R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #256
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracingkid
Martin, My skin peels when i touch shock oil

Seriously i think there has to be some way to make compound that isn't too hard on people, i personally like the niftec because you never really touch it, it goes on easily and evaporates. I found most of the time when i get compound on me its from using a rag to scrub tires off. It may not be an answer, but it may help...o yea, its more convienient to.
Hey Mike,

Now that my skin is sooo senstive, it also now gets irritated by shock oil as well....becomes very very itchy. I like the niftec as well because it drys so quickly I don't have to scrub the tires and thus reduce the chances of getting the stuff on my hands. The vapours however do seem to affect my breathing....wheezeing etc.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad that I am not the only one experiencing problems, as I think it will take a lot of pushback from the racing communicty for the manufactures to do somthing about it.

M
Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #257
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Maybe there is a chemical test that can be administered to detect the presence of these chemicals?

At the end of the day, I believe we can all work with less grip, but ensuring that no one is cheating by using these compounds (assuming they are banned) is a big problem. However I think it can be overcome with a few more tech inspectors at a race and a little more organization. Maybe the answer is not to ban these compounds but to get the manufactures produce safer compounds and label the chemicals that go into their product. So when Scotty and others choose the compound for a race they choose the compound that has less harmful chemicals.
Yes, I was going to recommend that- a chemical test strip if there is one would be one answer to cheating tech. Of coarse you would need to know what chems you are testing for...

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #258
Tech Apprentice

Hey dont you think the racers that supported you last year,should have first dibs on registration for this years race?.You have last years entry list.Just let last years racers register a week earlier,than after that first come.

JUST A THOUGHT

AL
Old 04-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #259
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Boy... remember last years IIC practice rounds.... before there was a groove.... everyone was driving a drift car Looked cool but I doubt anyone wanted to race on that. I dont know that a new carpet would provide enough traction with out using some type of traction compound.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #260
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy800
Hey dont you think the racers that supported you last year,should have first dibs on registration for this years race?.You have last years entry list.Just let last years racers register a week earlier,than after that first come.

JUST A THOUGHT

AL
Interesting idea there!!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:

JUST A THOUGHT

AL
No, that's unfair to people who couldn't go last year! Start fresh, everyone has the same chance to get in.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #262
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JohnMatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
No, that's unfair to people who couldn't go last year! Start fresh, everyone has the same chance to get in.
I disagree. Support those who supported it first.

I also have wanted a preregestation week for those that went last year. As long as the event fills up, it shouldn’t matter.

Do it just like a sports team does it with season tickets.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #263
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Daddy Boomer

Quote:
JUST A THOUGHT
AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35
Interesting idea there!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMatrix
Support those who supported it first.

I also have wanted a preregestation week for those that went last year. As long as the event fills up, it shouldn’t matter.

Do it just like a sports team does it with season tickets.

This is the reason that this year, we have given everyone enough notice to when the entry will be available. If you attended the innaugural IIC in 2005, you know the fun, the value and the exciting one of a kind experience that awaits you in the bright lights of Vegas.

With the notice that is available, there should be no reason for someone who enjoyed last years event, would hesitate to get the entry in as quickly as possible for this year.

We intend to keep this event as a first come first served basis. This is how we have run all of Scotty's races for the past 10+ years and this is how we plan to do them in the future.

And as JRX-S said
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Just so people know, I missed out on last year's IIC as a driver and just went as a spectator. Hardly missed the driving aspect because it was such a great show of talent. Even if I don't make it in this year, I will still go to spectate. Obviously, I had a terrific time and highly recommend it.
If you can't come to race, come and spend the weekend and watch some GREAT racing. Heck it is Vegas! There is ALWAYS SOMETHING TO DO!

On a side note Scotty, JW, and myself are going to the SouthCoast next week and will be coming back with a bunch of pictures and news from the 2006 IIC. Check the website next week for the latest news and happenings about the race.
With that being said there may be a slight delay if questions arise while I am out there. We will have our laptops along so I will try to check in once in a while..... and no yeti i will not post pictures of strippers for you.

