Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB 05 Pro >

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Like Tree293Likes

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Old 07-08-2019, 01:01 PM
  #226  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Commerce Twp. MI
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CL View Post
Yes, the plastic diff gears would go out on the first battery pack. You need the steel gears below.
https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=7300
Will do, thanks for the quick response
rippen is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 04:40 AM
  #227  
Tech Apprentice
 
NumptyRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 83
Default

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
Why are the plastic diff gears any issue? All top level TC's are plastic with good power never an issue or is it a Tamiya Shaft car diff related issue?
The internal diff gears are quite small, smaller than 419/TB07 gears. I've just had to replace mine after 5 meetings, and I'm only running a torque tuned motor on a slippery floor although there is a little bit of contact!

NumptyRacing is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM
  #228  
Tech Addict
 
Tom1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Munich
Posts: 569
Default

Originally Posted by NumptyRacing View Post
The internal diff gears are quite small, smaller than 419/TB07 gears. I've just had to replace mine after 5 meetings, and I'm only running a torque tuned motor on a slippery floor although there is a little bit of contact!
And they are made of normal plastic, not the ultra hard white plastic used in TRF419 diff...

All diffs from my shafties have steel internals from the beginning. Install and forget.
MikeR and freaky321 like this.
Tom1977 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:51 PM
  #229  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brea, Ca
Posts: 136
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
And they are made of normal plastic, not the ultra hard white plastic used in TRF419 diff...

All diffs from my shafties have steel internals from the beginning. Install and forget.
Agreed. I had the plastic originals and they lasted a few runs with a strong 17.5. Afterwards I installed the metal gears and no issues. I would also get the new alloy diff case and your diff will be bullet proof.
rippen and freaky321 like this.
EB Racer is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 PM
  #230  
Tech Regular
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 497
Default

Thanks for the info. That sucks.. I hate extra rotating weight lol.. but if you can't finish a main then none of that matters :P
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:58 PM
  #231  
Tech Regular
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 497
Default

I have run Hahn truck 4 hour endurance with a 17.5 brushless though... With Aw grease only in the diffs and it took it like a champ :O Step it up on your TB game Tamiya
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:36 PM
  #232  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Commerce Twp. MI
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

What motor position is everyone running for high grip carpet, front or rear
rippen is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM
  #233  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brea, Ca
Posts: 136
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rippen View Post
What motor position is everyone running for high grip carpet, front or rear
I know you asked about carpet, BUT, I ran both versions on asphalt and the front motor position is way better. It was almost like being just on the edge of good performance with the rear position to being on rails with the front position. I drove on carpet with the front position and I was not able to find a good set up in a short period of time.
rippen likes this.
EB Racer is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:29 AM
  #234  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Commerce Twp. MI
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EB Racer View Post
I know you asked about carpet, BUT, I ran both versions on asphalt and the front motor position is way better. It was almost like being just on the edge of good performance with the rear position to being on rails with the front position. I drove on carpet with the front position and I was not able to find a good set up in a short period of time.
Thanks for the info, it helps
rippen is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM
  #235  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brea, Ca
Posts: 136
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rippen View Post
Thanks for the info, it helps
In the spirit of helping, I also noticed that the photos above in previous posts show the carbon chassis supports screwed in along each available hole. This hop-up is absolute magic. If you change which holes to screw into and attach to the base chassis, you are able to alter the flex characteristics tremendously. I run the front screw and the outside rear screw only and it stiffens up the chassis just a little. I have also raced my best laps without that hop up attached at all. With all of the screws in, there is very little flex, and that might be good on black carpet plus using the blue tamiya springs. Just another 2 cents. Dang, I might already have 36 cents invested in my advice!
rippen and garnt like this.
EB Racer is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 AM
  #236  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Default

Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
And they are made of normal plastic, not the ultra hard white plastic used in TRF419 diff...

All diffs from my shafties have steel internals from the beginning. Install and forget.
Yes this is the main issue,its the quality off plastics,that is the main issue.I run my tb05 also with steel gears and also the Also diff housing and iT runs like a breeze.Also the diff runs smoother..Only thing,you need too shim the diff.At least I had too do that.
rippen likes this.
freaky321 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:31 AM
  #237  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Commerce Twp. MI
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EB Racer View Post
In the spirit of helping, I also noticed that the photos above in previous posts show the carbon chassis supports screwed in along each available hole. This hop-up is absolute magic. If you change which holes to screw into and attach to the base chassis, you are able to alter the flex characteristics tremendously. I run the front screw and the outside rear screw only and it stiffens up the chassis just a little. I have also raced my best laps without that hop up attached at all. With all of the screws in, there is very little flex, and that might be good on black carpet plus using the blue tamiya springs. Just another 2 cents. Dang, I might already have 36 cents invested in my advice!
Great advice, I also ordered the chassis stiffiners and carbon fiber shock tower's

PS an IOU on the 36 cents
rippen is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 AM
  #238  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 84
Default

Originally Posted by EB Racer View Post
In the spirit of helping, I also noticed that the photos above in previous posts show the carbon chassis supports screwed in along each available hole. This hop-up is absolute magic. If you change which holes to screw into and attach to the base chassis, you are able to alter the flex characteristics tremendously. I run the front screw and the outside rear screw only and it stiffens up the chassis just a little. I have also raced my best laps without that hop up attached at all. With all of the screws in, there is very little flex, and that might be good on black carpet plus using the blue tamiya springs. Just another 2 cents. Dang, I might already have 36 cents invested in my advice!

I run the Carbon reinforced chassis and Carbon braces on Tarmac, no problems here.but we have an technical corners on oud track and iT really helps. The chassis response is direct

Only problem with the tb05 I have is the Steering slob and Ihave not been able too elaminate this.Because the servo mount also moves when I move the steering wheel on my transmitter..
freaky321 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 PM
  #239  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Commerce Twp. MI
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

What size sway bar do you guys run front and rear
rippen is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 AM
  #240  
Tech Master
 
Nicadrauspro4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A., Italy
Posts: 1,074
Default

Originally Posted by freaky321 View Post



I run the Carbon reinforced chassis and Carbon braces on Tarmac, no problems here.but we have an technical corners on oud track and iT really helps. The chassis response is direct

Only problem with the tb05 I have is the Steering slob and Ihave not been able too elaminate this.Because the servo mount also moves when I move the steering wheel on my transmitter..
You might want to change your servo mounts to aluminum. That should be helpful and firm.
rippen likes this.
Nicadrauspro4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.