R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Things happen in a race so fast that it's hard to imagine a race announcer guiding the cars around the track. He can call out first, second, and third, but that doesn't help the guys in 8th, 9th, and 10th, who don't know that the leaders look like. It's up to the leaders to tell the lapped traffic that their car is coming up and they are the leader.

example:

"Green car, the leader is coming in the red car"

Green car moves over

"Thanks green car"

"You're welcome"

That's all it takes on the drivers stand. RKeasler and CoryCraig can attest to how much us three communicate on the stand, when getting lapped, and lapping traffic. We almost always have clean races for the lead, and hardly ever does lapped traffic effect the outcome of the race, but all the locals are vocal on the stand with each other.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #17
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A couple of my thoughts on this issue.

-As previously stated...a good race director is key He/she should not only call out that the leader is coming up, but should call out which car its coming up on and who it is trying to get by. And of course, it helps if the race director knows the racers. But if he doesn't, use car discriptions.

-Racers have the right to race whether its for the lead, or for 9th and 10th. So if the leader is coming up on two cars battling for their position, he/she can't expect both cars to just park and let him by.

-Sometimes its hard to get out the way I think we make getting lapped sound a little easy sometimes. I mean if you have someone coming up on you, they're likely faster. Question is, where do you let them by? A good spot for you, may suck for them, and vice versa. And if they're A LOT faster, the person getting lapped may not have much time to think about 'how' to let the leader by.

-The leader doesn't own the track Believe it or not, the leader doesn't own the track. Blue flags and race directors may say that people need to let the leader by, but that doesn't mean they have to park off the racing line to do it. Sometimes the LEADER is the one who has to go off line to get by. It may not be ideal, but it may be required.

-Learn to drive straight!!!Many of the lap traffic problems I have seen have occured...amazingly enough...not in the corners, but on the straight away. Why? Cause people can't drive straight! The leader, who usually has more motor...thus why their the leader , tries to make a clean pass, but 'bucky crocked eyes' down the stand can't drive his/her car straight. So you end up with a leader rear-ending a lapper, and the leader looks like the bad guy.

-Racers do have memories So when guys simply plow lap traffic out of the way to get by quicker without even giving them a chance to move, you can expect that person to not be so inclined to get out the way in the future...so play nice.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We also have a good running dialogue during a race, especially if I have someone hot on my tail. I tell the last person I lapped to make their car as wide as possible.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

someone mentioned full course yellows. hrrrrrmmmm, this might actually have possibility. do fixed lap races (that average out to about 5 minutes), no turn martialling as we know it. if 2 cars crash, i.e. get stuck in the wall, full course yellow comes out. no position changes. the crashed cars get pulled for that race and you let everyone bunch up single file to do a rolling restart (no passing before the starting line of the green lap). i bet most people would drive much more catiously. there would also be less turn martial oriented incidents.

to agree with most others though, it pretty much ALL starts with the race director.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Talk is cheap! I hate to here someone on the stand looking for a way by. If your that fast then go around me!! If not, don't beg, I'll find a spot to get you some room. I don't know how many times I've let a leader by, just to pass them later and finish right behind them. It gets very frustrating at the least. I concentrate on what I'm doing, if I know your faster, I'll let you by when I'm not racing for position. Just my two cents.
BeetleBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Around here, the "Pro" stock guys will race you hard in practice (I don't make the main so I don't know how they race). Rubbin' and bumpin', the works. I just don't get it. I'm slow, so all it will take is patience enough to wait until I blow the very next corner. They can slip by on the inside, but noooooo, they have to drive through me and other people. Again, this is in practice. This is also a small tight track, so that may have something to do with it. It's just frustrating to get beat on by the guys that win the A in our "Pro" class.

I agree that some courtesy should be shown to the leaders, but if the slower cars are continually stopping to let the fast guys by, it gets discouraging. If the fast guys are good, then they should be able to make the pass easily. Slow guys just hold the line.

There needs to be a balance somehow. Don't know what it is.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nest time they blow by you, give'em one of these.Your Number One Signal

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think a lot of people don't realize how little room is actually needed for good drivers to get by cleanly. I've noticed that most people who let the leaders go by, will overcompensate and slow themselves down way too much. They will slow down or go way out of the way leaving 3-8 feet of room. A good driver only needs 10" - 20" to sneak by on the inside. For those that overcompensate, I think this is a result of either lack of skill or not realizing how little room is actually needed.

