R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #241
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 326
Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Send a message via AIM to letitroll
Default

When you say first come first serve do you mean when you actually recieve the entry forms or when they are post marked? I was told a rumor that it went by postmark time therefore overnighting the form would be useless. Is this true?
letitroll is offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #242
Tech Elite
 
Yeti35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SL, UT
Posts: 2,804
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Well I got my room reserved today and now just need to set money aside for gas down to LV. Oh and I guess I need to be home when the form comes out so I can race also!! Road trip with the Treg!!
__________________
JRXS Type R, I have four of them!! ;) ( Yes, I still have them!!)And racing one of them again!!
22 3.0SR
22T 2.0 w/ Exotech chassis

Last edited by Yeti35; 04-04-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Yeti35 is offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #243
Tech Elite
 
Turbonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium
Default

well, my room is booked as well, i think Derek got that taken care of. still gotta plan flights, and save up $$$!!!
__________________
Wes

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #244
Tech Master
 
Scotty Ernst's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MILWAUKEE
Posts: 1,553
Default

Hello everyone, Great to see all the talk and interest in the IIC. I cannot believe that it is only 167 days untill we take over the Southcoast. You guys will love the New hotel. We will be there next week and will take a bunch of pics so you can see exactly how nice this place is.

As most of you guys know the entry form will go live on line May 1st @ Noon CST. We will be taking entries for the IIC on a first come basis via post mark date, all I can say is do not wait to send in your entries. We are going to sell out fast. We will have openings for around 400 entries plus team drivers.
To our drivers from overseas. If you are going to join us, make sure you send in your entires right away and follow it up with an email to [email protected] to give us a heads up that your entry is comming. Obviously the first week of May for us is going to be quite crazy, so we ask everyone to be patient about finding out if you are in. We will have names listed on our website as soon as we get things sorted out.

Hotel info is listed on the website for those that would like to make their reservations online. For those that want to call in, we will have the group# and phone number listed on the site later today. To answer the questions regarding room rates. I negotiated extremly hard to get the best rate we could. Normall practice in Vegas is lower rate during the week and HIGH price on the weekend, we worked out a flat rate of $89 dollars for your whole stay. And once you guys see these rooms, you will see that you got an OUTSTANDING deal. Just as last year at the Stardust. To participate in the IIC you need to be staying at the Southcoast, (unless you live in the Vegas area)

Classes will be the same as last year. Stock Rubber & Foam. 19T rubber & Foam. Mod Rubber & Foam. 1/12th Stock and Mod. 1/12th classes will have a limit of 40 racers per class.
Again as last year, you can only run 2 classes unless your 3rd class is a 1/12th scale class, then you will be allowed 3 classes.

All class rules and regulations, motors, batteries and cost of each class ect, will be listed soon on the site.

Tire traction. This is obviously a sensitive topic to many. For 2 years we have used Jack the Gripper at Trackside for the Novak race and last year at the IIC it was used with great success. Obviously I am concerned about the drivers who feel they received nose bleeds at the races they attended, but at both Novak races and at last years IIC, we did not have any problems at all like this, (that was brought to my attention). None of us will know if the additive we put on our tires caused this problem or was it a change in climate that the racer experienced or numerous other things. I can only go with my past experience as a racer and as a event promoter. I have been very happy with the results of Jack the Gripper and I am hoping we will again be able to use this as our controlled tire additive.

That is the latest info regarding the race. As always if anyone has any questions, please let us know and my Bro Boomer will be there to help out. We will let you know how things go when we get back next week and give you the lastest scoop on our new home for the IIC. Take care,

Cya
Scotty
Scotty Ernst is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 04:54 AM   #245
Tech Elite
 
HarshGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 3,379
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I'm on vacation ..booking hotel for another vacation (IIC) ...gotta love the internet
__________________
http://www.arroyoc.com
http://www.gearchart.com
http://www.weracemountainbikes.com
HarshGuy is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #246
Tech Elite
 
Big Daddy Boomer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trackside Hobbies Milwaukee
Posts: 2,631
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Daddy Boomer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitroll
When you say first come first serve do you mean when you actually recieve the entry forms or when they are post marked? I was told a rumor that it went by postmark time therefore overnighting the form would be useless. Is this true?
We are going by post mark.... But it will be the first come first served for the ones received by post mark date also.

If it gets filled by people who have it post marked on the same day but it takes someones entry form an extra 3 or 4 days because of regular mail, that is out of our control.

