird as its not on there parts matching list?

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54901/index.htm
Yes #54901 for front motor configuration or #54902 for rear. I've both sets. Photos show #54901 installed. It's pretty new hop up. I think Tamiya has not updated the matching list.
rippen likes this.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default New upgrades

Some new parts will arrive soon!

54904 TB-05 Onepiece Motor Plate Source: Tamiya Inc., Japan.

54905 TB-05 Aluminum Rear Damper Stay Mount Source: Tamiya Inc., Japan.

54903 TB-05 Aluminum Spur Gear Holder Source: Tamiya Inc., Japan.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Some new parts will arrive soon!

54904 TB-05 Onepiece Motor Plate Source: Tamiya Inc., Japan.

54905 TB-05 Aluminum Rear Damper Stay Mount Source: Tamiya Inc., Japan.

54903 TB-05 Aluminum Spur Gear Holder Source: Tamiya Inc., Japan.
Other than color; what is the difference between 54903 and the kit part?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NCHPIboy View Post
Other than color; what is the difference between 54903 and the kit part?
Kit is steel, 54903 will be aluminium.
NCHPIboy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.