At our track, most of the racers are very courteous. Our club president does a good job of talking to those that aren't courteous after the race (or end of the race night) and encourages them to slide high and allow the leaders to get by.

If a driver is faster than me, it's because he has more driving skill, or his car is set up better. If he is consistently pulling on me, I will always let this faster person go by when he comes up behind me. Especially for oval, where speed is king. If I am slower, I recognize that I probably have lost the race before the tone even sounds, due to my car setup or poor gearing choice. There is no reason to interfere with another person's race and I let them by. It was my own fault to begin with. I'll get them next time.

So, if you are getting lapped, slide high, but just a little bit. This way, you can tuck in behind the leader and lose very little time, and keep your rythm going. Plus, if you slow down to much, then your going to get lapped just that much sooner by the leaders again. Keep your rythm, practice giving less room to the leaders. Stay consistent and predictable, and the leaders will sneak by and everyone will be happy.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning
Around here, the "Pro" stock guys will race you hard in practice (I don't make the main so I don't know how they race). Rubbin' and bumpin', the works. I just don't get it. I'm slow, so all it will take is patience enough to wait until I blow the very next corner. They can slip by on the inside, but noooooo, they have to drive through me and other people. Again, this is in practice. This is also a small tight track, so that may have something to do with it. It's just frustrating to get beat on by the guys that win the A in our "Pro" class.

I agree that some courtesy should be shown to the leaders, but if the slower cars are continually stopping to let the fast guys by, it gets discouraging. If the fast guys are good, then they should be able to make the pass easily. Slow guys just hold the line.

There needs to be a balance somehow. Don't know what it is.
Sounds like you need a controlled practice or a better race director.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #25
Tech Master

There are a lot of good points here.When I used to call races I would announce the leader --the color of his car or where he was on the track.I felt that after I identified the leader it was up to the slower driver to either move over or be a road block.If the slow driver chose the latter it didn't reflect too well on him.I also used to identify 2nd, 3rd, fourth,etc.I always gave lap times for all the drivers and announced their final positions.There is usually more than one car in a race and I felt they should also be recognized.
The fast guys have got to realize that the cars they are lapping might be in a battle of their own,be it for third, fourth or fifth place.They can't move over the instant the fast guys arrive.
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #26
Tech Adept

One of the best examples of lapped traffic getting out of the way
was at the 2004 worlds. They just get the hell out of the way and then
continue with their race.
remember there is a much bigger difference betwen 1st and 2nd than there
is betwen 9th and 10th.
Simon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who cares...quit crying. Some folks can't drive that well so get over it.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
Who cares...quit crying. Some folks can't drive that well so get over it.
Straight from "lap traffic's mouth". Just kidding Sean, I still love ya. There definitely is a level of courtesy missing from some drivers. If your class is filled with good drivers who are always set apart by seconds, you need to let the top drivers through. Sorry, this wasn't your week. Face it, you're not going to make up the 10 to 12 seconds you're already down. If you drive with a bunch of hacks, make the guy earn the pass. It makes for better entertainment for the spectators.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #29
Tech Addict

It funny how some club racers qualify well but have all kinds of problems with lapped traffic week after week while other fast qualifiers don't. The guy that consistantly wins around here is the guy that qualifies well AND can get around in traffic.
Personally, I've got quite a bit faster lately and I'm finding myself getting into guys on the end of straight-aways. It seems like once the slow traffic picks a line and get into it, I know where they are going and can avoid or pass them in the corner. But figuring out where they are turning in at is anyone's guess. I've found a few guys that you almost have to pass on the outside, then stay high the next corner so they don't t-bone you at the apex. Personally, I think the challenge of racing with a wide variety of racers is challenging and can be fun.
jasons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

RC racing is similar to the real deal (SCCA or other). If someone catches you, they did so for a reason (they are faster), so move over. The faster driver usually gives a few turns to figure what the deal is, and if there is no sign of giving room, the chrome-horn is used (major t-bone is best).

If a slower car hammers the faster car, the slower car is remembered ďand hammeredĒ, given any opportunity in future events regardless of wasting a qualifier or race.

Some people just donít get it. They are clueless (or at least lead you to believe this), and donít move. I have been on the slow end, and always move over (unless its for position with no other cars around). If you are slower and donít move, you WILL get punted. Donít think the other drivers donít know which car you drive and who you are......especially when you are slow, and you hack them!

Revenge is best for me regardless of which side I am on. If I deserve it, let it be!
nopainnogain is offline   Reply With Quote