The cut off is going to come and there are going to be people that are left out. Make sure it gets in as quickly as possible.

Boomer
Big Daddy Boomer is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #247
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,237
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Worth
Just go here Bill. The codes already there. R.W.

https://reservations.synxis.com/lbe/...rt=09/24/06%20
Thanks for that info Rick. I'm registered.

Just so people know, I missed out on last year's IIC as a driver and just went as a spectator. Hardly missed the driving aspect because it was such a great show of talent. Even if I don't make it in this year, I will still go to spectate. Obviously, I had a terrific time and highly recommend it.
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #248
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,237
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
I'm on vacation ..booking hotel for another vacation (IIC) ...gotta love the internet
And I always thought that your were just "out to lunch" bro...
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #249
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACKSIDE
Tire traction. This is obviously a sensitive topic to many. For 2 years we have used Jack the Gripper at Trackside for the Novak race and last year at the IIC it was used with great success. Obviously I am concerned about the drivers who feel they received nose bleeds at the races they attended, but at both Novak races and at last years IIC, we did not have any problems at all like this, (that was brought to my attention). None of us will know if the additive we put on our tires caused this problem or was it a change in climate that the racer experienced or numerous other things. I can only go with my past experience as a racer and as a event promoter. I have been very happy with the results of Jack the Gripper and I am hoping we will again be able to use this as our controlled tire additive.
Hey Scotty, I appreciate that you are sensitive to this topic as it does affect everyone, and I hope you continue to give it consideration. At the IIC last year my breathing was not affected nearly as bad as Cleveland, likely because my room did not get contaminated at IIC like it does as Cleveland. However just so you have the facts, I did experience wheezing, congestion and skin problems. Also Scotty, when you came up for the magma race at fast cats you saw for yourself that this stuff affects my skin and my breathing. If you have any doubt in your mind that this is caused by these traction compounds let me assure you they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer
hey Martin that may be all fine and dandy with you touring car guys but I love 12th scale and I doubt you could make a mod 12th scale get around any track without the use of some additive and still keep some sense of control over it. and as for asphalt racing I still use paragon outdoors with foam tires and my mod touring car. and I ran paragon on my rubber tyres on pavement also.

I believe that motorspray probably has more carcinogens in it then tire compound. I use to love my 1.1.1 tricloroethylene but then Martin you probaby want cell phones banned as they cause cancer also.

jack the slipper may not smell but yes it's toxic and i hate that stupid applicator "brush"

Hi nashrcracer - Actually I have tried touring car rubber, foam and 1/12th scale mod without traction compound, and yes there is less grip but I can still get the car around the track just fine. I am really not trying to be rude here, but perhaps if you suffer like I do you would not take such an attitude towards my call to ban traction compounds. When people that get diagnosed with lung cancer from smoking I bet they have a different attitude than before they got the cancer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
70 allergies? Man, someone should have washed thier hands before picking up that track burger!

I hear you Martin...traction compound is nasty stuff. However, I think eliminating traction compounds would kill racing. Some people have a hard enough time getting thier cars around the track. If you took away traction compound they would be completely lost.
Hi AdriamM : Lol re: the track burger . But all kidding aside, I donít know that I agree with you that taking traction compound away would kill racing. Tirewarmers can go a long way to helping bring back some traction and once a groove of foam or rubber is put down won't the grip come up to a reasonable level? The level of grip of rubber tires is not even close to that of foam, but we still have great races on rubber tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv
I agree Martin, problem is that it actually has been tried before and failed. With the non-smelling additives it is just about impossible to truly ban it. There will always be someone that either puts the additive on before going to the track, or goes of site to put it on. Once dry you simply don't know who did and did not use any.

But, if anybody can find a way it'll be Scotty. While I like grip, getting away from the chemicals would be great in my book. And while we're at it, let's ban motor spray and brake cleaner as well. There is pretty nasty stuff in most of those too. And it's airborne...
Hey Tony, Glad to see that others like yourself would also like to see it banned, and I agree if anyone can influence this it is Scotty. However you and AdrianM have a very good point about the challenges of doing this. I would like to know more about he scenario you described in you post where it was tried and failed. Did it fail because some people would use it anyway and not get caught, causing everyone to go back to using it? Or did it fail because the grip was not good enough?