We hope each of you are able to attend this years race as we hope it will be better than last year. We have a brand new hotel, a bigger ballroom, and a lot of surprises up our sleeves

Come and enjoy the experience that is the 2006 IIC whether it be racing or watching. You won't be disappointed.

Cya
Boomer

Last edited by Big Daddy Boomer; 04-06-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:02 AM   #264
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Boomer
and no yeti i will not post pictures of strippers for you. Cya
Boomer
And why the hell not!!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:25 AM   #265
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Tony, Glad to see that others like yourself would also like to see it banned, and I agree if anyone can influence this it is Scotty. However you and AdrianM have a very good point about the challenges of doing this. I would like to know more about he scenario you described in you post where it was tried and failed. Did it fail because some people would use it anyway and not get caught, causing everyone to go back to using it? Or did it fail because the grip was not good enough?
This was outdoors with foam tyres. Grip was good, but with traction compound (Jack) you quite simply had an extra lap on a 17-18 lap track. Even tyres that had been used with traction compound at another event you still gained about half a lap. Big incentive for people to get creative!

But even without people being creative other people will believe they did. I am sure being as good as you are that you know the "he's so fast he must be cheating" kind of reaction. Problem is that people will believe that and start cheating themselves creating a snowball effect.

With rubber tyres the difference is less pronounced as the additive only really works for the first couple of laps. After that the tyres heat up and the rubber itself provides most of the traction. But in today's competitive races losing 2-3 seconds in the first few laps can set you back 10 places easy...

Quote:
In terms of making sure people don't cheat, and use odourless compounds this is certainly a difficult and the biggest hurdle to overcome. Perhaps with enough thought however a solution can be developed. We could have the tires handed out and taken back for each round by the tech inspection. This would require more people and organization. Maybe there is a chemical test that can be administered to detect the presence of these chemicals?

At the end of the day, I believe we can all work with less grip, but ensuring that no one is cheating by using these compounds (assuming they are banned) is a big problem. However I think it can be overcome with a few more tech inspectors at a race and a little more organization.
True, but this is a problem all on its own. Not sure about your end of the world, but at our end it is difficult enough, especially for the smaller races, to find enough volunteers as it is. Adding these kinds of extra activities will be difficult. The chemical test idea is probably the best option, but for that we need to know what to test for and how. Which brings us to your next point

Quote:
Maybe the answer is not to ban these compounds but to get the manufactures produce safer compounds and label the chemicals that go into their product. So when Scotty and others choose the compound for a race they choose the compound that has less harmful chemicals.
I think this is the better direction. Like most of us I like racing more when there is good grip. Then again I like to stay at least a little healthy while doing so too. Knowing what is in the additives and how hazardous they are to our health will help a lot. Moreover if organizers and racers start choosing the safer additives then I am sure the companies producing them will have a true incentive to develop additives that are save to use.

On another note, maybe we should move this discussion to a separate thread? It is too important not to have, but I don't think we should hijack Scotty's IIC thread for it any longer.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #266
Tech Fanatic

Default ..

yeah...good point on hijacking scotty's forum....sorry about that Scotty & Boomer. I will create another thread on it's own.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #267
Tech Elite

It does make for interesting reading but this thread is about an upcoming race and it may be better to start another thread. I still hope you guys are going to try to attend this race for it was a lot of fun last year and I am sure it will be as much if not more so this year!!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #268
Tech Elite

Quote:

JUST A THOUGHT

AL
Yeah, I have an idea. Lets have a race, and everyone that comes this year will be the only ones allowed to come next year, unless there is room for others...
I didn't know it was an "invitational" race....

Good thing its not, cause I couldn't go last year, but my friends and I allready have the room booked for this year. I'll be there.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #269
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35
It does make for interesting reading but this thread is about an upcoming race and it may be better to start another thread. I still hope you guys are going to try to attend this race for it was a lot of fun last year and I am sure it will be as much if not more so this year!!

Yeah...this race is by far the best race on the planet based on my experience last year...I will be there for sure. Scotty is da-man.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #270
Tech Master

Quote:
Just let last years racers register a week earlier,than after that first come.
JUST A THOUGHT
AL
Good thing that's only your thought That might be a nice thing to do for the A-main drivers like they do for the Reedy races, but other than that... NOT!!
E
Closed Thread