Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Robitronic Avid Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

James- when installing the spool do you still use the blades? when i tried to install the shafts with blades into outdrive cups the sleeve makes it really hard to push shaft in so i didnt use them. could that be the reason for the chatter too.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigb11
Anybody looking for a 3.5mm chassis and 3.0mm top plate, the part numbers are RA1965 and RA1964. THESE ITEMS ARE FOR THE CARPET CONVERSION. They can be ordered from SK MOTION.
I KNEW IT!! I KNEW IT!!

The car seemed WAY too stiff to be for carpet rubber. But on asphalt, this car should perform wonderfully.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

James- Sorry for the all the questions but on the front spool is their a left and right side or does it not matter. Well got my front diff and low friction belts (not white in color anymore mines are black?) from SpeedTech (A++ Service) hopefully ill make it down this sunday!!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wheruat
James- when installing the spool do you still use the blades? when i tried to install the shafts with blades into outdrive cups the sleeve makes it really hard to push shaft in so i didnt use them. could that be the reason for the chatter too.
you do not the need to use the blades on the spool.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

James- Sorry for the all the questions but on the front spool is their a left and right side or does it not matter. Well got my front diff and low friction belts (not white in color anymore mines are black?) from SpeedTech (A++ Service) hopefully ill make it down this sunday!!
the plastic side should be on the driver side (left). the aluminum side should be on the passenger side (right).

see if you can come race with us. its only $20 and its lots of fun.

Last edited by RobiUSA-James; 02-25-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RobiUSA-James
The blades are a wear and tear item. When you over-stretch the blade while installing it, it will weaken the structure of the blade and possibly break. If you have taken it on and off before, it will weaken the blade.

The car was designed to have a little play in the c-hubs. It was meant to keep the car straight on uneven surfaces.
About the blades, I have only put those on as explained (it was the first time I run the car), so I thought they should have lasted a bit more, judging by previous experience with other cars (Xray, Tamiya, Kawada, HPI, Yokomo). Besides, the blades cracked on the side, at the point the diff outdrive pushes against it when driving the car, so it can not be anything to do with the way they are stretched when installed. I think the plastic just didn't resist being squashed between the diff outdrive and the driveshaft pin. This would suggest it is a manufacturing flaw.

As for the front hub play, this is way too much play, I think. Tamiya has some play too, but nowhere near that much. Other cars such as Yokomo have barely any play at all. True, the play doesn't seem to affect the car in an adverse way, but still, doesn't feel right. There are two factors which compound here. One is that the hinge pin hole (in the C hub) is larger than the hinge pin, and the second is that the C hub can slide about 1mm forward and and back on the hingepin. I suppose I could shim it, but shims down there are a pain in the butt to put in when assembling/servicing the car.

Last edited by niznai; 02-27-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

niznai, you have a PM (private message).
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

does any one know where i could get a new diff i got the car and the diff is toast. Thanks DJ
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

RC TTwins-you can go to speedtech website they have parts and good service.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

RC TTwins-you can go to speedtech website they have parts and good service.
ok thanks i hope to get it up and running soon.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HarryN
Well, I started assembling the car and 4 hours later, I have stopped at building the shocks. This car has been a bear to build from all the fitting I had to do, namely with number 10. It seems like the left housing (the longer piece) is bent since the carbon fiber brace did not fit on properly until I shaved down the carbon fiber. Furthermore, I have blisters on my palm from screwing in the ball joints. The plastic is very very hard!! It makes me think it is quite brittle since there is barely any flex. The body posts are similar with the brittle and hard plastic.

The biggest complaint I have about the kit thus far is the rear diff assembly. You have to GLUE THE RING onto the gear. That does not give me the warm and fuzzy namely because if something happens and that ring gives way, it could cost more than a ring for the rear diff. If there is a hop-up or a differential that fits this car for the rear, I am definitely going to get it.

The way the rear belt and front belt are so close to eachother is not giving me the warm and fuzzy. The picture that Gonzo posted is not what is shown on my car. The belts are extremely close to eachother. Hopefully it changes after running the car, but right now, I am not feeling it.

I will complete the car tomorrow. I spent most of my time straightening parts out, pre-fitting them in (especially on instruction 10), like as if I was building a Serpent VETEQ all over again. I would have completed the assembly of the car by now, but I am not liking pre-fitting everything. 4 hours is quite long for me.

I will say that the car looks pretty. But we'll see how it drives, sets up, and breaks. The setup of this car is definitely going to be a chore when trying to dial in the car for my track. I am not looking forward to it. Everything is very counter-intuitive. Prime example being about setting the camber. You have to hold the screw underneath the carbon fiber support on the rear diff baces, which is blocked by the diff axles that come out and block the screws on the carbon fiber support. It could be a safety measure, I do not know. I am keeping my fingers crossed it performs.
i have the same problem with the rear diff. i got it used from a friend an apparently he put too much ca and the rear diff will not fit.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC TTwins
i have the same problem with the rear diff. i got it used from a friend an apparently he put too much ca and the rear diff will not fit.
Not sure what ca glue means here (I believe cyanoacrylate glue aka crazy glue or instant glue), so I'll just drop in my suggestion. I used contact adhesive. This is more sticky and flexible. I had the same problem with the diffs in other cars in the past, so I stopped using instant glue and switched to contact adhesive. This never lets go even on some of the plastics where instant glue doesn't really adhere very well and when dry just comes off (in time or some accident).
Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by niznai
Not sure what ca glue means here (I believe cyanoacrylate glue aka crazy glue or instant glue), so I'll just drop in my suggestion. I used contact adhesive. This is more sticky and flexible. I had the same problem with the diffs in other cars in the past, so I stopped using instant glue and switched to contact adhesive. This never lets go even on some of the plastics where instant glue doesn't really adhere very well and when dry just comes off (in time or some accident).
ok thanks 1 more ? does anyone know if another diff would work because i dont feel like buyin a diff for 60 than having to pay a lot for shipping from a different continent or even space
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

i dont think another diff will work. If anyone else has tried another diff, please chime in.

Avid parts are more widely available then it was a year ago. You can have your local hobby store contact me directly. I will be more than happy to set them up as a dealer. This way you can get parts faster and easier. It will also help on shipping. My number is 1-949-705-6668. There are no minimums and we do special orders.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobiUSA-James
i dont think another diff will work. If anyone else has tried another diff, please chime in.

Avid parts are more widely available then it was a year ago. You can have your local hobby store contact me directly. I will be more than happy to set them up as a dealer. This way you can get parts faster and easier. It will also help on shipping. My number is 1-949-705-6668. There are no minimums and we do special orders.
Hey James,

Any news on the new version of the AVID car? Also, the carpet setup parts for the current AVID, is this for carpet foam or rubber foam? Is it only the chassis bottom plate and top plate or are there are things?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.