In terms of making sure people don't cheat, and use odourless compounds this is certainly a difficult and the biggest hurdle to overcome. Perhaps with enough thought however a solution can be developed. We could have the tires handed out and taken back for each round by the tech inspection. This would require more people and organization. Maybe there is a chemical test that can be administered to detect the presence of these chemicals?

At the end of the day, I believe we can all work with less grip, but ensuring that no one is cheating by using these compounds (assuming they are banned) is a big problem. However I think it can be overcome with a few more tech inspectors at a race and a little more organization. Maybe the answer is not to ban these compounds but to get the manufactures produce safer compounds and label the chemicals that go into their product. So when Scotty and others choose the compound for a race they choose the compound that has less harmful chemicals.
__________________
Martin Crisp
Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com

Last edited by Martin Crisp; 04-05-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Martin Crisp is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #250
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Maybe the answer is not to ban these compounds but to get the manufactures produce safer compounds and label the chemicals that go into their product. So when Scotty and others choose the compound for a race they choose the compound that has less harmful chemicals.
Martin, I think this is the best solution to the problem. Everyone's happy then. We get the grip we want from the tires and stay healthy at the same time.

The only ill effects I've ever personally experienced (to my knowledge at least) is getting very light headed at SoCal the first few times I went from the Paragon. Since then, I've gotten a few headaches from being around it but it's more of an annoyance because of the nasty smell than anything. My hands do get really dry from motor spray and I use gloves when I'm at home using it. Some peoples bodies are more sensitive to this sort of stuff than others.
Jon Kerr is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #251
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 827
Default ..

hey Jon,

I agree with you that changing the compounds is likely the best for all concerned. Plus how cool is it for the manufacture that provides such a compound that is much less harmful to us...talk about generating good will and loyalty from the consumers....and positioning your product to be the product of choice at all major races.

Glad to hear that you are not experiencing the problems that I am. I should tell you that when I first started this hobby I only experience what you experience now. It was only in the last couple of years that I have developed these much more challenging problems.
__________________
Martin Crisp
Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #252
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,587
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Martin, what compound did you normally use? Paragon? Do you use a lot of motor spray?

Just wondering what my fufture looks like...
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #253
Tech Fanatic
 
RobS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chatham, Ontario
Posts: 878
Default

I agree with Martin, a new safer compound is a must. Not to mention it would be sitting on a gold mine knowing its the safest product on the market. Its always made me wonder reading all of the warnings on the cans what health issues may arise in my future...
__________________
Rob Say
Action Hobbies Kingsville
"In racing you never really lose. You either win, or learn."
RobS is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #254
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
Martin, what compound did you normally use? Paragon? Do you use a lot of motor spray?

Just wondering what my fufture looks like...
Hi robk,
I used paragon for my first 3 years and then switched to jack the gripper for the last 3 years. During my first three years I was at the track at least 3 days per week every week. Over the past 3 years it is about 1 to 2 times per week depending on how my hands feel. I did take a month break just before Vegas last year and my hands were in much better shape after the month break. However after Vegas they had degraded again. I don't use much motor spray at all to be honest. I have been using gloves when handling the stuff for about a year now. Sometimes when I am in a hurry or lazy I have not been using the gloves. It is difficult to work on the cars with gloves on, and there is always some left over compound on the setup board, tires etc that once I take them off my hands pick up some compound.

I am sure that everyone is affected differently and at different rates.
__________________
Martin Crisp
Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline  
Old 04-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #255
Tech Elite
 
Mike Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Area 51
Posts: 3,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
I am sure that everyone is affected differently and at different rates.
Martin, My skin peels when i touch shock oil

Seriously i think there has to be some way to make compound that isn't too hard on people, i personally like the niftec because you never really touch it, it goes on easily and evaporates. I found most of the time when i get compound on me its from using a rag to scrub tires off. It may not be an answer, but it may help...o yea, its more convienient to.
__________________
Team Associated - Reedy Power - Sweep - Protoform - TQ Wire - Lacher paint
Mike Haynes is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vegas Warm Up Sept 8-10, 2006 Silver Northwest Racers 86 09-11-2006 08:56 AM
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2006 richey Nitro On-Road 326 04-29-2006 01:28 AM
Las Vegas 2006 Winter Wind-Up richey Nitro On-Road 130 02-10-2006 11:27 AM
2006 IIC in VEGAS fjm9898 Electric On-Road 75 02-09-2006 08:49 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:24 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net