Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
From TA-02 to Infinity IF-14 plan >

From TA-02 to Infinity IF-14 plan

From TA-02 to Infinity IF-14 plan

Old 04-07-2018, 02:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Default From TA-02 to Infinity IF-14 plan

Hi all,

I recently came back to this hobby by buying a TA-02SW, mostly the same I had 20 years ago. The first day in the circuit I already felt I like it and I wanted to go the 1/10 TC way. I got a second hand IF-14, so that I don't get limited by the setup options.

My plan is as follows:

- Do one more day of running with the TA-02, I bought a new Carson Cup Machine (CCC from now on), so it will be a bit faster, and I will put some used Volante tires that came with the IF14. This will give me more experience with a bit faster car, still slow enough to learn in a progressive way. Still using NIMh batteries.

- Move the CCC to the IF-14, keep using the NIMh. Buy a new faster servo (I already felt the Futaba S3003 a tad slow, any suggestions here?). Start learning to set the car up.

- Buy LiPo batts, I guess it will go a bit faster. Keep improving driving and setup skills.

- Finally go for a 17.5T motor, also buy a decent ESC.

What do you think of this approach? I try to get the car a bit faster every session while keeping the costs down (or delaying buying parts for some weeks/months, until I know what I really need and spend the good money then). Will it work? Is it too slow? Is it stupid?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Since you already have the IF14, just get the IF14 up to racing specification.

Slowly upgrading your TA02 is a waste of time - it will not handle as well as the IF14 and has no realistic setup options, you will learn a lot more with the IF14 with a 17.5 than you will with the TA02. 17.5 is not really that fast so won't be hard to learn with.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Since you already have the IF14, just get the IF14 up to racing specification.

Slowly upgrading your TA02 is a waste of time - it will not handle as well as the IF14 and has no realistic setup options, you will learn a lot more with the IF14 with a 17.5 than you will with the TA02. 17.5 is not really that fast so won't be hard to learn with.
I agree with everything except the "17.5 is not really that fast" part.

The TA02 was a revolutionary thing back twenty-five years ago, and I personally love them for collecting and rally. But they're nowhere near competitive in handling or appropriate gearing options for racing today, even completely modified and hopped up.

To be competitive in 17.5, you will still have to work up to the speeds that can be reached. Start slow (maybe smaller pinions or lowered throttle epa) at first, until you get the hang of the car and its setup. By the time you're ready for its full race speed, you'll be much more familiar with everything else about the car too.

Enjoy the TA02 for what it's good for these days - a nostalgic design and a flashy body. Take it out every now and then to play with. But for racing, get the IF14 going sooner rather than later.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you both for your replies.

I did one more session with the Tamiya yesterday, with some used tires from the IF-14 and a new Savox servo that I will put in the IF-14 as well and those two changes already made a big difference! I could focus on my driving, hand feeling and so on. It was good to gain some experience, already some seconds down per lap compared to the first day.

Now I already have all the parts to make the IF-14 ready to race (lipo, 17.5T, fast servo, good tires) , so the next time I will be driving it with the default setup. Will post here my experiences with it.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Last Sunday I went to the circuit already with my IF-14. I wanted to start with a base setup and get used to the car and the speed (wow!) and a nice guy in there helped me with the setup. From there I could do many laps and by doing one change in the setup every time I already felt big differences in handling. These cars are amazing! They are also very robust because I as soon as I got a bit of confidence I started pushing and hitting all the barriers in the circuit (it's an indoor one, very small).
I will do one more day indoors and then move to the outdoor big circuit and see how it goes!