Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2002, 09:08 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Don't bother what?
rcracer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:16 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry,you guys must be typing faster than I am !! Don't bother with the Piranha charger.
I think Ijnek mentioned it earlier...Any charger with a "dial" type timer is not worth having. You'll out grow it quickly.
Peak Detect is a function you really should look for.
Again, Did you look for the chargers I suggested?
I'm offering the battery I have for FREE....You want it?
By the way...Not picking on your choice of the package deal from Tower but we're trying to get you to buy equipment that will be good for you for a longer period of time. I started the same way...A package deal with crappy charger and basic battery....Outgrew it within a month and could'nt sell the stuff for half what I paid.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:49 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking Hey racer

I am also new (only about 6 months) I hate to bring again it up but definetly go with the u build vs. RTR that was the best thing I did..like u said it helps u learn alot about the hobby and what makes the car work..have u looked at all on E-bay..I know there was a couple of Novak chargers that are on there for right around ur price range..I live in Canada so the US $ makes it a bit more expensive for me and Ebay is actually quite easy to deal with..I have bought numerous items off with great success..Right now I know there is a Novak digi peak (without the screen but oh well) that is going for ur price and it comes in original box with instructions.. I just bought A brand New Schumacher Axis 2 pro for $80 US around $130 Canadian..If I was to go buy that at my LHS(local hobby shop) it is priced at $350Canadian..
I know it was also mentioned but I strongly recomend taking in a few races joining the club spend a little time at the hobby shop talking to the guy's and gals..They won't mind answering questions (hey your going to be spending money there of coursethey will answer) I also suggest U go with the Reedy MVP I know I don't have years of experiance but I did ALOT of researching and it seems to be one of the more popular motors and it wins too!!
Sorry about the length but I know exactly what it is like not knowing about something and wanting a little reassurance that u are making the right decision..I too am racing on a budget so every purchase has to be a good one that will cover alot for not so much$$
Lastly ask these guy's questions on every forum u can these are very knowledgable people plus u get lots of feedback..
feel free to PM me if u have any other questions I will direct u best I can to where I found the answers.

ciao for now
Blain(racerb)
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 10:39 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Default Cons of 1500 mah @ 4 amps

rcracer123;

The ONLY con is, IF you REALLY want to race. You may not be be able to make runtime in a 5 minute race with a 1500 mah pack. Also by charging at 4 amps, you will get left in the dust by the guys that are charging at 5 or more amps.

racerb;

I DO NOT reccomend the MVP to someone fairly new to electric racing. The MVP needs some special tuning to work well and this is probally more than the average novice can handle. They also run VERY hot without this tuning.

I would reccomend a P2K-Pro for a first motor. Comes pre-tuned and is a high torque motor that will handle some over gearing better than most others without burning up.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 07:30 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Here's my thoughts...

Get the TC3 - sport 2 is close to being discontinued, already has been in europe and asia, although it is a decent beginners car.

Get 2000 capacity batteries as a minimum - when you start racing, you'll struggle to get runtime in stock class (at a competitive speed) with anything of a lower capacity - and not lasting a race is VERY frustrating.

Get a peak charger - there's no need to go over the top, something that charges at 4 to 5A, and is safe with the NiMH batteries should be enough.

The MVP and Core motors both run hot - the trinity stocks are a slightly better club racers choice, cos they run cooler.

The Futaba MC230 is a decent speed controller, but it's limit is 20 turns, so realistically it's only good for stock motors - it might be worth getting a more expensive controller, with a low motor limit, to start with if you think you'll be running modifieds in the near future.

A standard servo is fine for a touring car - I was running one for a couple of months recently while my fast sevo was giving me trouble - and the only place I noticed a difference was in the fast chicanes.

