Thx James keep us updated on the those parts thx
wheruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #257
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobiUSA-James View Post
i dont think another diff will work. If anyone else has tried another diff, please chime in.

Avid parts are more widely available then it was a year ago. You can have your local hobby store contact me directly. I will be more than happy to set them up as a dealer. This way you can get parts faster and easier. It will also help on shipping. My number is 1-949-705-6668. There are no minimums and we do special orders.
ok thanks ill talk to my lhs about ordering parts. kinda hard to go to the hobby shop when its an hour away and i dont have my permet yet Thanks again and cant wait till i race.
RC TTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobiUSA-James View Post
harryn, we will be getting the carpet chassis and top plate at the end of the month. those will be the main items you need to make the Avid a competitive carpet car.
Hey James,

It is not only the top and main chassis pieces. That prototype looks like it is easier to maintain and setup. Look at the roll center adjustments on the shock towers versus the ones we have now. To adjust ours, you have to remove the diff to get the screw and move it over then reassemble. It is a world of pain. It gets even more frustrating when you are more in the pit than out practicing and playing with setups.

Other than that, the car is damn great. Not too crazy about where the steering servo sits or how the steering is setup, but it is a car with potential.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #259
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Hey James,

It is not only the top and main chassis pieces. That prototype looks like it is easier to maintain and setup. Look at the roll center adjustments on the shock towers versus the ones we have now. To adjust ours, you have to remove the diff to get the screw and move it over then reassemble. It is a world of pain. It gets even more frustrating when you are more in the pit than out practicing and playing with setups.

Other than that, the car is damn great. Not too crazy about where the steering servo sits or how the steering is setup, but it is a car with potential.

Not really. You can swing the carbon plate out if you only take the screws towards the motor out and just release the other two. That allows just enough room to put a screwdriver from underneath to undo the balljoint screw and work on the links.

But there is a major improvement in the fact that now the bulkheads have caps over the diff bearing holders as many of the other cars on the market. This is going to make a huge difference when working on the diffs indeed.

Another old feature is present which has all but disappeared in other cars. That is the rear bulkhead which is one with the motor mount. Tamiya (and others) have worked out that the car has more flexibility if these are separate, and have changed their designs accordingly. I think this was the way to go for the Avid too.

Another thing I find annoying with the current Avid is the whole spur assembly with the center pulleys which is a pain to service. This should have been modified to be in line with standard designs too I think. There is no point to making peoples life difficult and I feel inclined to modify it to accept a standard assembly to make my life easier.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #260
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Not really. You can swing the carbon plate out if you only take the screws towards the motor out and just release the other two. That allows just enough room to put a screwdriver from underneath to undo the balljoint screw and work on the links.
What AVID are you talking about? The carbon plates were a bear to put in from all the parts fitting I had to do, not to mention unbend the bulkhead/motor mount plate so it can fit onto the chassis. The carbon fiber braces had to be shaved down in order to fit. Unless I got a dud car, I don't follow what you are talking about. Swinging them out is not possible. They are a tight fit as it is.

But yes, I also agree about the center pulley. It could have been done much better than the way it is now.

The car in its current form is great for asphalt racing and possibly foam. But not for carpet until that prototype chassis comes out. I just wish they changed the steering servo position as well. The position it is in now is ripe for binding if you hit a wall wrong or get T-boned.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #261
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
What AVID are you talking about? The carbon plates were a bear to put in from all the parts fitting I had to do, not to mention unbend the bulkhead/motor mount plate so it can fit onto the chassis. The carbon fiber braces had to be shaved down in order to fit. Unless I got a dud car, I don't follow what you are talking about. Swinging them out is not possible. They are a tight fit as it is.
The old Avid. But it's true, the front carbon plates swing out as I explained above, the rears have to have both screws (front and rear) taken out and then they slide out. Not easy, but doable. I have done it. If I had to take the diff out every time I would sell the car instantly.

And I know what you're talking about with the tight fit of the parts. After sealing everything with superglue, things don't get any easier either. But with patience (and a bit of grease) it gets better. I think some of these parts are manufactured to a very tight fit and it's possible that being so skinny they get distorted easily. This is some homework for Robitronic to get on to.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #262
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
The old Avid. But it's true, the front carbon plates swing out as I explained above, the rears have to have both screws (front and rear) taken out and then they slide out. Not easy, but doable. I have done it. If I had to take the diff out every time I would sell the car instantly.

And I know what you're talking about with the tight fit of the parts. After sealing everything with superglue, things don't get any easier either. But with patience (and a bit of grease) it gets better. I think some of these parts are manufactured to a very tight fit and it's possible that being so skinny they get distorted easily. This is some homework for Robitronic to get on to.
+1
Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #263
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Hay just wanted to thank all the guys that helped me out i am glad i can get parts and not have to sell it Thanks DJ
RC TTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #264
Tech Apprentice

The carpet chassis and top deck have just arrived. Order yours now!
www.facebook.com/robitronicusa
www.myspace.com/robitronic_usa
RobiUSA-James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #265
Tech Initiate

Where can you pick up spare parts?
airborneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #266
Tech Initiate

What are the teeth sizes of the diff and center pulleys?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #267
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneranger View Post
What are the teeth sizes of the diff and center pulleys?
Not sure, but they're the same size as every other pulley on the market. Compare the belts if you want to those off a TA05 or whatever other car you happen to have handy and you'll see. Thank god, at least that's the same on all cars.

One diff that should be a good replacement for the rear Avid diff is that found on Kawada cars, but don't quote me on this one. The similarity is that both have the pulley in the centre. The problem may be in the distance between the outer bearings (the big ones) which may be smaller on the Kawada diff (single belt car, right down the centre).
The front being offset should allow more options as there are a number of cars with similar diffs.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #268
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneranger View Post
Where can you pick up spare parts?
you can contact your local or favorite hobby store. if they dont have it, have them contact us. we can get them setup with parts easily.

Online, you can try http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebcategory.asp?id=679 . Anyone else want to chime in on where they get their parts?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #269
Tech Initiate

What are the tooth sizes of the diff and layshaft pulleys?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #270
Tech Apprentice

The Avid wins the RCGT Showdown sportsmen class: http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=254743 .