R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #211
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DJGonzo69

Harry- This is what James sent me awhile back.
You can see the center pulley close to the battery.
Also the pics I sent you will not be exactly the same as James, since I was using a different Lipo pack. Not all Lipo packs are the same size. I have found that the SMC 4000mah fits the best.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #212
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGonzo69 View Post
Hey Gonzo,

I am looking at the far left side of the picture and see that there is barely any breathing room between the pulley and the battery. Now here is my concern and where you and James would be able to chime in (since I do not get my car until Saturday ), considering that this car is for rubber carpet given the slightly thinner chassis compared to a foam-based car, has any chassis flex caused the battery to rub on the pulley? Are there any coarse marks on the battery or pulley? I think I have an idea on how to mitigate that issue if there is any rubbing. I just want to confirm this part first with you guys.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #213
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DJGonzo69

Harry- If I use the SMC4000 Lipo the end of the pack sits infront of the pulley. It does not rub. If I use the Reedy 500mah Lipo it sits like the pic of James, but I like to put the pack as close to the center of the chassis for better handling. In turn you will be very close to the side of the pulley. That's why I say the SMC4000 fits better. I run stock & 10.5 class only, so battery run time is not an issue for me. I ran my asphalt set up on carpet & just dialed out my steering & it works great. So with very minimal setup change the car works on both platforms of racing.

-John
Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #214
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGonzo69 View Post
Harry- If I use the SMC4000 Lipo the end of the pack sits infront of the pulley. It does not rub. If I use the Reedy 500mah Lipo it sits like the pic of James, but I like to put the pack as close to the center of the chassis for better handling. In turn you will be very close to the side of the pulley. That's why I say the SMC4000 fits better. I run stock & 10.5 class only, so battery run time is not an issue for me. I ran my asphalt set up on carpet & just dialed out my steering & it works great. So with very minimal setup change the car works on both platforms of racing.

-John
Good to know John!

I downloaded the setup sheets from the AVID site. Would you happen to have one as well? I was thinking of starting off with the "all-around" setup as a baseline and then go up from there. It looks pretty modest enough.

Though I am also tempted to take what I read in the XXXMain Setup Guide book and apply that as my baseline setup and go from there. thank God I bought a setup board...
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #215
Tech Elite

Well, I started assembling the car and 4 hours later, I have stopped at building the shocks. This car has been a bear to build from all the fitting I had to do, namely with number 10. It seems like the left housing (the longer piece) is bent since the carbon fiber brace did not fit on properly until I shaved down the carbon fiber. Furthermore, I have blisters on my palm from screwing in the ball joints. The plastic is very very hard!! It makes me think it is quite brittle since there is barely any flex. The body posts are similar with the brittle and hard plastic.

The biggest complaint I have about the kit thus far is the rear diff assembly. You have to GLUE THE RING onto the gear. That does not give me the warm and fuzzy namely because if something happens and that ring gives way, it could cost more than a ring for the rear diff. If there is a hop-up or a differential that fits this car for the rear, I am definitely going to get it.

The way the rear belt and front belt are so close to eachother is not giving me the warm and fuzzy. The picture that Gonzo posted is not what is shown on my car. The belts are extremely close to eachother. Hopefully it changes after running the car, but right now, I am not feeling it.

I will complete the car tomorrow. I spent most of my time straightening parts out, pre-fitting them in (especially on instruction 10), like as if I was building a Serpent VETEQ all over again. I would have completed the assembly of the car by now, but I am not liking pre-fitting everything. 4 hours is quite long for me.

I will say that the car looks pretty. But we'll see how it drives, sets up, and breaks. The setup of this car is definitely going to be a chore when trying to dial in the car for my track. I am not looking forward to it. Everything is very counter-intuitive. Prime example being about setting the camber. You have to hold the screw underneath the carbon fiber support on the rear diff baces, which is blocked by the diff axles that come out and block the screws on the carbon fiber support. It could be a safety measure, I do not know. I am keeping my fingers crossed it performs.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #216
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey whats up everyone well i got me an Avid and just picked up the spool. seems like the spool doesnt work in this bad boy. the problem im having is it is binding up in the front and seems like it is causing the spur gear pulley to vibrate like crazy. is anyone having this problem with the front spool?? thx

i tried to take the red alum. sleeves off and shim the spool but same results and kinds of vibration!! $400 car and the freakin parts dont even fit! that shit sucks!! Not saying the car sucks just the spool i got.