It's worth getting a transmitter with the "Dual rates" and "end point" settings on the steering, it means you can set the steering servo so it doesn't strain itself at full lock.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 07:41 AM   #36
Tech Apprentice

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6085&P=1
are these any good?
If i get an MRC superbrain how long will it take to charge a 2000MAh pack at 4 amps? roughly.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:43 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

One more thing. this has been a question of mine, how can one 27 turn motor be any faster than another 27 turn? i was looking at the trinity stock and the trinity stock pro? whats the difference? and also what should i look for in a stock motor?
Old 11-29-2002, 08:05 AM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Do you have to replace brushes on the stock motors? how long do they last?
Old 11-29-2002, 08:10 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Yowsa....Dude...Are you reading the previous messages !!...Popsracer was cool enough to give you a heads up regarding the Peak "Max" battery packs.....
everything Sosidge say's is good also....I'd go even further wuth the batteries though...Even a 2000 is on the weak side for a 5 minute race...Unless it's a really good pack,one thats way out of your stated budget .Try to find a good deal on 3000 nickel metal hydride. Nickel cadmium is being phased out of use primarily because they are bad for the environment when disposed of.
Also , Buy a "matched pack" if you can. Check out www.promatchracing.com. They are only one of many companies that provide batteries. They have some great info on what makes a good battery.I find their prices to be some of the best around.
My offer stands for the FREE battery.Read previous messages.
Motors are different due to the internal design and purpose . Some have more torque, Some have more RPM. lots of other reasons. My personal choice for starting out is the Trinity P2K or P2K2 . Get the Pro version of either.

I would suggest you start writing some of these suggestions down.....I think you're getting a bit of information overload.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:21 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default popsracer

U are very right about the MVP Its just alot of the racers new and old are running them at our track..I too strongly suggest running A trinity P2K2 pro this is what I run

sorry for any False info one beginer may have given to another I just kinda know what racer123 is going thru since I am and have went thru the same delemas..

ciao for now
Blain
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 08:45 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Racerb,
Nothing wrong with your suggestions. beginners should share info at all times.
We all found out 1 truth when we first started......You WILL buy something that turns out to be a mistake....There are no guarantees .
RCRACER123 ..... Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the absolute best choices to get right now. As you develop as a racer,you will find your own style and start picking favorite manufacturers.
For now....I think the overall best suggested choices from all of us have been :
1. TC3 ....any version that fits your budget. NO RTR
2. Charger choice is still flexible but I think we've all mentioned the Super Brain 959 at least once. It's a good choice for now
3. Batteries...buy the best you can. Stick with 3000mah nmh . Buy them used if you have to.
Motor...Sound like we all suggested the Trinity P2K Pro or P2K2 Pro.
Start there and see what you think!! Good Luck
Old 11-29-2002, 08:47 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Default Maxx-packs & chargers

rcracer123;

I hope that we are not scaring you away with all of this talk of spending more money than you probably have at the moment. What it all boils down to that in R/C RACING, a little more money spent now on the purchase of better equipment will SAVE you more down the road.

ANY peak detection charger that will charge what ever type of battery (Ni-Cd/Ni-Mh) you decide to buy should work just fine. It's just that for RACING the better chargers allow you charge at the higher amp rates you need to be competitive and allow you to adjust and monitor the charging better.

Probably the minimum for batteries in stock RACING should be 1700 mah (they used to be the standard) if you can find them anymore. 2400 mah NiCd's are the most commonly used batteries in stock class RACING now.

AGAIN and I'm sure others have had the same problems as I, avoid the "Maxx-Pack" batteries sold by "PEAK". They are of such very poor quality, that you would be wasting any money spent on them.

The reason for buying the "PRO" tuned motors is that they already come with the best brushes and springs from the factory and have already been broken in. Many times you can find them for the same price as the standard motors or just a few dollars more.

Get the P2K-Pro for your very first stock motor. They are very forgiving and do not need any extra special tuning to make them run well. Yes, the brushes need to be changed/inspected once in awhile. I usually go 2 weekends or more on my brushes, but it depends alot on how you gear your car and how hot the motor gets.

One last thing. If you are truly on a limited budget, Tower Hobbies is a little higher than most of the Hobby Shops that I've ever been to. Shop around some more for better prices.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions,

Last edited by popsracer; 11-29-2002 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:53 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Default Ouch!!

Ouch!!
My fingers are bleeding!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:57 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Hey Pops,
Fingers Hell...My brain hurts !!!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:03 AM   #45
Tech Apprentice

Thanks alot for all your help, it has been very useful. I will try what you guys said. about the brushes, im just trying to figure out an average time that brushes last, can anyone give me an hourly rate of the top of their head? for example like hours of running and you probably need new brushes. I will probably go with the superbrain but still unsure about the pack, i will look more.
Thanks, any other suggestions welcome!