Last edited by wheruat; 02-24-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: not bashing the car!! i love it
wheruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #217
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheruat View Post
hey whats up everyone well i got me an Avid and just picked up the spool. seems like the spool doesnt work in this bad boy. the problem im having is it is binding up in the front and seems like it is causing the spur gear pulley to vibrate like crazy. is anyone having this problem with the front spool?? thx

i tried to take the red alum. sleeves off and shim the spool but same results and kinds of vibration!! $400 car and the freakin parts dont even fit! that shit sucks!!
Wheruat, please check the bearing holders (right and left side) on the front bulkhead and make sure that the notch are both in same position.
www.facebook.com/robitronicusa
www.myspace.com/robitronic_usa
RobiUSA-James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #218
Tech Adept

James- Thx for the reply. i got the car from Speed Shop in Lawndale, Ca i always hear Mario talking about you over there. Ok ill check and see if the bearing holder notches are in the same place i want to say it was all the way forward or backwards.(front) i will also check the rears. If that doesnt fix the problem what do you think it could be and what should i do. when i put the one-way back in i had no problems. when the spool is installed i feel the chatter in the spur gear area and some in the front . do the belts make a difference too? also sorry for dumb question but what do the positions (notches) in the bearing holder do for the car? can you set them up in different notches to make the car react differently? thx for your help in advance.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

Anybody looking for a 3.5mm chassis and 3.0mm top plate, the part numbers are RA1965 and RA1964. THESE ITEMS ARE FOR THE CARPET CONVERSION. They can be ordered from SK MOTION.
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #220
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
James- Thx for the reply. i got the car from Speed Shop in Lawndale, Ca i always hear Mario talking about you over there. Ok ill check and see if the bearing holder notches are in the same place i want to say it was all the way forward or backwards.(front) i will also check the rears. If that doesnt fix the problem what do you think it could be and what should i do. when i put the one-way back in i had no problems. when the spool is installed i feel the chatter in the spur gear area and some in the front . do the belts make a difference too? also sorry for dumb question but what do the positions (notches) in the bearing holder do for the car? can you set them up in different notches to make the car react differently? thx for your help in advance.
the chatter is normal for all cars running a spool while cornering. the inside wheel wants to spin faster than the outer wheel. with the one-way, you are running freely, so you will not hear any noise.

the notches were created for belt tension. you want to run the belts as loose as possible without it slipping during acceleration. there are low friction belts available as well. mario can order them for you.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #221
Tech Adept

James- Thx for the help. The chattering does it usually come from the front spool area or in the mid-shaft area. i get some chatter in the front spool but mostly feel it in the mid-shaft area and its pretty bad. let me know yah i ordered the front diff and low friction belts front and rear. So the chatter is common when using the spool but can you feel it alot or just a little up front. Thx for your help
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #222
Tech Elite

Default First problems

I have recently run my Avid for the first time with a front one way and found only after a few minutes the front driveshaft cushions are broken already. This surprised me since I only run a 540 silvercan (on carpet).
I also found there is a lot of play in the front c-hubs at the bottom hingepin.
Did anyone else have the same experience?
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #223
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
James- Thx for the help. The chattering does it usually come from the front spool area or in the mid-shaft area. i get some chatter in the front spool but mostly feel it in the mid-shaft area and its pretty bad. let me know yah i ordered the front diff and low friction belts front and rear. So the chatter is common when using the spool but can you feel it alot or just a little up front. Thx for your help
From the sounds of it, it is from the spool. Do you hear the sound only when turning? If you hear it while turning, it is normal.

If you like, we will be attending an RCGT race in San Gabriel this Sunday. The event will be held at SpeedTech R/C and hosted by the OC Circuit. You are more than welcome to stop by and check out the Avid's. There should be about 3-5 Avid's running this weekend. Feel free to ask us any questions you may have or show us your car.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #224
Tech Adept

James- yah i just hear it and feel it when i turn. the chatter is so violent when turning the car shakes like crazy. Koo ill try to make it out this weekend to SpeedTech and check things out and see what the guys are doing with the Avid's thx for your support its A++ hope to see yah!!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #225
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I have recently run my Avid for the first time with a front one way and found only after a few minutes the front driveshaft cushions are broken already. This surprised me since I only run a 540 silvercan (on carpet).
I also found there is a lot of play in the front c-hubs at the bottom hingepin.
Did anyone else have the same experience?
The blades are a wear and tear item. When you over-stretch the blade while installing it, it will weaken the structure of the blade and possibly break. If you have taken it on and off before, it will weaken the blade.

The car was designed to have a little play in the c-hubs. It was meant to keep the car straight on uneven surfaces.